Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: What AFR are people running on their setups  (Read 13516 times)
carsey

« on: May 04, 2014, 12:05:55 PM »

Hi.

I guess this is a pretty broad question with a hell of a lot of variables.   

Let me run you down on my spec first

1.8T k03s running Audi TT BAM management
82mm 9.25:1 JE forged pistons with IE rods
AGU head with large port inlet
k03s turbo with ported manifold - stock actuator
Forge supersize dump valve - recirc
Custom free flow 2.5" pipework into a large core intercooler
AGU coilpacks
All the N valves removed for dump valve, evap, sai ETC.
3" TIP with large foam filter

At the minute, im requesting fuel as below through lamda, and using BTS as my EGT enrichement protection map.

At the moment, it seems alright on a k04 standard map,  10psi was pulling 160g/s with stock fuel and timing, but some CF's

Now ive tried to raise the load through LDRXN to mid 160s and that gives me about 15psi according to my boost gauge which appears bang on.
Only issue Im having is when in high gears, low RPM, high load situations where the ECU drops into 'soft limp' mode and limits me to 5psi until I release throttle and press it again.

Ive tried copying the KFMLDMN maf lower diagnosis table over from a 032 HN tune and that sorted all gear up until 6th where it would occasionally drop into limp.

Has anyone got any ideas what else could be causing it to drop into soft limp?

Attached is my 'latest' file which im using today.  No CF's it appears, just the occasional soft limp I describe above.   Holding 15psi pretty much throughout the revs.

Any advice would be appreciated.
ddillenger

« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2014, 12:13:56 PM »

Hi.

I guess this is a pretty broad question with a hell of a lot of variables.  

Let me run you down on my spec first

1.8T k03s running Audi TT BAM management
82mm 9.25:1 JE forged pistons with IE rods
AGU head with large port inlet
k03s turbo with ported manifold - stock actuator
Forge supersize dump valve - recirc
Custom free flow 2.5" pipework into a large core intercooler
AGU coilpacks
All the N valves removed for dump valve, evap, sai ETC.
3" TIP with large foam filter

At the minute, im requesting fuel as below through lamda, and using BTS as my EGT enrichement protection map.

At the moment, it seems alright on a k04 standard map,  10psi was pulling 160g/s with stock fuel and timing, but some CF's

Now ive tried to raise the load through LDRXN to mid 160s and that gives me about 15psi according to my boost gauge which appears bang on.
Only issue Im having is when in high gears, low RPM, high load situations where the ECU drops into 'soft limp' mode and limits me to 5psi until I release throttle and press it again.

Ive tried copying the KFMLDMN maf lower diagnosis table over from a 032 HN tune and that sorted all gear up until 6th where it would occasionally drop into limp.

Has anyone got any ideas what else could be causing it to drop into soft limp?

Attached is my 'latest' file which im using today.  No CF's it appears, just the occasional soft limp I describe above.   Holding 15psi pretty much throughout the revs.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Maybe I don't understand what you're trying to accomplish, but you should be richest at peak load when the turbo is spooled (and leaner on spoolup). Why are you JUST getting to an ideal AFR at redline?

Why are you upgrading your MAF on a K03?
Why do you have a K03 on a built engine?
Why have you not rescaled your LAMFA axis? The last column should be sub 100 (I'd say 95) so you're actually using it......

You really need to read more. Time to get back to the basics. Without meth injection (or race gas) that fueling is leaving a lot of timing on the table.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 12:19:24 PM by ddillenger » Logged

Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience!

Email/Google chat:
DDillenger84(at)gmail(dot)com

Email>PM
carsey

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2014, 12:18:58 PM »

Why are you upgrading your MAF on a K03?
Why do you have a K03 on a built engine?
Why have you not rescaled your LAMFA axis? The last column should be sub 100 (I'd say 95) so you're actually using it......

MAF diameter is suitable for the ecu.  im running a S3 housing on a TT map....like standard.
K03s is because the engine required running in, so opted for a standard turbo to run it in, make sure everything was OK, before I went bigger (TSFI)
LAMFA axis is standard except the 89.9974 row.  I used the k03s RPM values to give me a better fuel control on spool (like an original k03 framed turbo map would)

adam-

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2014, 12:19:53 PM »

Didn't even notice the lamfa axis, well spotted!

He's got a K04 064 waiting to go on, he's just running it in on the K03s just now and hence the MAF change.  

I've got fuel coming as early as I can, because if it's lean, it'll break something.

So yeah, I'd have fuelling coming in earlier, and use BTS too - once you've got an EGT sensor.  Lamfa is only preemptive.

The purpose of LAMFA is extra torque when requested by the driver.  It allows the enrichment of the mixture depending on pedal position/req load.  

Quote:
From the factory it is disabled by setting it to lambda 1 everywhere, and having an unuseable requested torque axis of 0-1%. Reqested will always be above 1% so only this load column gets used.  The idea is the factory wanted to run lambda 1 everywhere for emissions and economy, and only enriched when egts' rise.  What this means is that if you try and use LAMFA to tune fuel factory axis you will always be rich.  Change the axis to 0-100% and now you can set the fuelling according to load, which is how it should be done.  For example at 80% req load and above i usually request lambda 0.82, then enrich a little more with KFLBTS.
adam-

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2014, 12:21:06 PM »

Yeah, but it'll interpolate between 89.99 and 100 to get a mean.  Set it to 99.99999999 and it should be reeeet. 
ddillenger

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2014, 12:22:33 PM »

Why have it interpolate at all? I'm sorry, but what you have there is total shit.

Unless you have a 50 trim that hits peak boost at 5000rpm, and are running meth, in which case it's still shit, but not as bad.

I just want you to know I am very pissy today, so don't take anything I say as an attack or insult. I'm just reveling in my inner shithead right now.

Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience!

Email/Google chat:

Email>PM
ddillenger

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2014, 12:25:21 PM »

Yeah, but it'll interpolate between 89.99 and 100 to get a mean.  Set it to 99.99999999 and it should be reeeet. 

Still shit.

Set it to 95 or even 97.5.

Email/Google chat:

Email>PM
carsey

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2014, 12:30:16 PM »

So setting the last row of lamfa to something slightly lower than 100% would be good.   I get that.

However, would it be causing my drop into limp mode issues im seeing where I get 5psi?

At the moment, the car feels pretty damn quick, just can occasionally smell a bit rich yet fuel trims are 0.8% idle and ~1.8% partial.

I know theres a absolute load of changes between the k03s and a k04 file, which is why I want to try get my map to a point where its producing good boost....21psi spike and tailoring down to whatever it will manage without it dropping into limp mode on high load situations.  Thats my issue right now.

I was getting a misfire/boost cut on spoolup with a higher load map, but have since raised KFLDIMX to accomodate that like a normal tune would.

Im new to all this stuff, and only changing what i have read about on here and the wiki.
ddillenger

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2014, 12:34:50 PM »

Here's the thing. Running a K03 on K04 software or vice versa is a bad idea. There are maps that translate requested load into requested boost. (KFPRG, KFURL). You'll need to spend some time getting these right so you are getting the correct boost to hit requested load.

I'm a firm believer (now anyways) of using the software that was designed for the configuration. I think too many people are crossflashing these days.

Are you logging AFR? If not, that's another can of worms entirely. Running software not designed for your engine, along with a different MAF housing, there's no telling how close actual AFR is to requested. The entire calibration will be wrong. What you need to do is put the stock MAF back in, and dial in your fueling that way. Log wideband, and adjust the correction maps so that actual lambda follows requested. Then go about swapping the MAF.

I don't like your LAMFA at all though.

Email/Google chat:

Email>PM
carsey

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2014, 12:44:09 PM »

I havent cross flashed... Im using a 018H ecu with a 018H file which im modding.  Why would I put a smaller 70mm maf diameter in when the maf housing isnt scaled to that ECU?  To me, that rings bells that it would cause issues.

Fuelling is following requested through logs with ME7 logger to within 0.01 through logs
« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 12:46:04 PM by carsey » Logged
catbed

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2014, 05:35:40 AM »

I havent cross flashed... Im using a 018H ecu with a 018H file which im modding.  Why would I put a smaller 70mm maf diameter in when the maf housing isnt scaled to that ECU?  To me, that rings bells that it would cause issues.

Fuelling is following requested through logs with ME7 logger to within 0.01 through logs

Cross flash meaning running a k04 file on a k03.

You change back to the stock MLHFM when you put the stock MAF back in
carsey

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2014, 06:11:58 AM »

I'm still missing why I need to put the smaller maf for the k03s turbo back in?   Surely with a properly scaled maf to the ecu,  which this maf off a s3 is to my TT ecu being both from the same engine,  the readings will be what they are meant to be without being scaled.  Smaller housing would read the same airflow, just at a higher g/s?

catbed

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2014, 06:43:50 AM »

I'm still missing why I need to put the smaller maf for the k03s turbo back in?   Surely with a properly scaled maf to the ecu,  which this maf off a s3 is to my TT ecu being both from the same engine,  the readings will be what they are meant to be without being scaled.  Smaller housing would read the same airflow, just at a higher g/s?

Airflow is measured in g/sec.

I think what ddillinger meant is put the intake back to stock while you get fueling in line and get AFR actual to meet requested.
carsey

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2014, 06:50:47 AM »

I havent got a stock intake.  99% of my engine is custom built to ensure good flow.
userpike

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2014, 09:55:10 AM »

I havent got a stock intake.  99% of my engine is custom built to ensure good flow.

I think dd and others may have thought you were using the ori sensor in a larger housing instead of using a whole MAF assembly already in use from Bosch for the 1.8t motor in the S3/TT225. If you have copied the stock values from the file that had the larger OEM maf you will be just fine and should be able to count on your g/s values being accurate.

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: