Pages: [1]
Author Topic: HELP Needed - ME7.1 does not connect after successful flash  (Read 351 times)
chrisdrs

Hi all, my morning has gone from good to $hit really quick. I've been tuning my C5 Allroad 2.7t M/T for over a week now with plenty of successful flashes. This morning i did my typical procedure, edit the bin file, run checksums, save the corrected file, launch NefMoto Flasher, and flash. All lights off and voltage above 12 as always. Flash completed successfully with 19 out of 19 sectors written. I then hooked up VCDS to clear adaptations and it wouldn't connect. That was strange, so i try starting the car and nothing. It just spins the motor but no start. I've checked fuses, disconnected battery and connected the positive/negative leads to remove any residual current but no avail. Neither VCDS or NefMoto Flasher will connect now. I can hear a click from the cluster when it tried to connect but that's about it. Question is, is there a limit in how many times you can flash the ME7.1 Ecu? Is this considered bricked? I've been reading through the forum before posting to find any similar thread but from what I've seen, people are usually able to connect to the ECU and flash a previous file to solve their issue. Is there a method to force a connection? Any input is much appreciated as I have no clue what to do next.
IamwhoIam

« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2024, 09:43:46 AM »

There is no flash limit on ME7.1. All you need to do next is to pull the ECU, open it, put it in boot mode, read the file and compare to the last one flashed, check if there's any significant differences. Then flash either stock or the previous tune in boot mode and you're good to go.

I have no logs because I have a boost gauge (makes things easier)
chrisdrs

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2024, 11:23:13 AM »

There is no flash limit on ME7.1. All you need to do next is to pull the ECU, open it, put it in boot mode, read the file and compare to the last one flashed, check if there's any significant differences. Then flash either stock or the previous tune in boot mode and you're good to go.

So I've tried getting it in boot mode. Soldered pin 24 on the chip and grounded it while powering the car up (ignition on prior to connecting the positive battery terminal) but i cannot get it to connect. I've tried both regular and boot mode in Nefmoto flasher. Am i missing a step here? I've read on another post to hold the ground for 3 seconds. Do i need to hold it more? I'm afraid of causing further damage.
felix297

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2024, 02:19:36 PM »

I recommend doing it on the bench instead of in the car.
From my experience, I either ground pin 24 before connecting power or shortly after, it depends on the ecu. Also, nothing needs to be soldered if you have some fine multimeter probes or similar.
Please note that bootmode flashing is not supported in Nefmoto AFAIK. You need MPPS/galletto for that.
chrisdrs

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2024, 03:35:34 PM »

I recommend doing it on the bench instead of in the car.
From my experience, I either ground pin 24 before connecting power or shortly after, it depends on the ecu. Also, nothing needs to be soldered if you have some fine multimeter probes or similar.
Please note that bootmode flashing is not supported in Nefmoto AFAIK. You need MPPS/galletto for that.

Thank you for your input. I just ordered a MPPS V18 cable via amazon. Should have it tomorrow. I checked the pcb picture and it has all the necessary components. On another note, I'm going to check again that I've wired the correct pin. I thought you're supposed to ground the third pin from the bottom right of the chip but after further research, it appears it should've been the 2nd pin. So i may be looking into buying another ecu at the end of this. What I don't understand is why this happened in the first place. I followed the same procedure I've been following when flashing all the times prior. Now this concerns me as it may happen again.
_nameless

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2024, 04:57:27 PM »

Thank you for your input. I just ordered a MPPS V18 cable via amazon. Should have it tomorrow. I checked the pcb picture and it has all the necessary components. On another note, I'm going to check again that I've wired the correct pin. I thought you're supposed to ground the third pin from the bottom right of the chip but after further research, it appears it should've been the 2nd pin. So i may be looking into buying another ecu at the end of this. What I don't understand is why this happened in the first place. I followed the same procedure I've been following when flashing all the times prior. Now this concerns me as it may happen again.
You can use the ft232rl cable to boot mode flash it, galletto 1260 will work fine, you need to use mprog and change the serial in the cable and it works fine

If you are in the market for a tune and would like the ease of downloading and flashing a dyno tested tune for a fair price check out https://instatune.sellfy.store/
prj

« Reply #6 on: Yesterday at 02:04:41 AM »

Why it happened? Chances are you messed up an axis or something else somewhere in the calibration and it's in a reset loop.

PM's will not be answered, so don't even try.
Log your car properly.
chrisdrs

« Reply #7 on: Yesterday at 06:04:13 AM »

You can use the ft232rl cable to boot mode flash it, galletto 1260 will work fine, you need to use mprog and change the serial in the cable and it works fine

Could you elaborate a bit on changing the serial? I will look through the forum in case there is another post explaining this. The cable I have is the blue VAG KKL cable.
chrisdrs

« Reply #8 on: Yesterday at 06:06:40 AM »

Why it happened? Chances are you messed up an axis or something else somewhere in the calibration and it's in a reset loop.

I didn't change any of the axis. The only edits where reducing the boost, and smoothing out the timing. Nothing different from the previous times. Ran checksum afterwards as always.
chrisdrs

« Reply #9 on: Today at 05:38:05 PM »

Hi again. Over the past couple of days I've done the following:
 - Removed ECU from car, soldered a wire to pin 24 for boot mode. I realized i had soldered the wrong wire before so hopefully i didn't damage anything.
 - Bought MPPS v18 clone cable from amazon that also came with an obd harness to hook up directly to ECU. (Checked all wires and they match the necessary pins)
 - Bought an adjustable power supply that allows me to provide the right amount of voltage and amperage.
 - Downloaded and modified Galleto to match my KKL cable serial.

As a reminder, my ECU is ME7.1 part#4Z7907551L
The car is a 2002 Audi Allroad 2.7t 6speed manual. Note, the car was flashed/chipped by previous owner but I have no info on what was done as I got the car from a used car dealer.

Now back to the problem. I have attempted repeatedly to get this damn ecu into boot mode but it has failed every time.
Boot mode process as follows:
 - Hook up OBD harness to ECU.
 - Connect OBD port to either MPPS and use MPPS V18 program or Vag KKL for galleto 1260.
 - Connect to power supply. (Luckily the harness has a switch for power thus allowing me to use that instead of disconnecting/reconnecting to PSU.
 - Ground pin 24 before switching power on. Voltage set at 13.5. Max 1 AMP.
 - Turn power on and disconnect pin 24 ground after 5 seconds (as per Galleto)

I have repeated that process while holding ground for 3,5,8,10 seconds but no difference.
MPPS Shows ECU not found, even though it recognizes the voltage.
Galleto states ECU Boot Mode Inactive.

I don't know what else to do here, other than to start looking for a new ECU.
If I've missed a step please do let me know.
The processes I followed were based on information I found in the forum, rather than asking how to do it, I opted to do research first.
I have looked through the forum in case there's anyone that had the same problem, but everything I found was for ME7.1.1 which is different.

Any help is much appreciated. I will make a separate post with links of the equipment I bought in case someone is looking for a similar setup.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: