Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 4.2 Audi A6 4.2 V8 ECU Swap  (Read 13233 times)
CTotty

« on: July 14, 2014, 09:28:20 PM »

Hey Guys,

This is my first post so hello everyone  Smiley

I have stumbled onto Nefarious because I am trying to get some assistance with an ECU Swap on a 4.2 A6 C5, 2000. I believe that the IMMO3 Immobilizer unit is in place on this vehicle.

I have been able to purchase a second hand ECU from an identical donor car, both part numbers for the ECUs are: 4D0 907 560 H. When I connect the new ECU to the car, the immo light starts flashing and the car stops which I understand to be a mismatch between the PIN numbers on the ECU compared with the Immo Cluster.

The issue I am having is that I havent been able to pull EEPROM data from the ECU to read the SKC or PIN as all of the methods I have tried to at least read this data seem to crash or lock up the PC I am using. Thus far I have tried the following software / Cable combos:

VAG-TACHO 3.01 + Ebay 3.01 VAGTACHO cable - Error message 'USB to K-Line not found' [I have used FDTI drivers 2.06, 2.08 and 2.10 along with Windows XP, 7 and 8.1 and I have bought 2 of these 3.01 cables, no love] The COM port settings are set to COM4 and the drivers are installed ok so I am lost about this one..?

VAG_K+CAN 2.5 + Ebay 3.01 VAGTACHO cable - Not able to open any diagnostic sessions to either the immo or the ECU on any protocol (HS CAN 2.0, LS CAN 2.0, KLine)

VAG_K+CAN 2.5 + Ebay KKL Cable - Able to open a session to 07 Kombi and read the IMMO I have the Login code for this, but I can't read the 'Engine Control Unit' just locks up and then crashes VAG Commander

Me7_95040 + Ebay KKL Cable - Opens the port and then sometimes crashed out with 0x07, 0x01 and other times it starts reading the EEPROM and then crashes at the end without dumping the .bin file.

I have no issues with sorting out the adaptions as I have purchased a copy of VCDS Lite, however I need to be able to read both the old ECU PIN/SKC and the new ECU PIN/SKC to use VCDS to perform the adaption.

I am hoping that someone can assist me with this, both Audi service agents I have had working on my car have indicated that they wont be willing to assist with an ECU swap, one even told me it was impossible due to the SKC details being impossible to obtain, so I am forced to find the answer myself.

Questions I have are:

1.) From my reading, I need the PIN / SKC from the old ECU, new ECU and IMMO, is this correct?

2.) I am using both a Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 laptop, is there any recommended tools other then me7 that will read the PIN / SKC?

3.) Can this be done without putting the ECUs onto a Bench?

4.) I am aware that I cant rely on the ebay cables, however I have tried two different suppliers of VAGTACH 3.01 with the FDTI chips, is there anything special about these cables and not working on Win 7. Windows 8.1 lets you select the specific versions of the FDTI and I have tried them all without success.

Thanks everyone,

CTotty
ddillenger

« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2014, 11:00:15 PM »

You can use me7_95040, better known as argdubs tool to read the eeprom. It usually works with these ecus. I would suggest finding that software (it's linked in the "understanding/retrofitting immobilizer" sticky) and giving it a go. If, after you read that you have questions, I will happily help you Smiley

Or, if you just want it done and just don't care (and have a good internet connection by the vehicle), I will do this for you.

Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience!

Email/Google chat:
DDillenger84(at)gmail(dot)com

Email>PM
CTotty

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2014, 02:51:21 AM »

Hey ddillenger,

Thanks for responding  Smiley

I have got the latest copy of me7_95040 that is listed on your link.

I can get it to run ok, but it seems to stop at the end of the read:

C:\me7_95040_v1.31>me7_95040.exe -p 1 --OBD -b 10400 -r oldecu.bin
Ver: 1.31
Com Port: 1
Baud Rate: 10400
Opening COM1 ... OK
Initiating communication ... OK
ECU ID response: 4D0907560H
                 4.2L V8/5V      G
                 SoftCod: 05752, WSC: 31414
Reading EEPROM .................................................................
.....FAIL. (error=0x01)
Closing COM1

C:\me7_95040_v1.31>

Any Ideas? I have done this with both a Win7 and Win 8.1 machine, same result.

CTotty.
CTotty

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2014, 02:58:31 AM »

And the result if I unplug the old ECU and connect the new one:

C:\me7_95040_v1.31>me7_95040.exe -p 1 --OBD -b 10400 -r newecu.bin
Ver: 1.31
Com Port: 1
Baud Rate: 10400
Opening COM1 ... OK
Initiating communication ... OK
ECU ID response: 4D0907560H
                 4.2L V8/5V      G
                 SoftCod: 05752, WSC: 31414
Reading EEPROM .................................................................
.....FAIL. (error=0x01)
Closing COM1

C:\me7_95040_v1.31>

turboat

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2014, 05:08:26 AM »

Are you clicking away from the cmd window while it is downloading? I get a similar fail if I decide to multitask.

>1.) From my reading, I need the PIN / SKC from the old ECU, new ECU and IMMO, is this correct?

Yeah, from memory you would need both SKCs to adapt the clocks to the new ECU. Personally I would just write the eeprom data from the old ECU into the new ECU (either by dumping the whole eeprom, or copying the data that you need (VIN,SKC,ImmoID,ClusterID).

>2.) I am using both a Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 laptop, is there any recommended tools other then me7 that will read the PIN / SKC?

I found a tool called 'vag eeprom programmer' while digging through dd's posts on vag K+ commander, which has been pretty useful and should let you recover the old SKC from the clocks (it *should* connect to the ECU as well, I have been unsuccessful so far with that).

> 3.) Can this be done without putting the ECUs onto a Bench?

Yes (with caveats). You can read eeproms in ODB mode, which is easy with the ECU in the car. Some cars you may have issues reading in the car, due to other stuff on the kline causing coms errors, sometimes pulling the cluster fuse fixes this. You need to put the ECU in bootmode to write the eeprom, which *is* possible in the car (there are posts showing peoples setups), but you have to ground a pin on one of the chips on the ecu board before you power up the ECU. This may be impractical depending on where the ECU sits in your car, what the access is like, if you have someone to turn the ignition on/put battery on, etc. Personally I always write eeproms on the bench because its easy. As I said in 1) you may not need to write the eeprom, as if you can read both SKCs you should be able to adapt with VCDS.

> 4.) I am aware that I cant rely on the ebay cables, however I have tried two different suppliers of VAGTACH 3.01 with the FDTI chips, is there anything special about these cables and not working on Win 7. Windows 8.1 lets you select the specific versions of the FDTI and I have tried them all without success.

Vagtacho uses special drivers for their cables, afaik no-one has got around this yet. I personally wont touch the knock-off vagtach's beacuse my AV goes nuts when I put the driver CD in the tray. I use one of these for nef/me7 http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230994275228&ssPageName=ADME:L:OU:GB:3160 which is working fine on win7x64. IIRC I downloaded the drivers from the manufacturers website.

nbdiy

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2014, 03:20:13 AM »

Do you use the tool in 32 bit and run as Administrator?

I use the Vag Ecu Tool for this...
It can write the eeprom over obd in car and works without problem (also makes immo off).
You can read your Dump from old Ecu and write in in the new one (so you got two working ecus), or read the Pin out of the dump...

Works great with the V8 ecus... There is no need to do it on bench or do bootmode with this tool...

CTotty

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2014, 06:50:44 AM »

Do you use the tool in 32 bit and run as Administrator?

It can write the eeprom over obd in car and works without problem (also makes immo off).
You can read your Dump from old Ecu and write in in the new one (so you got two working ecus), or read the Pin out of the dump...

Works great with the V8 ecus... There is no need to do it on bench or do bootmode with this tool...

Hey Nbdiy,

Yeah I have run all of the tools in Admin mode doesn't change the result.

I have seen a heap of videos online of people running up VAG TACHO etc and it just working, I have been messing around trying to get the damn thing to work for about 6 months now. I have tried it on different versions of Windows (XP, 7 and 8.1) I have bought 2 of the VAGTACHO 3.01 knock off cables and both have never worked and I have tried 4 different driver versions of FDTI drivers.

The only cable that has worked with anything for me is the original Dumb KKL cable that I got a year ago. That thing just works, no mucking around with drivers and such. I bought a legit copy of VCDS lite to work with and that has been great.

The only other issue I have is that the old ECU which is playing up doesn't seem to like being logged onto, every so often I see the Electronic Stability Control and ABS lights stay up on the dash and when this happens the car turns over but never starts, have to leave it for 10 minutes or so and it comes good. I have had this happen without any provoking in a parking lot a couple of times which further cements my concerns that the ECU is cactus.

I will try out the VAG ECU Tool, is there any special cable or drivers required for this software?

Cheers,

Ctotty.
turboat

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2014, 09:31:23 AM »

Got a link?
CTotty

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2014, 03:02:02 PM »

Got a link?

I found a copy here, scroll down to the 'Download VAG ECU Tool' link under Image number 9.

http://www.obdiiscanner.com/ecu-flasher-tool/vag-ecu-tool.html

I will have a go at the tool after work tonight.

CTotty
nbdiy

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2014, 03:54:14 AM »

If you search for "Vag Ecu tool" you´ll find pictures of it, it comes with a Dongle and a yellow label, I didn´t tested it with other cables, could send you the Software and drivers, if needed, so you can give it a try...

I ordered this package a 2,or 3 years ago: http://www.auto-tool-shop.com/4-in-1-vag-tool-kit-p-365.html (I don´t know on which seller anymore, this was the first that I found on google), but you can buy the tool for itself, without the other ones (the others are working not completly, lets say about 60-70%)...

Didn´t expected in past, that it would be working that well...
I tried on many Ecu´s and got never problems with it (I got one 4D0 907 560 H here which I´ve tested sucessfull, too... The most cars I´m working with are Audi V8´s),  even removing the vmax works...

I didn´t tried your other software, but I got most problems in past with kkl-cable on other tools, when I didn´t use the correct drivers for each software, so sometimes you´ve got to remove the drivers on windows completly, so he don´t takes automatically the preinstalled one´s...
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 03:56:31 AM by nbdiy » Logged
CTotty

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2014, 02:10:43 AM »

If you search for "Vag Ecu tool" you´ll find pictures of it, it comes with a Dongle and a yellow label, I didn´t tested it with other cables, could send you the Software and drivers, if needed, so you can give it a try...

I ordered this package a 2,or 3 years ago: http://www.auto-tool-shop.com/4-in-1-vag-tool-kit-p-365.html (I don´t know on which seller anymore, this was the first that I found on google), but you can buy the tool for itself, without the other ones (the others are working not completly, lets say about 60-70%)...

Didn´t expected in past, that it would be working that well...
I tried on many Ecu´s and got never problems with it (I got one 4D0 907 560 H here which I´ve tested sucessfull, too... The most cars I´m working with are Audi V8´s),  even removing the vmax works...

I didn´t tried your other software, but I got most problems in past with kkl-cable on other tools, when I didn´t use the correct drivers for each software, so sometimes you´ve got to remove the drivers on windows completly, so he don´t takes automatically the preinstalled one´s...

I bit the bullet and got an ECU Tool... Im in Australia and the price although expensive is still 5 times cheaper that going to the audi dealers here...

I will report back if and when I get this sorted Tongue 

CTOTTY
ddillenger

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2014, 02:22:28 AM »

You must bootmode. It never fails. Just use me7_95040 in bootmode, and there will be no issues Smiley

Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience!

Email/Google chat:
DDillenger84(at)gmail(dot)com

Email>PM
CTotty

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2014, 05:42:44 AM »

Hey Guys,

**Update**

I got my ECU Tool stuff today finally.

Took 2 minutes to login and check the IMMO login and then read the EEPROM, fantastic.

Even better was that I was able to do the IMMO Off and actually start the car with the donor car ECU in it.

This will help me determine if the ECU replacement is going to fix my car problems, but I now need to try and adapt the new ECU to the existing IMMO. I have a copy of VCDS lite which I have paid for a license to use and a dumb KKL cable.

What I wanted to know is: Based on the two files below which are the old and new ECU EEPROM's is there a way for me to determine the SKC to login to the new one and update the Login PIN to be the same as the old one. I dont want to copy the firmwares from the old ECU to the new one as I am not sure what is wrong with the old one, however I will need to re-enable the IMMO at some stage.

I have uploaded the two .BIN files as I was able to get them from the ECU Tool as below:

OLD ECU DATA: http://www.freespace.com.au/filehosting/786970

NEW ECU DATA: http://www.freespace.com.au/filehosting/117332

Thanks for all your help so far guys, this has only taken me 10 months to get here... Smiley Smiley Smiley
CTotty

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2014, 05:59:20 AM »

Hey Guys,

So I have loaded the images into a Hex Editor after scouring the forums here and found that both ECU's show FF FF under Byte 33 and 32.

I found the below on another website, which is my situation completely, the 'Login' code from the ECU Tool puts the login at: 65535

"If you have SKC 65535 then you have Immo 2 ECU. Immo2 ECU will have this code in it and people will think that they have Immo 3 ECU. 65535 in default code for all ECU-s for Immo 2 cars and converting to hex is FFFF , which means no SKC."

So all I need to do is this? : http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/Immobilizer_II_ECU_Swapping

Does this all sound right? Lol...

CTotty
Milka

« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2014, 07:02:34 AM »

Where are you located? I might be able to help you out, I'm in Sydney but also travel a fair bit for work
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: