Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Immo Off  (Read 19339 times)
jaymk89

« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2014, 08:05:02 AM »

Ok so I've bit the bullet and sent my ECU to have the Immo-off (my bank account is now £110 lighter) and will be receiving it back within the next 48hrs.

Can I just confirm that once the ECU has had Immo-off, this will be the end of it and I should not have this issue again? Am I also right in thinking that the ECU shouldn't need bootmode anymore and I can flash via the OBDII port?

Jay
oldcarguy85

« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2014, 08:34:00 AM »

Ok so I've bit the bullet and sent my ECU to have the Immo-off (my bank account is now £110 lighter) and will be receiving it back within the next 48hrs.

Can I just confirm that once the ECU has had Immo-off, this will be the end of it and I should not have this issue again? Am I also right in thinking that the ECU shouldn't need bootmode anymore and I can flash via the OBDII port?

Jay
sounds kind of steep to immo off the ECU (considering it takes about 5 minutes).  You will be fine to flash over OBD2 with the immo off ECU.  On my GTI, i have to remove one of the cluster fuses to flash or log.  It's the fuse that disables the gauges but keeps the clock and odometer running. 

P.S. - you can do bootmode in the car.  It's a bit tricky since you have to keep the EEPROM pin grounded while you connect the battery (ecu is powered even if key is off), but it's not too difficult.

Good luck!
jaymk89

« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2014, 08:43:12 AM »

Hi oldcarguy85,

That was the best price I could find around (1 place wanted £300!) if I remember rightly isn't the fuse no. 11 or 15 for the cluster?

Brilliant, at least with the Immo-off I should be good to go and shouldn't have this issue again? Can I confirm that if I flash via the OBD2 port that the Immo-Off will stay on the ECU? (I'm going to try do a backup of this once I get the ECU back, just in case)

I'm in the process of collecting all the parts to make my own Bench harness so will hopefully never have to send an ECU off again.

I tried to bootmode while the ECU was in the car, I disconnected the battery, put the keys in the ignition (2 clicks), hooked up the ECU, grounded out the pin and connected the battery, everytime I got an ECU cannot be read message, so I don't think it managed to get into bootmode at all.

Thanks!

Jay
oldcarguy85

« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2014, 09:16:55 AM »

Hi oldcarguy85,

That was the best price I could find around (1 place wanted £300!) if I remember rightly isn't the fuse no. 11 or 15 for the cluster?

Brilliant, at least with the Immo-off I should be good to go and shouldn't have this issue again? Can I confirm that if I flash via the OBD2 port that the Immo-Off will stay on the ECU? (I'm going to try do a backup of this once I get the ECU back, just in case)

I'm in the process of collecting all the parts to make my own Bench harness so will hopefully never have to send an ECU off again.

I tried to bootmode while the ECU was in the car, I disconnected the battery, put the keys in the ignition (2 clicks), hooked up the ECU, grounded out the pin and connected the battery, everytime I got an ECU cannot be read message, so I don't think it managed to get into bootmode at all.

Thanks!

Jay

Assuming they are defeating the immobilizer in the EEPROM, you should be fine.  It Is possible (as far as i know) to defeat with code in the actual flash, but I highly doubt that will be the case.  Definitely backup the EEPROM and flash before you do anything.
prj

« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2014, 12:52:39 PM »

sounds kind of steep to immo off the ECU (considering it takes about 5 minutes).

Disagree.
If I am doing an immo off professionally locally, I charge similar.
The reason is, that 20% goes straight out of the window as VAT, and another 20% is "income tax", if you want to take money out from the company.
And that's as dividends, if you want it as salary, there's another 30% social tax.

It's a different ballgame, when you are actually paying your taxes. Doing cash in hand it's somewhat steep yes.

PM's will not be answered, so don't even try.
Log your car properly.
B234R

« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2014, 01:15:31 PM »

Disagree.
If I am doing an immo off professionally locally, I charge similar.
The reason is, that 20% goes straight out of the window as VAT, and another 20% is "income tax", if you want to take money out from the company.
And that's as dividends, if you want it as salary, there's another 30% social tax.

It's a different ballgame, when you are actually paying your taxes. Doing cash in hand it's somewhat steep yes.

Exactly.

Most people have no idea at all what it is like to run a business. Or even start one from scratch.
No one notices the amount of work/time that running a business takes and even less that it actually costs a lot of money as well.
oldcarguy85

« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2014, 01:26:48 PM »

You guys are totally right.  As a legitimate business, that's a totally fair and reasonable price.  As an enthusiast who is cheap about everything, i would never dream of paying that much for an IMMO defeat.  but like I said, I'm cheap!
_nameless

« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2014, 07:18:28 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZSv0n4seBA

If you are in the market for a tune and would like the ease of downloading and flashing a dyno tested tune for a fair price check out https://instatune.sellfy.store/
jaymk89

« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2014, 07:30:47 AM »

Ok, I've now received my ECU back with the immobiliser bypassed (IMMO-OFF) started the car and it run fine, took it for a spin and the car felt good, turned it off and wouldn't start again unless I disconnected the battery for 5 minutes... Spoke to the company who done it and they advised that it could be an issue with the ignition relay, has anybody come across this before?!
vdubnation
Turboman
Global Moderator

« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2014, 08:17:10 AM »

When it doesn't start do you have a check engine light showing there is com. with the ecu ?
jaymk89

« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2014, 08:37:46 AM »

No check engine light and cannot connect to ecu, take the battery off for 5mons, reconnect it, still cannot connect to ecu but the car will start once only and then I have to repeat (take battery off for 5mins, reconnect and it starts)
ddillenger

« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2014, 08:43:17 AM »

Either your flash, or your eeprom has a bad checksum.

Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience!

Email/Google chat:
DDillenger84(at)gmail(dot)com

Email>PM
jaymk89

« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2014, 09:05:46 AM »

Ok, is there anyone on here from the UK that would be willing to look at this for some beer tokens/money? I haven't got a bench harness so can't do anything with this at the moment
jaymk89

« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2014, 12:12:14 PM »

Car has now died completely and won't start no matter what I do, taking the battery off and reconnecting after 5/10/30/60minutes does absolutely nothing. ECU still cannot be read, I have a nasty feeling it has now completely given up.
ddillenger

« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2014, 12:48:20 PM »

Open it up, take pictures of the eeprom. Sounds like someone did a shit soldering job.

Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience!

Email/Google chat:
DDillenger84(at)gmail(dot)com

Email>PM
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: