Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10
Author Topic: Who owns ECU tunes, and what do people consider stealing?  (Read 102729 times)
AARDQ

« Reply #90 on: February 07, 2013, 10:41:38 AM »

Because engine blocks and ecu code are not treated the same in a legal setting.

Actually, engine blocks (which doesn't capture the process I described, but OK) and ecu software are pretty analogous legally because there is no EULA granting only license to use the ECU software.  If you want to learn from a source that isn't quite so obviously trying to take your money:  http://www.chillingeffects.org/reverse/faq.cgi
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #91 on: February 07, 2013, 10:42:36 AM »

I think your definition of reverse engineering is not fitting with the legal definition...

The principal is the same, which is why the DMCA is so offensive.

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
boomerro

« Reply #92 on: February 07, 2013, 10:48:44 AM »

Actually, engine blocks (which doesn't capture the process I described, but OK) and ecu software are pretty analogous legally because there is no EULA granting only license to use the ECU software.  If you want to learn from a source that isn't quite so obviously trying to take your money:  http://www.chillingeffects.org/reverse/faq.cgi

Now I have a great way to waste an afternoon reading.  This is great stuff man, thanks! 

The goal of this site is to openly discuss ME7 tuning and promote good practices.
Rick

« Reply #93 on: February 07, 2013, 11:31:30 AM »

Stepping aside from the ethics, modern checksums definitely are developed so as to prevent altering the tune!
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #94 on: February 07, 2013, 11:37:30 AM »

In this case, the private key must be stored inside of the ECU for the ECU to validate the hash. The ECU fundamentally isn't "trusted" because it is in the hands of an "untrusted" 3rd party.

Actually, I should amend this; the private key is only needed on the ECU if it needs to authenticate itself against an outside source.

To validate a signed image, it only needs the signer's public key.

ECUx Plot

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #95 on: February 07, 2013, 10:33:52 PM »

Some light reading on the state of software patents (in the US)

http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?story=20130207163336819

ECUx Plot

Snow Trooper

« Reply #96 on: February 07, 2013, 11:29:59 PM »

Meow, are you really so bored between audirevolution and AZ that you gotta troll and spew dumb shit here?

You have been registered here for a while, haven't seen any contributions here other than you now calling everyone and everything into question ethically and legally?  How many files have you downloaded?  How many have you uploaded?

You confuse the fuck out of me honestly, one minute swinging from kurts nuts, next bashing him, next minute going for a ride on tonys balls, then shit talking him all over AR.

You need to figure out you.  Stay away from nef if you want to play your little two faced games that I am certain this is just another of.  BTW nice signature, you are so transparent and really not that smart.  Stop the games or just keep alienating yourself everywhere, your choice.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 11:37:44 PM by Snow Trooper » Logged

cartoons?
6A 61 72 65 64 40 76 6C 6D 73 70 65 63
ddillenger

« Reply #97 on: February 08, 2013, 08:09:39 AM »

OOOOOHHHHHHHHHH

Now I understand.

Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience!

Email/Google chat:
DDillenger84(at)gmail(dot)com

Email>PM
AARDQ

« Reply #98 on: February 08, 2013, 08:43:14 AM »

Wow, that explains a lot.
MadCow

« Reply #99 on: February 08, 2013, 11:46:29 AM »

Meow, are you really so bored between audirevolution and AZ that you gotta troll and spew dumb shit here?

You have been registered here for a while, haven't seen any contributions here other than you now calling everyone and everything into question ethically and legally?  How many files have you downloaded?  How many have you uploaded?

You confuse the fuck out of me honestly, one minute swinging from kurts nuts, next bashing him, next minute going for a ride on tonys balls, then shit talking him all over AR.

You need to figure out you.  Stay away from nef if you want to play your little two faced games that I am certain this is just another of.  BTW nice signature, you are so transparent and really not that smart.  Stop the games or just keep alienating yourself everywhere, your choice.

Wow thank you for introducing me to the goldmine that is audirevoltion, I've never seen a forum filled with such angry elitists. Why are they all so angry?
Three77

« Reply #100 on: February 08, 2013, 03:52:32 PM »

This is pretty much what I figured, but wanted to give the benefit of doubt.

jibberjive

« Reply #101 on: February 08, 2013, 04:10:56 PM »

Wow thank you for introducing me to the goldmine that is audirevoltion, I've never seen a forum filled with such angry elitists. Why are they all so angry?
I double dog dare you to poke around the B5 section for a couple of mins lol. That place is a joke.
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #102 on: February 08, 2013, 05:44:38 PM »

Starring sakimano, king of the clueless dipshits.

ECUx Plot

jibberjive

« Reply #103 on: February 08, 2013, 09:49:35 PM »

Starring sakimano, king of the clueless dipshits.
I see that you took a look lol.
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #104 on: February 08, 2013, 11:21:35 PM »

LOL yea.

How can a guy that knows so little about cars jabber on like that?

ECUx Plot

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10
  Print  

Jump to: