Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Possible to flash an S4 mbox file over apb allroad tip ecu?  (Read 30230 times)
ddillenger

« Reply #30 on: December 27, 2012, 07:11:10 AM »

spare ecu's=100 bucks on ebay (4b0907551, 4z7907551, 8d0907551) me7.1. They all interchange.

Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience!

Email/Google chat:
DDillenger84(at)gmail(dot)com

Email>PM
m_haiser

« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2012, 05:49:30 PM »

might be worth it in the long run, but for the prices i see on ebay right now for those part numbers (avg of $175) plus the parts to build a bench flash setup (another 150 im sure) i could just get a jfonz tune for $330 just have to see if i can ship the ecu to them for tune and them ship it back or if its a licensed dealer only kind of thing because there are no nearby dealers for them
ddillenger

« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2012, 06:15:53 PM »

A bench flasher just takes an IDE connector and a couple alligator clips. Maybe 50 cents. As for the ecu, I can link you to several for 100-110 shipped.

If you wanna go j-fonz, go nuts. His name on here is judeisnotobscure.

Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience!

Email/Google chat:

Email>PM
m_haiser

« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2012, 09:23:26 PM »

i was looking at the "how to bench flash your s4 ecu" post. can i use just the power supply, ebay vag-com cable, alligator clips, wires?
im not sure what you mean by ide connector. and does the ECU have to be in boot mode? sorry im pretty new to all this.

update: went to my local radioshack and they want $50 for a 12v power supply..... guess im stuck in the mud.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 08:31:32 PM by m_haiser » Logged
jibberjive

« Reply #34 on: January 01, 2013, 03:08:55 PM »

You don't need a bench flash setup to put it in bootmode.

spare ecu's=100 bucks on ebay (4b0907551, 4z7907551, 8d0907551) me7.1. They all interchange.
I thought the whole thing of this thread was that the tip and manual ECU's don't interchange?
ddillenger

« Reply #35 on: January 01, 2013, 04:32:42 PM »

Sure they do. The hardware is identical. It's the software that's an issue.

Email/Google chat:

Email>PM
m_haiser

« Reply #36 on: January 01, 2013, 08:00:14 PM »

can i still flash using nefmoto in bootmode? sorry im pretty new to the more in depth features and capabilities
ddillenger

« Reply #37 on: January 01, 2013, 08:10:08 PM »

Nefmoto can't be used for bootmode flashing. All it'll do is connect (assuming you successfully grounded pin 24 of the flash chip) if you select the bootmode option, basically verifying that it has indeed been put into bootmode.

Nefmoto uses the vag programming protocols via OBD. Galletto is a bootmode tool that bypasses these, but will leave a DTC for "programming not finished" until the ecu is reflashed using the proper protocol.

Please, please do a bit of reading. All of these questions are answered in stickies. If, after having read, you still have questions, I will be happy to answer them to the best of my abilities.

Email/Google chat:

Email>PM
jibberjive

« Reply #38 on: January 02, 2013, 01:31:31 AM »

Sure they do. The hardware is identical. It's the software that's an issue.
So writing the .bin, the 95040, and doing soft coding completely switches everything from Auto to Manual (and back)?  I am just looking for confirmation, as back in April Julex was skeptical (and I think he has some experience with trying this). I believe that SteveKen was having issues with the soft coding sticking on his RS6 ME71.1 as well (I might be wrong though).

the problem is that the ECUs "don't take" recoding from tip-to-man and back. M-Box will only accept "manual" coding so you cannot switch it to auto, and vice versa.

ddillenger

« Reply #39 on: January 02, 2013, 09:20:59 AM »

Jibberjive:

As far as I can tell, yes. It might be worth noting that of the m-box ecu's I've played with none would accept any deviation from the factory softcoding. NONE. The only way I was able to physically change the soft coding is by flashing a newer a6 bin, then verifying I could change the soft coding, then RE-flashing the m-box bin. At that point the soft coding was 06611 again, but it would accept changes (06712 was my goal, and after flashing a 4b0907551aa bin, then reverting back to the m-box, it took). Attached is a screenshot of an m-box with 06752 soft coding, and everything works properly using it.

Email/Google chat:

Email>PM
ddillenger

« Reply #40 on: January 02, 2013, 12:34:19 PM »

AND!!!

Correct manual transmission softcoding for a NA 4.2 with NA flash. Note: this isn't possible with vcds, and it isn't a euro s6/s8 file. It is the original A6 file, properly softcoded.

I don't see why this wouldn't work on an rs6, but currently I don't have an rs6 to test it on-lol.

« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 12:35:52 PM by ddillenger » Logged

Email/Google chat:

Email>PM
prj

« Reply #41 on: January 02, 2013, 12:38:32 PM »

I don't see why this wouldn't work on an rs6, but currently I don't have an rs6 to test it on-lol.
Because the RS6 ECU only has settings for automatic gearbox.

The fact that you hijack some soft coding numbers in there, does not mean anything.
It does not mean ECU is actually working in manual mode.

PM's will not be answered, so don't even try.
Log your car properly.
ddillenger

« Reply #42 on: January 02, 2013, 12:46:36 PM »

Because the RS6 ECU only has settings for automatic gearbox.

As does the NA 4.2l a6, but it eliminated the "missing message from TCU" DTC, and esp/abs were once again functioning. Granted it isn't using manual specific maps, but I consider this to be a success.

Am I wrong here? You sir seem to know an awful lot about this sort of thing, and I'd appreciate the input.

While I agree that it's not PERFECT, it seems a viable alternative to leaving the tcu connected and dealing with the dtc's as is currently done (by those who don't get a pro to tune).
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 12:50:57 PM by ddillenger » Logged

Email/Google chat:

Email>PM
prj

« Reply #43 on: January 02, 2013, 12:50:36 PM »

As does the NA 4.2l a6, but it eliminated the "missing message from TCU" DTC, and esp/abs were once again functioning. Granted it isn't using manual specific maps, but I consider this to be a success.

Am I wrong here? You sir seem to know an awful lot about this sort of thing, and I'd appreciate the input.

That means that ECU can be used for manual and auto. It has dual coding inside.
This is not the case for the RS6. You can code it to whatever you want, it's not going to work, and forget the stock esp/abs working also.

PM's will not be answered, so don't even try.
Log your car properly.
ddillenger

« Reply #44 on: January 02, 2013, 12:52:25 PM »

I'm not arguing, I don't want it to seem that way.

The NA a6 4.2 was never offered with a manual trans, and simply recoding via vcds doesn't work. You're saying the ecu still contains manual specific maps, despite it never being offered as an option?

Email/Google chat:

Email>PM
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: