Pages: [1]
Author Topic: nefmoto blue screen, Boot mode...  (Read 8214 times)
Normohl

« on: January 20, 2013, 11:33:19 AM »

I loaded up nefmoto to flash my old tune back on my ecu and by a stroke up luck I hit full write it gave me the warning message and right when I clicked continue It shut my computer down, total black screen I had to restart the computer, Now the car wont start. I have read of this happening and I have read to either go into boot mode or touch the battery cables together, I tried the battery cables with no luck. Now I am guessing I need to know how to get into boot mode. Can this be done with the ecu in the car or does it need to be out? Can I still use my vagcom in dumb mode or will I need a serial galleto cable. I have to go to class on tuesday and this is my DD.

I have flashed many tunes with no problem I did not do anything out of the ordinary I don't know why nefmoto would cause a blue screen shut down like that.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
k0mpresd

« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2013, 11:51:51 AM »

literally one line up above this post is the EXACT answer to your question. stickies are sticky for a reason.
Normohl

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2013, 12:07:44 PM »

Yes sorry I have been reading/ordering a galletto at the same time, panic always sets in when I cant drive, sorry.

I guess I was looking for more of a reason why it would fail like this.

http://www.nefariousmotorsports.com/wiki/index.php/ECU_Boot_Mode
http://www.nefariousmotorsports.com/wiki/index.php/Galletto_1260_Flashing_Cable

So this is correct? the vag doesn't work because its a more advanced protocol built into the ecus programming which is now essentially corrupt.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 12:13:07 PM by Normohl » Logged
ddillenger

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2013, 12:58:03 PM »

You're going to need to use galletto to recover the ecu in boot mode, then reflash with nefmoto to clear the programming not finished DTC that galletto sets (from using the non-vag protocol).

You can use your standard cable with galletto if you can hex edit the executable, just read the s4 tuning wiki and check the first note @ the bottom for an explanation.

Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience!

Email/Google chat:
DDillenger84(at)gmail(dot)com

Email>PM
Normohl

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2013, 02:38:04 PM »

Okay got galletto program hex edited to my serial number, The ecu seems to go into boot mode, I click the ecu data button and it gives a set of bad directions about removing fuse 11 and stuff and it seems to be telling me to bridge pin 24 again or something I cant really tell what the directions are telling me to do. Can these be more easily explained?

I looked at fuse 11 and its the cruise control fuse?

I am using this as the serial number in the hex edit RT000001 its not the ID number is it 67369508, Just making sure they are both 8 digits. 

« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 03:17:52 PM by Normohl » Logged
ddillenger

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2013, 03:46:11 PM »

lol
Just click ok without removing any fuses. If it doesn't work then, you're not in bootmode. What I do is use galletto, hit download, when it gives that PIN 24 A MASA or whatever, that's when I put the ecu in bootmode. Once it's in bootmode I hit OK.

Make sure under DRIVER you have me7.1 BOOTMODE selected.

Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience!

Email/Google chat:

Email>PM
Normohl

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2013, 05:20:06 PM »

okay I got it work like this

connected battery with key in and on
fired up galletto and vagcom clicked the ecu data button, bridged the gap with a paperclip for 10sec, it came up no ecu defenitions or something then I clicked the next button and read the flash it output this 1mb file and when opened in galletto is gives this info

FILE: nate ecu brick
Bytes: FFFFF
Checksum: F4DE
Marca: Bosch
Num. HW: 0261207143
Num. SW: 1037354837

It took about 2 mins 30 seconds to read so I am guessing boot mode worked or it would not have read, feeling confident at this point I opened the file I had on it before (not stock) and tried to download file, it instructed me to connect pin 24 again I do it while the power is still connected and it said no boot mode detected. So guessing I messed up on the last step. Can I just open galletto and open the tune and flash it or do I have to go through the steps of opening ecu then reading then flashing with bootmode init between every step? or can I just skip to writing?
k0mpresd

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2013, 05:25:01 PM »

you go straight to writing. stop making this more complicated than it is.
ddillenger

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2013, 05:28:12 PM »

Why read a corrupted flash? Once you were in bootmode you should have just put a good file on it, that way you don't have to worry about getting it BACK into bootmode.

Email/Google chat:

Email>PM
Normohl

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2013, 07:45:12 PM »

Sorry I just figured I would follow the wiki it says to read it. Now I cant get it to go into boot mode. I don't know whether or not I am holding the jumper on the pads long enough wish I would have just written to it when I did get it to work when I read the flash, damn Ill have to try again tomorrow its too cold out.

thanks for the help!
ddillenger

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2013, 07:52:17 PM »

Build a bench flashing rig. Bootmode is a big enough PITA for newbies (no offence intended) without adding a 2nd person cycling the key into the equation. All you need is an IDE connector (all home PC's have them, I'm sure you have an old PC, or go to radioshack) and a couple alligator clips or small solderless female spade connectors. It might cost you 2 dollars to build, and it's a lot easier to use.

Email/Google chat:

Email>PM
Normohl

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2013, 08:59:53 PM »

I have old ide cables power supplies and alligator clips. Just wanted to try it in car to see if I can get it to work,

I was doing this,

unplug battery
have galletto hooked up and running
plug in battery
load ecu file
click download file
when prompted, place a paperclip jumper on the 2 pads for 3-10 seconds?
release then click through the prompt, hoping for a write...

just wondering if this was a good method I have read many different ways and times.
Ill make a bench flasher tomorrow.
ddillenger

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2013, 10:36:29 PM »

I uploaded a better version of galletto in this section. In short, leave the key OFF. Jump the boot pin to ground (pin 24 of the eprom-it's on the side facing away from the processor, 2nd pin from the top) and while it's grounded turn the key ON. Wait 5 seconds. After that, disconnect the jumper and you're in bootmode.

Email/Google chat:

Email>PM
Normohl

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2013, 08:50:36 AM »

okay cycling the key worked and I wrote the stock file then opened nefmoto and flashed back over the tune i wanted. thanks soo much to both of you many applauds for helping a noob.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 09:34:19 AM by Normohl » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: