Pages: [1]
Author Topic: EGT sensor plug?  (Read 6515 times)
userpike

« on: July 24, 2013, 01:26:14 PM »

Just looking to find out what those of you with EGT sensors in your turbos are using to plug the hole.

I was thinking a simple brass plug from the hardware store. Any thoughts?

Anyone have the part number to the fitting that goes in there with the sensor? I have an EGT gauge with a sensor already in the exhaust inches after the turbo, maybe I could rig it so I could switch between 2 sensors. My car didn't come with an EGT sensor.

I converted my GTI to a k04-022 turbo, blew it after about 1000 miles and they sent me a K04-023 with the damn EGT bung. I don't feel like sending it back and waiting more time than I already have.
userpike

« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2013, 11:03:46 PM »

the size is m12x1.0

an od size, just my luck and the oem sensors are unbelievably expensive. I'm not finding any used ones on ebay either.

So far I can't find anyone who makes an adaptor so that the egt port could be used with an aftermarket sensor either.
UrbanAssaultar

if you're not first, you're last

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2013, 06:18:38 AM »

the size is m12x1.0

an od size, just my luck and the oem sensors are unbelievably expensive. I'm not finding any used ones on ebay either.

So far I can't find anyone who makes an adaptor so that the egt port could be used with an aftermarket sensor either.

There is a solution to repair your EGTs

http://nefariousmotorsports.com/forum/index.php?topic=4302.msg43143#msg43143
userpike

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2013, 04:52:51 PM »

Thanks, but I am not looking to fix an old sensor. I'm looking for an adaptor fitting that would allow me to use an aftermarket EGT sensor in the OEM EGT bung in the turbo. The reason I said I couldn't find any used on Ebay is because I would have just cut the sensor off the wiring and used it as a plug for the odd sized EGT bung if I had to. I would rather utilize the bung if I can, but only can with an aftermarket egt sensor, hence the desire for an adaptor fitting.

preferably a m12x1.0 male to 1/8 in NPT female.

while I'm typing this I just read an email from Frankenturbo, which suggests I re-tap the bung to 1/4" NPT then fit a 1/4" NPT to 1/8" NPT threaded sleeve in to accommodate the aftermarket EGT sensor. This may be the cheapest route if I can find that 1/4" size tap I bought and only used once like 3 years ago...
infinkc

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2013, 10:12:51 PM »

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/497597-DIY-Replacing-the-stock-EGT-sensor-with-an-aftermarket-one-with-no-welding-or-taping

This was my thread, seems to be what you want.

Also if you want to just plug the hole, go to a bike shop and get a bottom bracket bolt, it's the odd m12 x1.0. Just remove the plastic cover from it.

userpike

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2013, 04:36:48 PM »

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/497597-DIY-Replacing-the-stock-EGT-sensor-with-an-aftermarket-one-with-no-welding-or-taping

This was my thread, seems to be what you want.

Also if you want to just plug the hole, go to a bike shop and get a bottom bracket bolt, it's the odd m12 x1.0. Just remove the plastic cover from it.

nice! Thanks for posting this.

You haven't had any issues with the brass fitting at all?
userpike

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2013, 06:58:27 PM »

Got it fingered out. The local auto parts store had a 1/4npt male to 1/8 npt female bushing. I found my 1/4 npt  pipe tap, retapped the EGT bung, drilled the hole out for the sensor to 7/32(3/16 would have worked I think but didn't have that size on hand) and everything went together like it was meant to be. The end.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: