Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: Totally tech savvy, totally wrench savvy, totally scared lol... So how do I??  (Read 30147 times)
AboveNBeyond

TunerPro will work for you, if you can either find, or build an XDF file that's compatible with the file you pulled off your car. It's just a descriptor file that tells TunerPro what location in the binary the specific maps are located at. Have you looked at a well defined binary / XDF combination from here yet? The XDF files have to be made by hand and are specific to each binary, but with some pattern matching skills, you can use an existing well defined binary / XDF combination and adapt this for the file you pull from your car.

You can also get the WinOLS demo from EVC that is very good indeed for this style of reverse engineering. I'd recommend looking into both, for a start.

Sweet, thanks for the awesome info and leads :-)

Sorry mate, you're not my type! Tongue
Ok phew! lol
SixSeven

Listen, don't take any of this too personally.  The folks who put this forum together have a tremendous amount of time, intelligence, and probably a few tears invested into making this what it is.  I'm not going to accuse you of looking for hand-outs, but nothing is more irritating than the perceived notion of someone taking advantage of all your hard work.  And, as has been pointed out, the culture of this forum is definitely geared toward the DIY as opposed to purchasing or being given tuned files.

Here's a great way to get started:

1.)  READ AS MUCH AS YOU CAN!  Seriously, read everything you can find that seems remotely related to your project.  As pointed out, the S4wiki is fantastic.

2.)  Use Tony's latest tool to pull the BIN off your 018P ECU.  Make sure you use the latest version of the software and choose the 400BB layout.  It will think that's the incorrect memory layout, but it isn't.  If you use one of the 800 layouts, you will simply end up with a 1 meg file which contains your original 512 BIN as well as a duplicate directly following it.

3.)  Download a copy of the WinOLS test version (it's free).  Using this and the map pack I posted you will be able to view your BIN in an intelligent manner and get a better understanding of everything contained therein.  The biggest take away from this step will most certainly be realizing just how little you know about your ECU's contents.

Once you've completed these, then you can start asking intelligent questions about what you may wish to modify to better accommodate the modifications you have installed.  And, I can guarantee intelligent questions will undoubtedly receive more favorable responses.

Cheers and good luck.
AboveNBeyond

Listen, don't take any of this too personally.  The folks who put this forum together have a tremendous amount of time, intelligence, and probably a few tears invested into making this what it is.  I'm not going to accuse you of looking for hand-outs, but nothing is more irritating than the perceived notion of someone taking advantage of all your hard work.  And, as has been pointed out, the culture of this forum is definitely geared toward the DIY as opposed to purchasing or being given tuned files.

Here's a great way to get started:

1.)  READ AS MUCH AS YOU CAN!  Seriously, read everything you can find that seems remotely related to your project.  As pointed out, the S4wiki is fantastic.

2.)  Use Tony's latest tool to pull the BIN off your 018P ECU.  Make sure you use the latest version of the software and choose the 400BB layout.  It will think that's the incorrect memory layout, but it isn't.  If you use one of the 800 layouts, you will simply end up with a 1 meg file which contains your original 512 BIN as well as a duplicate directly following it.

3.)  Download a copy of the WinOLS test version (it's free).  Using this and the map pack I posted you will be able to view your BIN in an intelligent manner and get a better understanding of everything contained therein.  The biggest take away from this step will most certainly be realizing just how little you know about your ECU's contents.

Once you've completed these, then you can start asking intelligent questions about what you may wish to modify to better accommodate the modifications you have installed.  And, I can guarantee intelligent questions will undoubtedly receive more favorable responses.

Cheers and good luck.

Thank you!
Snow Trooper

Now that you have basically told half the useful members to suck your dick or effectively told them to fuck off I would wager a guess that you are kinda done here with getting free lunches. Regardless of how good you can blow-hard about yourself you clearly arent smart enough to know how to help yourself out with the first steps in order to obtain something you want in life. 

Where is your stock file?

Pro tip - create a new account, post stock file, make less statements about chips, racing and yourself.  Make more statements about your car, factual ones.

cartoons?
6A 61 72 65 64 40 76 6C 6D 73 70 65 63
AboveNBeyond

Now that you have basically told half the useful members to suck your dick or effectively told them to fuck off I would wager a guess that you are kinda done here with getting free lunches.
So you're an idiot to huh, "free lunch" dude youre like a week short repeating a bad joke, put your helmet on and get back on the lil bus"

Regardless of how good you can blow-hard about yourself you clearly arent smart enough to know how to help yourself out with the first steps in order to obtain something you want in life.
Before attempting to insult my intelligence, why don't YOU read... I know its hard n challenging... 26 letters, all scrambled up in your mind. Cause if you HAD 2 connected brain cells and DID read, you'd KNOW why I asked specifically what I did and why!t

Where is your stock file?
On my laptop ;-)

Pro tip - create a new account, post stock file, make less statements about chips, racing and yourself.  Make more statements about your car, factual ones.
I'm sorry you're a pro at creating new accounts!

My "statements" about chips where foundation for my thoughts n questions.

"Racing & myself" well I was kinda forced to when people like you who don't know me yet start judging me, accusing me, and labeling me!

"Factual ones" Are you suggesting any of my statements about my car ARE NOT FACTUAL? In essence now insulting me by calling me a liar?

Good one you just like everyone else SHOULD be apologizing, but in reality we're all adults and I'm not expecting that... But I was NOT EVER looking for a free lunch, desert, etc...

So tell me this, cause I'm curious... WHAT'S SO SPECIAL ABOUT YOU! I mean who are you, or who do you think you are, that several DAYS later, and after the thread was locked, then unlicked, mod says "enough hazing" so on and so forth... WHO ARE YOU TO DISREGARD WHAT HE SAID, WHAT I'VE EXPLAINED, and yet still for no good reason you wanna jump on and chime in. Hope that made your day ;-)
sweegie

On my laptop ;-)

Post it up - I'm keen to have a look around it...
Snow Trooper

There you go again...

cartoons?
AboveNBeyond

Post it up - I'm keen to have a look around it...

Be honest, you wanna look at it or you don't believe I could get it?
AboveNBeyond

There you go again...

Me! LMAO... you go and post the nonsense you did, totally not needed... you attack me... and "there "I" go again" WOW! I seriously do not get you guys!

Thought ever cross your mind I might some day be able to help you! Trust me... I'm not some clueless fool! lol (Head engineer at K&N Eng 20 years ago, managed a few Super Shops stores, before that, contracted for Honda Motor corp developed new yet unseen technology, to name a couple)

Again... DUMB A$$ you're clueless! lol
Snow Trooper

No on doubts you can get it, we are doubting the effort you will make because thus far you have failed to do much research.  You have also failed to follow normal social standards that people follow on this forum.

cartoons?
Snow Trooper

Dude seriously no one cares or is impressed.  There are far more impressive resumes around this forum.  You are failing to see how abrasive you have and are being as the new guy.  Take your bullshit somewhere else or fall in line and put a little effort in. 

You should stop and think before you post more.

cartoons?
AboveNBeyond

Dude seriously no one cares or is impressed.  There are far more impressive resumes around this forum.  You are failing to see how abrasive you have and are being as the new guy.  Take your bullshit somewhere else or fall in line and put a little effort in. 

You should stop and think before you post more.

DUDE I don't give a shit if there are more impressive resumes lmao... that was 20 plus years ago and I merely said it because I do have a wealth of knowledge, every time one your you attack me I simply try pointing out I'm not just some kid... shit!

Abrasive! Oh ok... sorry, I didn't know as the new guy I have to sit here bent over, spread the cheeks and let you all have your way!

As the "new" guy I could have been told to go do something... AND I WOULD HAVE AND DID! But all the accusations... the bend over and take it... nope, not me! I tried nicely to explain, was attacked more, tried again, new guys attacked me, and it still hasn't stopped!

And resumes, dude... I don't care if someone here has a better one. Congrats to them. I speant my first 15 years in the automotive industry, and 15 since in the Technology field... (most of my years of expierence being in the Unix/Linux field) I am attacked and therefor tried to simply point out I have knowledge, and please stop!

I think I have explained myself plenty enough and honestly feel like attacks since doing so just shows character on the attackers behalf, not mine. But wtfe!
AboveNBeyond

No on doubts you can get it, we are doubting the effort you will make because thus far you have failed to do much research.  You have also failed to follow normal social standards that people follow on this forum.

Look, I was completely misunderstood in the beginning and being attacked for no good reason since. Social standards, read my posts again, all of them, I might not have been as clear as I could have but damit I tried and I have tried to explain... but screw me for trying, I am still getting attacked... and I AM NOT FOLLOWING SOCIAL STANDARDS :-(

Gimme a min, I am at work, laptop is in my trunk in the parking lot... I'll post it up asap.
Snow Trooper

No one has attacked you.  Also your insecurity is showing, stop focusing on all the wrong things here.

cartoons?
sweegie

Be honest, you wanna look at it or you don't believe I could get it?

This forum and it's members are here to help people gain skills in tuning cars. Quite frankly, without the binary from your car, your chances of learning how to tune it are Zero, regardless of our motivation for asking. Posting the file at least shows some work and progress on your part, but if you can't get the file, then ask for help. Politely.

As Mr Snow Trooper has said, nobody has attacked you and our continued involvement in this exchange surely must demonstrate at least some good will (and thick skin....).

May I suggest you think carefully, young padawan, before you write your next reply....
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  

Jump to: