Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Cloning my ECU  (Read 45558 times)
carlossus

Leon Curpa Stg1+

« on: December 09, 2010, 03:19:39 PM »

I have just bought an ECU the same as mine (06A906032HN) so I can work on a switch-able map setup without risking my original HW.  Grin

Ideally I would like to have the immobiliser working with the new ECU so I have a couple of questions.

Is it even possible?

If I read the serial EEPROM and write to the new ECU's device, will that do it?
Are the key transponder codes also stored in the ECU?

I've dumped the EEPROM, but this thread...
http://www.nefariousmotorsports.com/forum/index.php?topic=89.0title=
suggests that some areas may not have read (protected?). The dumped file is 512bytes which is a full 4 Kbit as per the M95040 but the last 166 bytes are 00 so could be this was a protected area?

I don't mind opening the new ECU but I'd rather not violate the original if I can help it.

Any comments gratefully received.
kls

« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2010, 04:38:25 PM »

This is something I will be trying very soon myself. Although I'm going one step further and am buying an ECU with a different suffix at the end - hope it will work!

I will crack the case of the used ecu I am buying and dump the eeprom with a programmer and compare to a k-line dump.  When done I will report back.
carlossus

Leon Curpa Stg1+

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2010, 05:03:53 PM »

That's a good point actually. I can also compare the dumps from K-line vs SPI on my new ECU, cheers.

ArgDub

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2010, 02:18:00 AM »

Yes, just copy eeprom to make ecus interchangeable (clone) or you can adapt the ecu with rosstech procedure if you dont want to desolder, but being your car immo3 you will need both pin codes. The third option would be immo defeat the new ecu.

In volkswagen cars immo is integrated with instrument cluster and eeprom can be read through diagnostics port.

« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 07:46:14 AM by ArgDub » Logged
carlossus

Leon Curpa Stg1+

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2010, 04:53:53 AM »

I understand thank you.

I wont have the SKC's for the new ECU so cloning is the way to go. Hopefully the EEPROM dump I have is 100%. I'll post back once I've verified it.

Thanks.

For the sake of keeping the thread complete, here's the Vag-com process http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/cars/Immo3-ecu-swapping.html
carlossus

Leon Curpa Stg1+

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2010, 02:00:16 PM »

Hmm,

Plugged the new ECU (as I received it) to dump the flash prior to reprogramming / cloning, but it wont read as the "preconditions are not met" and it has to be installed in the car (which it is).

Is this because the immo3 is not yet matched to the instrument cluster and is therefore preventing the flash read?

I've attached the log from the session fyi.

Cheers.
setzi62

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2010, 04:00:14 PM »

Hmm,

Plugged the new ECU (as I received it) to dump the flash prior to reprogramming / cloning, but it wont read as the "preconditions are not met" and it has to be installed in the car (which it is).

Is this because the immo3 is not yet matched to the instrument cluster and is therefore preventing the flash read?

I've attached the log from the session fyi.

Cheers.

yep, if the ecu is not correctly authentifying with the immo it will not allow to turn on a
programming session for reading or writing the flash.
If you turn off ignition and then try to start the programming session, there is a kind of endless loop in the ecu, giving a responsePending answer forever, so also no success.
You first have to copy the contents of the eeprom from your working ECU  into the new ECU, then reading/writing flash should work.
Tony@NefMoto
Administrator

2001.5 Audi S4 Stage 3

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2010, 04:24:24 PM »

Thanks for attaching the log file. I was never 100% sure what that specific precondition requirement was, so I called it "ECU must be installed in car". But if the ECU was installed in the car without the immobilizer paired, then maybe the precondition should actually be "Immobilizer: ECU is not authenticated with Instrument Cluster".

Remember you have to log in if you want to see the file attachments!
Info or questions, please add to the wiki: http://www.nefariousmotorsports.com/wiki
Follow NefMoto developments on Twitter: http://twitter.com/nefmoto
kls

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2010, 02:21:48 AM »

I recently had this same problem with a VW 2.8l VR6 ECU - part # 022906032CS. I was able to read the ECU on the bench with Tony's software by removing the immobilizer. My ECU is Motronic 7.1.1 and only requires 4 bytes to be changed in the serial eeprom. I am not sure if they are all the same or not.

I also read the eeprom using Vag K+CAN and a proper programmer, the dumps are quite different. The Vag K+CAN dump is enough to see the immobilizer settings, IMMO ID, VIN and PIN but it is incomplete. So a 100% clone should really done by reading/writing the serial eeprom.
carlossus

Leon Curpa Stg1+

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2010, 07:29:38 AM »

Oh,

That's a shame but I'm not sure it's the same situation with the ME7.5. Were both EEPROM dumps the correct size?
kls

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2010, 11:22:34 AM »

They are different sizes. The Vag K+CAN eeprom dump was clearly taken from ram as some stuff is duplicated in the original eeprom that isn't in the Vag K+CAN dump.

Vag K+CAN also offers a write feature, I have tried it several times but no data has ever been written to the eeprom.
kls

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2010, 05:14:33 AM »

So I was successful in cloning my ME7.1.1 ECU today. I used an ECU from a 2.8 litre VR6 but programmed in the entire flash and eeprom images from my original 3.2 litre ECU. The eeprom was read/written using an UPA USB programmer. The flash was written by Galletto as Tony's program seems to not like R32 ECUs.
Even with Galletto I had a "change speed" error when trying to write the flash but it was fixed when I bypassed the immobilizer. After flashing the ECU I re-enabled it.

After I verified the cloned ECU worked with the factory flash I flashed in a tuned R32 file. I am not sure who did the file but it was taken from the ECU of a crashed R32. I can't really say if its made any difference yet, the roads were wet with a little snow tonight and a tune can only offer 10 to 20 HP max.

So cloning an ECU is no problem, and can work even with slightly different part numbers if the hardware is the same.

btw, if anyone wants to take a look at the tuned file versus the stock file let me know and I'll post or PM the images.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2010, 05:16:37 AM by kls » Logged
k0mpresd

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2010, 09:11:42 AM »

I understand thank you.

I wont have the SKC's for the new ECU so cloning is the way to go. Hopefully the EEPROM dump I have is 100%. I'll post back once I've verified it.

Thanks.

For the sake of keeping the thread complete, here's the Vag-com process http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/cars/Immo3-ecu-swapping.html

you can get the 5 digit pin codes from the 95040 read.
carlossus

Leon Curpa Stg1+

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2010, 11:33:34 AM »

you can get the 5 digit pin codes from the 95040 read.

Could you detail how to identify the code from the dump? Is this the usual 4 digit plus leading 0 that is readable via vag commander?

I'll clone if I can, but this'd be a good backup plan. At the moment the snow is stopping me getting anything useful done which is frustrating as hell.

Thanks.
k0mpresd

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2010, 02:18:04 PM »

yes, 4 digit plus leading 0. 0x32 and 0x33, swap hex bytes, so format is 3332, convert to decimal.
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: