Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Cluster Recode  (Read 14023 times)
marcellus

« on: March 06, 2012, 11:12:16 AM »

I know a lot of the A4 guys are recoding their clusters when they throw the one from a S4 in.  I cant find any info regarding if or what needs to be recoded when going with a S4 ECM to a a4 cluster/car.  Right now I have a missing data link to ABS code that will not stay gone, my speedo doesnt work, and I think I need to recode for a 6cylinder.   Any body know?

Basically, I did a motor swap 1.8t to a 2.7t and need to get the last few bits buttoned up.  I am still on the stock 5 speed trans.

ta79pr

« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2012, 02:39:24 PM »

Ross tech has a wiki for the recode options for the different platforms and their clusters.
http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

02 TT tdi (BEW)
2005 allroad 2.7tM (BEL)
marcellus

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2012, 04:39:23 PM »

I have all that info, I am just not sure what really pertains to me just yet. 

Engine recode:  http://s4wiki.com/wiki/Engine_recode
Cluster recode:  http://s4wiki.com/wiki/Cluster_recode

What it seems like is that I need to recode my cluster for 6cyl, hitachi MAF

Engine for no ESP....

I know I am missing something because I have been looking this up all day at work.   

ta79pr

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2012, 05:49:04 PM »

I have a hitachi MAF manual transmission allroad, for whatever its worth, my coding is 20264 for the instrument cluster.

02 TT tdi (BEW)
2005 allroad 2.7tM (BEL)
marcellus

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2012, 08:41:38 PM »

Does your car have ESP?  I think I have to code both the cluster for the new motor and the ECM for lack of esp.  The thing is, the M-box was supposed to run with ESp and this is why I think I am getting the ABS code. 
ta79pr

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2012, 09:22:05 PM »

Yes, ESP in my car.
Do you just code out ESP from the abs module?

02 TT tdi (BEW)
2005 allroad 2.7tM (BEL)
marcellus

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2012, 07:53:52 AM »

I dont know.  My ABS shouldnt be coded for ESP since my car didnt come with it.  (2001 a4 1.8t)  I am hoping that all I need is to recode the ecm for no ESP.  I am still trying to figure that out since all the coding for a m-box includes ESP.  If I were using the previous boxes I dont think it wouldnt be a issue from what I have been reading. 

marcellus

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2012, 09:09:02 PM »

I think I figured it out.  I recoded the ECU with the code for the no ESP box, the cluster already had the code for the proper MAF and whatever else, and the cluster aldo needed to have a digit changed to go from 4 to 6 cyl. 

No more code for ABS communication.  Speedo still not working.  I think that has to do with soemthing els.  I have read that the speedo reads direct from the sensor, and then to the ECU.  Actually, I traced it in the wiring diagrams.  I did have to swap the plugs on the VSS since the one that was on my 2.7 harness was difffernt than my 1.8 one.
Twiki

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2012, 12:13:29 PM »

I think I figured it out.  I recoded the ECU with the code for the no ESP box, the cluster already had the code for the proper MAF and whatever else, and the cluster aldo needed to have a digit changed to go from 4 to 6 cyl. 

No more code for ABS communication.  Speedo still not working.  I think that has to do with soemthing els.  I have read that the speedo reads direct from the sensor, and then to the ECU.  Actually, I traced it in the wiring diagrams.  I did have to swap the plugs on the VSS since the one that was on my 2.7 harness was difffernt than my 1.8 one.
Your project completed now?
I'm installing a 2.7T in a 2000 A4 2.8 Quattro and although the motor is in already I still have to sort the ECU (T-box) / cluster bits - have an S4 cluster, so will probably have to do the same with coding out the ESP because the A4 Quattro also didn't have ESP . Also had to swop the connector on the 2.7T harness (from an Allroad) going to the gearbox but I believe that's the Reverse (Back-up) lights switch...?
marcellus

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2012, 10:55:16 PM »

Sorry, for the late reply.  Car is up and running and tuning is a work in Idon think there was much to change on my setup.  I believe I needed to swap the connector for the VSS, and another couple towards the front of the motor...maybe extend a few wires since I moved a lot of things around.  Nothing too major.
cactusgreens4

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2012, 07:29:16 AM »

where can i find said wiring diagrams?
marcellus

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2012, 03:07:17 PM »

You can get the S4 bentley in PDF format along with a few other things from here:

http://socals4.com/repair/ 

Thats What I used for the S4 part.  I ended up buying the Bentley since I couldnt find the A4 in similar format.  Also there is a ECM pinout and a few other things on this site that I also used.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: