Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Possible to flash an S4 mbox file over apb allroad tip ecu?  (Read 30231 times)
csosnowski

« on: March 31, 2012, 11:37:13 AM »

Like the title says I would like to know if anyone has experience with flashing an mbox S4 ecu file over a standard APB allroad 4Z7907551M ecu.

Im thinking it can be done and just change the manual to tip coding in vagcom? I currently have a stg2 file on the car now but its a bit aggressive for the owner (mother in law Smiley ).

any information is greatly appreciated.

EDIT: I found some information here: http://nefariousmotorsports.com/forum/index.php?topic=689.0

I am almost convinced that it will work with the change in the soft coding, but i would hate to be wrong and have something go wrong.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 11:42:08 AM by csosnowski » Logged
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2012, 01:37:44 PM »

As long as it is APB and not BEL (ME7.1.1), it should work.

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
phila_dot

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2012, 03:01:39 PM »

What is the actual car you want to use it on?

M box on a TIP allroad?

csosnowski

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2012, 03:52:22 PM »

yes i would like to use an m-box file on a tip allroad.

it is a 2001 which makes it an APB, it already has a L box file on it but its a stg2+ and its too aggressive. there arent a plethora of stg1 or stock tip tunes with sai, egt, o2 deletes so im trying to figure out of i can plop an m-box file on there which has those changes already made.

I could take the stock file and make the changes, but i dont have the plugin from mtx yet and im a broke-ass collge student with 2 b5's in my house and my mom-in-law's allroad lol.

it should work if i change the coding correct?
phila_dot

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2012, 05:56:18 PM »

I wouldn't run M box software on a TIP. You might be able to get it to "work", but there are alot of differences that will make it sub-optimal.

What file are you trying to run?
julex

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2012, 08:42:51 PM »

AFAIK the binaries are different between "same vintage" manual/tip ECUs. For one, neither manual will let you re-code to tip or vice-versa. In addition, there is a proven fact that S4 tip requires L-box (I think it is L anyway) to run properly and manual requires M-box to run properly. I think you're SOL but please do try. Worst that could happen is that you will have to flash allroad stuff back onto the ECU or go with L-box from S4.
csosnowski

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2012, 08:20:38 AM »

right now the car (2001 allroad apb) is running the stg2+ L box file that is running around here. Its way too aggressive for the driver.

Ultimately i would like to run a generic stock or stg1 s4 m box file on it since the files are abundantly available with checksums already calculated and deletes like sai, rear o2 and egt.

Ideally i would love to be able to calculate the checksums myself, but i am a broke college student and at this point i cannot afford the mtx plugin.

I have the original allroad file i could modify, but i dont have a way to calculate the checksums.

I may flash the m box on it and see if it can be recoded and drive properly.

i believe i saw something about the tcu being on the can bus on the s4wiki? if i had the original values for the recoding part of the tip to 6-speed conversion I think I would be golden.

heres the page im talking about: http://s4wiki.com/wiki/Tip_To_6spd_Conversion

The information:

Reprogramming
1. Ignition on but no start
2. Cluster Adaption, channel 60, set to 1025 (removes Transmission from CAN Bus)  <------- What is the original value?
 Ignition Off

3. ABS Use Tip login code : 07497, or 07397, 07597
ReCode to 6spd : 06395  <------- What is the original value?
Ignition Off

4. ECU If recoding a Tip ECU
Login with 11463
Recode to 6spd : 06711 <------- This should be 06755 for TIP Allroad. info here: Ross-Tech 2.7T Engine Coding
Ignition off

5. Ignition back on Clear codes in Cluster, ABS, ECU

6. ECU Throttle Body Adaption Set Block channel 60

The rosstech wiki seems to be missing the coding for s4 on the engine portion, but since its just 1 i guess its simple enough. Would love to know what 2, 3 and 4 are.

Im genuinely intrigued because if you can run a (stock) tip ecu file with a 6-speed gearbox, why not a 6-speed ecu (stock/stg1-2) file with a tip and recode?

Most of the reasoning here is that there isnt a wide availability of tuned files for the tip's, maybe this could be an option?

EDIT: I noticed after I posted that phila_dot has done some fine work and created some tip files for folks. I am still interested to see if this is a feasible option.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 03:48:23 PM by csosnowski » Logged
robin

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2012, 03:30:38 AM »

The one time I tried an M box file in an L box tip car the trans was stuck in 3rd gear / limp.
julex

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2012, 06:37:32 AM »

the problem is that the ECUs "don't take" recoding from tip-to-man and back. M-Box will only accept "manual" coding so you cannot switch it to auto, and vice versa. What you could do to see if it would work after all, is to flash L-box, ensure the ECU is coded for Auto and recode to auto if not, then flash M-box and NEVER RECODE THE ECU AGAIN as it will reset to manual. The EEPROM area which holds coding is not a part of normal programming flash so whatever is in there, will persist between different versions of programming.

This is your only remote chance to have auto programming while running m-box. Will m-box honor it? Maybe, who knows.
csosnowski

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2012, 10:41:18 AM »

maybe i was unclear, the ecu is the original tiptronic box from the allroad - 4Z7907551M. it is now running the L-box 2+ tune, so "it" knows its a tip.

if i put the m-box file with the required deletes on it, it 'should' keep the tip coding?
julex

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2012, 11:00:37 AM »

crap shoot. Maybe, maybe not. It all depends if M-box has necessary code activated in it or not. Chances are that all it needs is proper adaptation set as the binary code is almost identical between boxes sans stuff moved around when they compiled it into assembly. M-box itself doesn't allow for switching adaptation to tip, that's the way they programmed them.

But if inherit an ECU with tip adaptation on it or you switch adaptation to tip with tip programming and then flash m-box, a miracle might happen.
phila_dot

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2012, 11:45:47 AM »

Just port the M box tune over to L box. Simple. I don't get what you're trying to do here.
csosnowski

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2012, 12:46:19 PM »

I dont have stock or stg1 L box tune for this car with the required sai, egt and rear o2 delete. I can do the deletes, but I cant calculate checksums.

I have m-box files that have the deletes done already so i was trying to bypass having to have someone checksum the files or whatever. I will buy the plugin, I am broke at the moment and my wife would scream if i told her i spent money on a "tuning" item lol.

ill just make the mods to the file I have that came from the car originally and upload it to get checksummed.

Thanks for all the help guys, didnt mean to cause anyone problems.
phila_dot

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2012, 12:51:22 PM »

Upload whatever you need to the checksum requests and I will fix them for you tonight. It's just not worth the potential problems trying to run the M box software on a Tip. There are alot of differences that will affect performance.
csosnowski

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2012, 01:56:00 PM »

thanks, i will upload the files. I appreciate it.
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: