Pages: [1]
Author Topic: car sat for 3 months and battery died...wont start  (Read 6185 times)
majorahole

« on: February 12, 2015, 09:06:46 AM »

trying to help out a friend of a friend.
its an 032LQ ECU, and he insists that it will loose the stock software if the battery goes dead...i know this isnt true, but it wont start.
scanned with VCDS and there are some codes, but nothing that should keep it from starting up. it was super cold out the other night when i was there, and i tried to do a TBA, but couldn't. i now realize this is from the coolant temp being below 5deg C.
could not having a TBA keep it from starting? ive tried to search everywhere, but couldn't find any solid evidence of that happening before.
having him check fuel pressure at the rail to start. he also mentioned there was a mouse in there at some point...so that could be a real headache for him!

thanks for any help/info/ideas/thoughts
vwaudiguy

« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2015, 11:25:31 AM »

Do you see the rpm gauge bump up while cranking? Can also check this in VCDS. No starts are usually...

No fuel (check like /disconnect hose)
Dead crankshaft position sensor (check for rpm reference from sensor using instrument cluster, or scan tool)
Also does it have a tune? Revo tunes on ME7 some of the files revert to stock when you disconnect the battery. Maybe it's a misunderstanding about it being stock.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 11:27:49 AM by vwaudiguy » Logged

"If you have a chinese turbo, that you are worried is going to blow up when you floor it, then LOL."
majorahole

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2015, 02:25:35 PM »

Do you see the rpm gauge bump up while cranking? Can also check this in VCDS. No starts are usually...

No fuel (check like /disconnect hose)
Dead crankshaft position sensor (check for rpm reference from sensor using instrument cluster, or scan tool)
Also does it have a tune? Revo tunes on ME7 some of the files revert to stock when you disconnect the battery. Maybe it's a misunderstanding about it being stock.

no tune, i asked. twice! cuz thats what i was thinking too.
he said he heard the fuel pump prime before i got there when he opened the door, but i didn't while i was there. even with the key, and after letting it sit for 30min and going back to try again.
i didn't think about the crankshaft sensor, and didn't even look at tach whilst turning it over. ill have him do that.

thanks for the advice!! ill report back with more info, or when its figured out. hoping he can check the fuel pressure here soon and let me know
vwaudiguy

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2015, 02:28:41 PM »

Just have him disconnect the feed line to the rail under the hood. Just because the pump makes noise doesn't mean it's building pressure. Also on this chassis the fuel pump does not always prime when you open the door. You can run the output tests with VCDS to easily run the pump, and then check for pressure. Could also be the fuel pump relay...

"If you have a chinese turbo, that you are worried is going to blow up when you floor it, then LOL."
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2015, 02:40:20 PM »

Also if it has been sitting long enough, and had fuel in it (especially if it has high ethanol content), the injectors, filter, checkvalves, etc might all be gummed up to hell.

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
majorahole

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2015, 09:10:27 PM »

Just have him disconnect the feed line to the rail under the hood. Just because the pump makes noise doesn't mean it's building pressure. Also on this chassis the fuel pump does not always prime when you open the door. You can run the output tests with VCDS to easily run the pump, and then check for pressure. Could also be the fuel pump relay...
I couldn't find the fuel pump output test. I found inj and sai, but no fuel pump. I called it quits after 20min in 10deg weather.
vwaudiguy

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2015, 02:44:45 PM »

The fuel pump continuously runs (should) when you start the output tests.

vwaudiguy

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2015, 08:31:15 PM »

Any updates?

majorahole

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2015, 06:40:32 AM »

no not yet,  him and his girlfriend just had a kid, so it could be a while!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: