Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Very hard start on E85  (Read 11180 times)
masterj

« on: June 28, 2012, 07:19:59 AM »

Hi, guys!
I just started to get this problem. During cold start I have to switch my ignition on and off few times before my car actually starts (as if there weren't enough fuel injected or something) and then a lot of WHITE SMOKE comes out of exhaust for about 1min till coolant temp rises a bit. Any ideas? What should I log and where to start looking for problem?

Maybe one of my injectors is dieing or my fuel pump going crazy?

nyet
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2012, 08:33:11 AM »

have you tried watching STFTs during startup?

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
masterj

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2012, 09:15:26 AM »

have you tried watching STFTs during startup?

my lambda correction kicks in only after a while (ofcourse fuel trims are impossible until that happens). Today coolant reached 60C when lambda finally decided to add some correction and it was around -10% @ 60C. AT 90C correction is around +-2%. Problem is that i have no idea what happens until lambda starts to act. What cloud of white smoke during cold start usually means? Is it too much fuel or maybe mixture is very lean at that moment?

nyet
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2012, 10:25:15 AM »

white smoke is either condensation or oil.

oil in coolant, or oil in exhaust (from motor, or leaking into hot side turbos).

black smoke means rich.

ECUx Plot

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
masterj

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2012, 10:33:17 AM »

white smoke is either condensation or oil.

oil in coolant, or oil in exhaust (from motor, or leaking into hot side turbos).

black smoke means rich.

in this case it isn't condensation for sure... this leaves me with only one option: oil. Let's start with the oil in coolant option. So this means that I can just take a look at my coolant tank and if it isn't normal color (red) then this should indicate coolant contamination. Would this have effect on car start?

Also if it were turbo leak wouldn't this mean that I'd be in cloud of white smoke all the time? Right now it happens only during cold start

prj

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2012, 02:18:03 PM »

If you have oil in coolant / oil in cylinder when you start, your head gasket is gone, possibly other issues as well.

PM's will not be answered, so don't even try.
Log your car properly.
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2012, 02:25:55 PM »

Also if it were turbo leak wouldn't this mean that I'd be in cloud of white smoke all the time?

Yes, that is generally the case. But keep in mind that as components warm up, leaks have a way of sealing up (due to metal expansion).

I'd hate to make guesses at this point; I don't want to lead you to the wrong way and have you miss something important.

ECUx Plot

masterj

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2012, 03:39:13 AM »

Thanks, guys! I have checked the coolant. It doesn't have that "slurp" (aka oil and coolant mix). Only difference is that coolant is getting a little bit brown (instead of being just red), but I think that is normal, no? Also engine was rebuilt last year. Maybe it isn't head gasket or engine after all. Any way to test the turbo in car or should I take it out and just go to the turbo diagnostic service (they have some kind of equipment that they use to test turbos for all possible problems)?

savages4

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2012, 10:32:24 AM »

Leak down and compression test will rule out the motors condition.  The turbo will need visual inspection by dropping the down pipe checking for shaft play and checking for excessive oil in the down pipe and intercooler plumbing.
prj

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2012, 01:14:26 AM »

Thanks, guys! I have checked the coolant. It doesn't have that "slurp" (aka oil and coolant mix). Only difference is that coolant is getting a little bit brown (instead of being just red), but I think that is normal, no?
Depends on how brown, but does not sound normal to me.

PM's will not be answered, so don't even try.
Log your car properly.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: