Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Bricked ECU?  (Read 8102 times)
vwtech552

« on: July 18, 2013, 07:05:03 PM »

Ok so I was flashing my 2000 S4 Abox with a mild stage 2 Mbox tune with Bosch Maf and O2 and EGT delete it when through the full flash said it was completed sucessful. Now will not start and can not connect with nefmoto or VCDS? I tried disconnecting the battery no luck.
Any suggestions help....
ddillenger

« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2013, 07:10:48 PM »

Is the engine light on when the key is on?

If it isn't, you bricked it and will need bootmode to recover.

Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience!

Email/Google chat:
DDillenger84(at)gmail(dot)com

Email>PM
vwtech552

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2013, 07:24:50 PM »

What is the best way to enter boot mode with the ecu in the car?
ddillenger

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2013, 07:42:47 PM »

There's a sticky on this very subject.

In fact it's directly above your post in this section, and called "ECU bricked, way to flash while still in car"

Also, I know this is scary, and you're frantic and excited right now, but one post is all it takes. That, and searching for answers before posting.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 07:49:48 PM by ddillenger » Logged

Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience!

Email/Google chat:

Email>PM
NOTORIOUS VR
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2013, 06:44:04 AM »

I've also had success recovering the ECU by disconnecting the battery leads and touching them together for a while to discharge the electrical system for a few minutes.  When you reconnect you should be able to re-flash the ECU.

SCHNELL ENGINEERING BLOG ·  STANDALONE ECUS · TUNING · DYNO · WIRING · PARTS · VEMS
Google Talk: NOTORIOUS.VR
n00bs start here: http://s4wiki.com/wiki/Tuning
ddillenger

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2013, 06:54:34 AM »

I've also had success recovering the ECU by disconnecting the battery leads and touching them together for a while to discharge the electrical system for a few minutes.  When you reconnect you should be able to re-flash the ECU.

I've only had that work on a checksum error. If the flash was incomplete, it was bootmode or bust.

Email/Google chat:

Email>PM
vwtech552

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2013, 09:38:01 AM »

Can anyone tell me which pin and method is the proper to use to enter bootmode, I have seen several pictures and posts all of which are using different pins and methods. Some are using a 1k resistor, some are a 5k resistor and some do not use a resistor at all. I just want to make sure I get this right and not smoke my ECU.
ddillenger

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2013, 10:00:52 AM »

Using a resistor is more forgiving of shaky hands, but either way will work. Use pin 24 of the flash chip.

Email/Google chat:

Email>PM
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: