Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
Author Topic: Chris tuning thread. now running meth - overboost :(  (Read 58614 times)
carsey

« on: July 17, 2014, 05:59:39 PM »

Hi all,

As some of you may remember, ive been DIY tuning my mk4 golf me7.5 1.8T with k03s and forge actuator, with the rest of the spec pretty much as good as it can be.

Anyhow,  been dialling in the boost with the actuator over last couple days and got to a point where I can get 20psi and hold it pretty much across the revs with the boost.  However, now I am getting a misfire/throttle cut? on peak boost (This is below the 2550mbar limits of the map sensor...  Its about 2300-2400mbar on graphs made with ecuplot.)

Having had a look, im a bit unsure whats causing it....only thing I can think of is fuel, which has the occasional random value richer and leaner, but im not sure 100% thats causing it.  The pump is a uprated drop in tank version.

My plugs are gapped to 0.7mm and they are NGK R BK7RE - a very popular plug over here in UK for tuned 1.8Ts.

Ill upload a copy of my log files if you can spare a minute to cast a eye over them and maybe spot something im missing.

THe file tagged goodlog is a good run with no misfire.  One tagged misfire is a run with the misfire before the car dropped into soft limp mode.  

Many thanks in advance
« Last Edit: August 09, 2014, 03:24:14 AM by carsey » Logged
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2014, 07:38:18 PM »

Your RPM data is super bumpy... maybe a bad pickup? It could be triggering misfire recognition...

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2014, 07:49:32 PM »

Hmm actually my filtering isn't working because you are using an old version of ME7Logger that has timestamps in a stupid format... maybe update to 1.20?

ECUx Plot

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2014, 07:59:16 PM »

Ugh yea your time column is a mess Sad

ECUx Plot

ddillenger

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2014, 10:41:33 PM »

Hmm actually my filtering isn't working because you are using an old version of ME7Logger that has timestamps in a stupid format... maybe update to 1.20?

Filter works, it's a 4th gear log....

And I agree, it's fucked. Things going backwards, etc.

Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience!

Email/Google chat:
DDillenger84(at)gmail(dot)com

Email>PM
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2014, 10:58:38 PM »

Filter works, it's a 4th gear log....

eerrrr sorry. I mean the RPM smoothing function (built in, and somewhat hidden)...

i have a fix for ME7L 1.17 timestamps but it will have to wait until the next release.

ECUx Plot

carsey

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2014, 03:44:25 AM »

4th gear log.     Never knew there was a newer version of me7logger.   Will have to get it downloaded and try that.   Are you able to bring any graphs up from
 those logs?
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2014, 10:03:02 AM »

Yea, but I can't find anything obviously wrong.

so probably coilpacks, plugs or ICM (errr... maybe you dont have those hehe, dunno)

ECUx Plot

carsey

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2014, 10:14:37 AM »

Going to look into those next.   Gapped plugs to 0.6 from 0.7 and going to see if that makes a difference.  Going to log misfires on each cylinder see if I can narrow it down.

Did you see the random lean and rich spikes in one of the log files?   I couldnt work out what they are and what caused them... Also, lambda satrts off pretty high on one of the logs?  Not sure if I included that?
ddillenger

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2014, 10:17:33 AM »

Misfires cause lean readings. I would bet those spikes coincide with your issue. Start logging misfires.

Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience!

Email/Google chat:
DDillenger84(at)gmail(dot)com

Email>PM
carsey

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2014, 03:40:34 PM »

Seemed a LOT better tonight with the smaller gap in plugs.  Nice strong boost.  Only occasionally felt like it dropped off 5500rpm+ in gear but changed gear and spot on again, so will look into that.

Did seem a touch fluttery (if thats the right word to use) sometimes on peak boost, but im not sure whether thats the actuator controlling boost or something.  Wasnt like a surge or wavery like you would get with dead N75 valve.
carsey

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2014, 11:05:03 AM »

Only other thing thats bugging me is why the engine load requested and corrected arent following my specified engine load through LDRXN.

Ive attached my file to see if you can spot anything that would cause it.

Thanks
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2014, 04:16:36 PM »

Only other thing thats bugging me is why the engine load requested and corrected arent following my specified engine load through LDRXN.

Reread the FR (and the tuning wiki for that matter..) there are many, many many different things that go into requested->corrected. There is a reason it is called "corrected"

Also, as an aside, the latest ECUxPlot parses older timestamps (ME7L 1.17) correctly now.

Might want to download it.

ECUx Plot

carsey

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2014, 04:24:15 PM »

Thanks,  will have a look over the FR and see if I can spot anything....personally, I dont think its a bad map for a total beginner to tuning.  Car certainly feels pretty lively through the revs.

Got myself the latest ECU plot and me7Logger on my PC and logging netbook now so bang up to date with that side of things Cheesy
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2014, 04:26:24 PM »

Thanks,  will have a look over the FR and see if I can spot anything....

I guess my point is there is nothing wrong with req != corrected... don't try to "fix" it. There isn't anything to fix, unless you want to dick with KFTARX

ECUx Plot

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
  Print  

Jump to: