Pages: [1]
Author Topic: ECU lockout via aftermarket tune - can I bootpin + OBD flash it?  (Read 11176 times)
tobz

Trying to pull my current ECU ROM and delete some crap out.   The NefMoto flasher reports service unavailable, possible aftermarket tune lockout, etc, etc.  Seems reasonable since I am in fact chipped.

My question is:  can I get it into bootmode and read/write over OBD, or am I stuck with picking up an EEPROM programmer?

Also, is there a known mechanism for locking out reading/writing of the ROM in the ME7.x?  I'd like to disable it once I do pull my ROM so I can do straight-up OBD flashes in the future, and not have to bother with pulling my ECU. Tongue
Jason

Breaks everything!

« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2011, 10:31:52 AM »

Trying to pull my current ECU ROM and delete some crap out.   The NefMoto flasher reports service unavailable, possible aftermarket tune lockout, etc, etc.  Seems reasonable since I am in fact chipped.

My question is:  can I get it into bootmode and read/write over OBD, or am I stuck with picking up an EEPROM programmer?

Also, is there a known mechanism for locking out reading/writing of the ROM in the ME7.x?  I'd like to disable it once I do pull my ROM so I can do straight-up OBD flashes in the future, and not have to bother with pulling my ECU. Tongue

Buy a Galletto 1260 off ebay and throw the ECU into boot mode by grounding the boot pin.  There are a few posts here that explain the boot pin.  Boot mode is the only way to successfully read an ECU that's had the read mechanisms removed/disabled.  Worked great for me, and you can even flash it back to the ECU using the NefMoto Flasher.
tobz

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2011, 11:29:33 AM »

I already have a KKL cable - I'd rather avoid having to purchase yet another cable.  I guess I should have worded it as: can I use my KKL cable and NefMoto flash to read my ECU if I bring my ECU up in boot mode? Tongue
Jason

Breaks everything!

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2011, 12:02:29 PM »

Nope...  Boot mode and flashing/reading with the NefMoto Flasher are two separate things.

edit to clarify:  You should be able to over-write your current flash with NefMoto, but you are unable to read it because your tuner has removed/disabled the code that allows reading.  If they have gone to the effort to remove the code to read, they probably also went to the effort to move the map locations or obfuscate them, which means depending on your skillset, you may be better off just starting from a factory tune, and modifying the appropriate documented maps.  This will also restore your ability to read-write over OBD.

I found myself in the same shoes as you, and am glad I decided to start fresh instead of build on the mistakes of the tuner.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 12:08:08 PM by Jason » Logged
tobz

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2011, 04:03:41 PM »

Nope...  Boot mode and flashing/reading with the NefMoto Flasher are two separate things.

edit to clarify:  You should be able to over-write your current flash with NefMoto, but you are unable to read it because your tuner has removed/disabled the code that allows reading.  If they have gone to the effort to remove the code to read, they probably also went to the effort to move the map locations or obfuscate them, which means depending on your skillset, you may be better off just starting from a factory tune, and modifying the appropriate documented maps.  This will also restore your ability to read-write over OBD.

I found myself in the same shoes as you, and am glad I decided to start fresh instead of build on the mistakes of the tuner.

My tuner is not in question here.  That's an entirely separate discussion, actually.  My concern is only with how to get my current tune off of my ECU, modify it to reallow flashing via OBD, and to delete out some emissions stuff while I'm in there.

Anyways, it sounds like powering up in boot mode and trying over OBD isn't enough, and that I'll have to get a full blown programmer and read directly from the EEPROM.

Thanks for your help.
kls

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2011, 04:28:16 PM »

Just get yourself a cheap Galletto cable and you'll be fine.
mechtronic

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2011, 11:25:02 AM »

Sir I have same problem on an Audi S4 V8 stick 2004. Tuner lock ECU we use a Kess V2 master and it gaves the errror bad check sum all time,I pull out the flash and edit the whole file and remove the EVC no read scrypt but we but I can not fix CS with the EVC plug inn.
I am not able to remove the Flash once more Flash pads on the board are fragile already. Also I can not get the original file from the car. I really need to read and write the car by the OBD2 plug.I need to turn off the rear O2 sensors since the first tuner remove cats on the car too and CEL is on all time. Any help will be apreciated. BTW this is my first time on the forum . I think is very helpful and nice group.

HW: 0261207991
SW: 1037368378
VIN nr.: WAUPL68EX4A030726
SW ver.:
Spare:
Engine: 4.2L V8/5V     
Ver.HW:
SW upg.: 8E0910560A  0020
Installation:
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2011, 03:16:36 PM »

start fresh instead of build on the mistakes of the tuner.

99% of all flashing problems are solved by this solution.

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: