Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: What the hell did I buy? This supposed "MTM" 8D0907551A....  (Read 14193 times)
A6_C5_Allroad

« on: April 19, 2015, 11:03:25 PM »

I bought, from a member of an Audi forum, what he claimed to be an 8D0907551A "Stock" B5 S4 ECU.
I mounted ECU in car, crank engine, NO runny! So, I hook-up to my VCDS and cannot establish communication with the ECU. I opened the ECU and discover a daughterboard with an AMD am29f800BT-90SI Flash chip and a small, square 12 leg chip mounted on the underside of the daughter board.
So, I contact the guy I bought it from and he tells me:, "Oh, yah, I forgot to tell you, it's an MTM Stage 1.  I explain to him that, MTM, or not, it doesn't work in my S4. He refuses refund.
I de-soldered the chip and mounted it to my Minipro TL866CS programmer and I read the data from the AMD am29f800BT. ( FILE ATTACHED ). I cannot read the small eeprom because I don't have the right adapter to read it on my programmer. ( Maybe some kind of encryption chip)

Long & short, I have no way of telling what kind of BIN file this is? Maybe a tuned chip?? It's not the usual AMD am29f800BB-70SE that I am used to seeing in the ME7.1, but who knows?

Can anyway that knows more than I ( That would be a flee, on up to a chimp, as I am dumb when it comes to this ) tell me what kind of program this is?  Maybe an M-box? ( I have Bosch MAF )   

Anyway, Daz, Snowtrooper, Nyet...anyone able to tell me what this guy sold me???
ddillenger

« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2015, 11:51:16 PM »

The data on the psop-44 is only relevant when processed by that little chip under it. That's an encryption board.

Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience!

Email/Google chat:
DDillenger84(at)gmail(dot)com

Email>PM
A6_C5_Allroad

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2015, 01:56:51 AM »

The data on the psop-44 is only relevant when processed by that little chip under it. That's an encryption board.
DD, do you have any idea if that's an 8d0907551A, or is there any way to tell, since I was nevrr able to get it to communicate
with VCDS???

I have no clue as to what I can do.
prj

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2015, 02:09:47 AM »

If it does not communicate over OBD it's boned, MTM or not.

PM's will not be answered, so don't even try.
Log your car properly.
ddillenger

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2015, 12:43:32 PM »

If it does not communicate over OBD it's boned, MTM or not.

Usually soldering a new chip in fixes these. The shitty connection between the chip and riser is usually the issue.

Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience!

Email/Google chat:

Email>PM
A6_C5_Allroad

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2015, 01:37:06 PM »

Usually soldering a new chip in fixes these. The shitty connection between the chip and riser is usually the issue.
I thought about soldering the chip back onto daughterboard and giving it another try. I guess nothing to lose.
Question:  Let's sat that the ECU is fried, but that the MTM apperatus ( chip, encryption eeprom ) are still good.  Could I mount this chip / daughterboard into another ECU, with possibility it will work?? ( i have a spare 4B0907551T ECU. Actually, I have like 10 of them ).
ddillenger

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2015, 01:41:32 PM »

Why do you want an MTM chip? Cover the shipping and I'll send you 10 of them. They're shit. It's a 15 year old stage .5 file (MTM has 5 stages) that was mediocre at best then.

Email/Google chat:

Email>PM
A6_C5_Allroad

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2015, 09:15:59 PM »

Why do you want an MTM chip? Cover the shipping and I'll send you 10 of them. They're shit. It's a 15 year old stage .5 file (MTM has 5 stages) that was mediocre at best then.
DD, I'm just curious by nature and like to tinker and see what I can learn and achieve. Without getting too personal, I have a learning disability that makes these processes very difficult for me. So, like buying the Minipro programmer and seeing what I can learn, is a huge step for me and satisfying in a way.   
It's not so much the want of an MTM tune ( I bought this ECU believing that it was a 100% STOCK 8D0907551A ECU, to which I was planning on tinkering with flashing, etc... ), it's just my curious nature.

------I'm still running that tune that you helped me with 3 years ago.  I've not exactly progressed very far as is obvious by my questions to you.-------

I'll never be the tuner that you and men like SnowTrooper, etc... are, but I try hard.  LOL, there are members here that have been here 1/4 the time that I have and are already decent tuners. I have a hard time changing Hitachi to Bosch MAF in Tunerpro.  Sad

Thank you, DD
***********I accept your offer for the MTM, or whatever chips you want to get rid of and, of course, I will pay the costs you charge and for shipping, etc...***********
ddillenger

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2015, 09:35:29 PM »

Post some pics of your board so I can make sure you get the right socket Smiley

Email/Google chat:

Email>PM
A6_C5_Allroad

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2015, 01:03:29 AM »

DD,  Attached are pics of the 8D0907551A ECU, with the MTM type Daughterboard  ( The Flash Eeprom removed to use in Minipro Programmer/  I also have 3 or 4 of the Yamaichi PSOP 44 scokets ( solderless type for just snap in mount ).

Thank you very much!!
A6_C5_Allroad

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2015, 01:05:29 AM »

I forgot to attach picture of the type of Yamaichi PSOP 44 solderless sockets that I have.
A6_C5_Allroad

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2015, 04:12:33 PM »

DD, how do you know that my MTM chips is a Stage .5 ??  Is there something in the file that I provided that would indicate a stage level, or are you just giving an example of what MTM had/has to offer.
It's odd, because I had always heard that MTM is one of the better Audi tuners. No??
prj

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2015, 04:14:38 PM »

A 15 year old mtm tune is quite crappy...

PM's will not be answered, so don't even try.
Log your car properly.
ddillenger

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2015, 04:30:28 PM »

DD, how do you know that my MTM chips is a Stage .5 ??  Is there something in the file that I provided that would indicate a stage level, or are you just giving an example of what MTM had/has to offer.
It's odd, because I had always heard that MTM is one of the better Audi tuners. No??

Because an MTM stage1 is very basic-lol. Like PRJ said, it's a 15 year old file. That was in the infancy of motronic tuning. They couldn't even FLASH, let alone understand how everything works Smiley

Email/Google chat:

Email>PM
A6_C5_Allroad

« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2015, 08:04:10 PM »

Because an MTM stage1 is very basic-lol. Like PRJ said, it's a 15 year old file. That was in the infancy of motronic tuning. They couldn't even FLASH, let alone understand how everything works Smiley

DD, I think that I am trying to find out how you are able to know the age of the Tune??  Is there an line of code in the BIN file, that you were able to determine its age, or is this an educated guess??

I want to learn how you determine the age, so that I can check another that I have been sitting on for 2 years.

Thank you, DD. I appreciate you taking the time to educate me.!!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: