Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Starting tuning: noob's quest to understand ME7  (Read 5852 times)
golfputtputt

« on: May 20, 2015, 12:02:46 PM »

First, let me start with what I am trying to do: basically what the community 1.8t stage 1 project did. Create a stage 1 tune for my 1.8t in order to learn about me7 tuning and the general basics for ecu tuning.

I've been pouring over some documents and threads on this forum and I'm sort of at a point where I have stopped advancing due to lack understanding.
I've been reading the community 1.8t stage 1 project and haven't found anything definitive on where to start yet in terms of what tables to modify and how. http://nefariousmotorsports.com/forum/index.php?topic=6955.0title=

I've also read some of the s4 tuning wiki and the information quickly ramps up to being over my head. It says start with krkte for primary fueling but also says if you're running stock maf and injectors then don't worry about this.

I've got a few files and their corresponding xdf's to cross compare. I've got my 1.8t bin and xdf which I simplified from this xdf:http://nefariousmotorsports.com/forum/index.php?topic=4936.0

The values in my xdf compare pretty closely to the values in the stage 1 AK xdf posted by thelastleroy but obvs with addresses for the HS box.

I've also go the stock bin for the tt225 bam and cooresponding xdf.
Going through and comparing the 225 vs my 180 HS I've found a few things different(havent finished looking yet). The main ones right off the bat are KRKTE and LDRXN.

I'm trying to make it through the document attached "understanding ecu remapping the audi tt 1.8t variants" and my head is swimming. I have translated copies of funktionsrahmen and I will be buying greg banish's - designing and tuning high performance fuel injection systems. Maybe that will shed some light on my confusion but I'm guessing it may just make me more confused. I understand it usually takes people many months to understand these things.

My question is: where do I begin? Does power begin with fueling via LAMFA as the s4 wiki says? there doesn't seem to be too much difference between the 225 and my 180 hs: .0078 in highest load row.

KRKTE difference is .94652 higher in the 180 vs 225. This means effective injector on time is shorter for the 225 than the 180 obvs due to larger injectors (higher rated FPR and fuel pump too?) To reach 225 HP would it behoove me to upgrade to these higher spec hardware or just crank the on time up .93599 as done in the community 1.8t tune? (EDITTED this section and as I'm typing I'm sort of understanding KRKTE's role and how hardware determines its value)

LDRXN between the two seems quite different: 225 peaks at 147.56% at 2100rpm (higher at 5520) vs 180 peaks at 136.01 at 2000rpm (also higher at 5520)

Should I start by putting my new tune's LDRXN somewhere closer to the 225's then modifying something else to colaborate with that new variable. (EDIT: after KRKTE?)

Help, head is swimming. Attachments for reference.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 12:13:16 PM by golfputtputt » Logged
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2015, 12:29:23 PM »

Your goal is to maximize power by balancing increased boost with minimizing timing retard due to detonation.

Everything else revolves around that effort (including fueling).

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
adam-

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2015, 01:05:18 PM »

That sums it up pretty well.  You base KRKTE and TVUB on your installed injectors.

From there, you adjust the values (if not a defined injector) until fuel trims are within 3%. 

Have LAMFA (which is your pedal fueling, near enough) to follow what you want.  Look at other files to see.  You want it to get richer (smaller values) as the load and RPM increase).

Once you have fueling sorted, then you can play with load (and hence, boost).  Ensure you request enough boost with IRL/IOP (if it is already around the 200 region, that'll get you started).

Then increase RXN (you can ramp is up quite quickly due to you having a fast spooling turbo).  Increase it as a ramp - do not just bang in a high number, this is how you throw a rod.

Go log.  If you see timing pull, you will need more fuel/less boost/less timing to reduce the timing load.

That'll get you going. Smiley
golfputtputt

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2015, 08:03:14 PM »

hmm ok. That seems like a very simplified version. what problems will this create with other maps such as TLAFA and LAMFA which were grouped together categorically in my xdf.
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2015, 09:27:32 PM »

what problems will this create with other maps such as TLAFA and LAMFA which were grouped together categorically in my xdf.

It will not "create any problems". YOU have to tune TLAFA and LAMFA correctly depending on the fueling you want to minimize timing pull.

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
adam-

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2015, 12:20:01 PM »

It is really simplified.  But currently, you don't have enough understanding and you have to start from somewhere.

Get fueling where you want it first.  Fueling tables are much of a muchness, you can use other people's as a good base.  The Stage 3 file will have plenty of fuel to ensure you don't melt anything. 
golfputtputt

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2015, 08:25:33 PM »

Ok, I just bought greg banish's book: designing and tuning high performance fuel injection systems. Hopefully this will shed some light on some things.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: