Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Rewriting old software with no source code.  (Read 6637 times)
RaraK

« on: May 16, 2012, 10:56:06 AM »

So at work(im a developer) we have some old software package upgraded from vb6 to .net 1.1 at some point.  There are no copyrights on the software from my searches.

My company wanted to buy the source at one point recently, and original developer has more or less ignored us, but we believe he is out of business(10 year old software roughly), and we cannot find a current business by same name as him.

I need to keep software pretty much the exact same as it is now, due to laborers using it, and they dont take well to change!  So my version will look and feel identical, however code will not match up to original if we get sued.

What are the legal rights at this point? its more or less abondonware, and no copyright, different code than original by end of development.  The original developer has no legal right essentially at this point?

nyet
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2012, 11:24:29 AM »

You aren't distributing his binary without permission. That is the most common type of copyright violation, so you're clear there.

If you are rewriting all the code from scratch so that the resulting app looks the same, you didn't copy any source code.

That is the second most common type of copyright violation, so you're clear there.

A look and feel lawsuit is unlikely.

To cover your ass, I'd document that you tried to contact the author, but could not.

But I am not a lawyer. You might want to consult with a real one just in case.

This is why proprietary software sucks, btw.

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
RaraK

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2012, 05:29:13 AM »

No doubt, it kinda of sucks, our company wrote the spec and had someone write it, however never thought to include having the source code for it. 

Thanks for the reply Nye, makes me feel better about it.  I may have to have my director talk to a lawyer about this anyways just to cover my ass.
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2012, 10:45:47 AM »

Also, if this software is for internal use, and you aren't planning on distributing it, you're probably in the clear as well.

BTW there are NO outs for abandonware..

The main things that make what you are planning probably ok are 1) that you are writing the code from scratch 2) you don't plan to distribute the work

But yes, speak to a lawyer if in doubt, and MAKE SURE he is experienced in patent/copyright law.

ECUx Plot

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
julex

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2012, 09:07:53 AM »

If I understood what you said right, which is your company hired the original guy to program to their specs, your company is effectively the owner if software anyway, including any source code (which is missing naturally). You can do whatever you want unless the company wants to sue itself...
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2012, 09:19:49 AM »

If I understood what you said right, which is your company hired the original guy to program to their specs, your company is effectively the owner if software anyway, including any source code (which is missing naturally)

Maybe. You'd think that was the case, but it depends if the original guy was contracted to do the source or working for the company as an employee... generally, the former requires that the contract specifies the contractor holds the copyright to resulting code.

In the latter case, case law says an employer owns the copyright to code developed by an employee if it was developed on company time and property.

Again, I am NOT a lawyer. If in doubt, find one Smiley

ECUx Plot

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: