Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Starting Tuning From Square 1 A few tips please  (Read 20431 times)
AustinLee

« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2016, 01:51:55 PM »

One more, and it would have been red no.5

I think nyet is telling me that maybe I shouldn't be a tuner...
adam-

« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2016, 02:55:20 PM »

Not at all. Smiley Keep getting stuck in, you'll get it!
megadoc

« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2016, 03:49:49 PM »

No man its all good ,a lot will learn from what you asking
AustinLee

« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2016, 01:53:10 PM »

No, req is req after losses (at the throttle body inlet, or, if we weren't using the misnomer "MAP", the actual MAP, which is in the intake manifold, downstream of the throttle body). That is because the PID works on the difference between req and actual (measured at the tb inlet).

P/R supported by the turbo is before losses (at the turbo compressor outlet), which is nowhere near the pressure sensor.

Even worse, you're also neglecting intake losses from ambient to the turbo compressor inlet, which makes the P/R you're basing your req boost even further off.

http://s4wiki.com/wiki/Compressor_map
No. You don't need an upgraded MAP because the turbo will never get that high. And if you did, you'll hit the hardcoded (in the ECU) MAP limit, which requires the ASM 5120 hack, which is definitely beyond your ability right now

No

No. Actual boost should not deviate from request, except during spool.

You completely misunderstood how the boost PID works, what P/R is, etc.
Alright guys ive got another run at this, probably get a few more Nos but that’s alright. So Ive looked at this website:
http://www.vaglinks.com/Docs/Audi/B5/S4/AweTuning_2.7T_Intercooler_Everything.pdf
Its super cool, shows the difference between RSW, AWE, and Stock Intercoolers. It shows the pressure drops and temperature drops across the rev range.
Ive also looked at this website, as you recommended:
http://s4wiki.com/wiki/Compressor_map
Ive used the 1st link to create part of my excel table showing the pressure losses for the stock IC’s.
Ive also looked on line and in my current location Buffalo MN area it is 900 ft above sea so the pressure is 14.18 calculated on a 65-degree day.
I then calculated my boost from my pressure ratio, that I had collected from my compressor map(90% of the surge limit to 90% of the choke limit). This percentage can be increased but only experience can tell how close to get to the surge/choke limits. I used the calculation on the s4 wiki page for this btw with Pboost = PR(Pambient-PICdrop)-Pambient-Pinlet(used 1 for this).

My only question with this is that my requested boost line without losses drops down to just over 10 psi at redline, and my requested boost after losses line drops down to 6 psi. From what I have read on the forums, people can hold anywhere up to 16 at redline??? I have not verified this information from a viable source.. This might be possible if I ran the requested boost closer to the Choke limit of the 03?
I’ve also researched that our MAP limit is at 22.5 PSI. Some Say 22 PSI. This Boost curve maxes out at just over 22 psi so itd have to be dialed back just a bit.
I also think I have a fair understanding of PID. I have read about it on the web and wiki, even before I got chewed out by nyet. The best way to explain the PID is to point to a graph that is ever increasing and decreasing. Now imagine a second graph that is a chasing it just like that 2-D helicopter game we used to play as kids. PID controls the second graph(actual boost) to increase a lot, or a little based on what direction the front graph is going(requested boost).
What ive also learned from this is that our stock intercoolers are very restrictive. And cant flow near as much air as we would all like(infinite )
Also lastly a note for nyet, I do greatly appreciate your input, and want to hear it! However just as an FYI, I am a mechanical engineer that has worked in testing and calibration and now I’m onto engine design(My heart still is in calibration and testing but this is where the world led me). Anyways please do not be so quick to judge as I do have a relative idea of what is going on, just missing a few pieces. Thanks!
corradovolksb

« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2016, 07:34:10 PM »

Set your load to spike at 204 and taper to 155 by redline and you will be good. You should spike 20psi and tapper to 13psi. Keep an eye on your WGDC and if your maxing it out at 95% your turbos can't keep up or you have a boost leak and the pid is trying to compensate. Also watch your CF's and injector duty cycle.

2000 Nogaro blue S4 Stage 2. VAG for life.
AustinLee

« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2016, 06:06:21 AM »

Set your load to spike at 204 and taper to 155 by redline and you will be good. You should spike 20psi and tapper to 13psi. Keep an eye on your WGDC and if your maxing it out at 95% your turbos can't keep up or you have a boost leak and the pid is trying to compensate. Also watch your CF's and injector duty cycle.

Thanks! ill give it a shot. Maybe ill be able to post a few logs tonight.
AustinLee

« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2016, 06:59:37 PM »

Alright... Long delay. Here is some data i took today.

Heres a 1st and 2nd gear pull. Doesnt look that bad peaking at 16ish psi

1st gear pull.. Why did actual boost scream way past requested?

Look at this lag time...

Im thinking i have a pretty crappy Tune. Apparently it was originally tuned by GIAC, not for sure though. Any thoughts suggestions? Just wondering what people think of the current tune.

AustinLee

« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2016, 07:01:35 PM »

Somehow the text got mixed up sorry guys. You still get what i mean though.
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2016, 07:45:39 PM »

Please use ME7L and ECUXPlot.

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
Ephry

« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2016, 08:47:38 PM »

Sub'ed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mister t

« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2016, 06:22:18 PM »

Nahh, Nyet is like that to everyone, just think of his crankiness as an endearing trait  Wink

you're definitely on the right track and your approach is very methodical, trust me, I've seen a million and one noobs come though here and most of their questions are phased like so: "hey i need help w XXX ecu anyone know how to toon?"

The fact that you've taken Nyet's advice and posted a response that made some sense means you're serious. So stick with it and welcome to the forums Smiley
AustinLee

« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2016, 12:23:22 PM »

Nahh, Nyet is like that to everyone, just think of his crankiness as an endearing trait  Wink

you're definitely on the right track and your approach is very methodical, trust me, I've seen a million and one noobs come though here and most of their questions are phased like so: "hey i need help w XXX ecu anyone know how to toon?"

The fact that you've taken Nyet's advice and posted a response that made some sense means you're serious. So stick with it and welcome to the forums Smiley

Thanks for the encouragement guys! Ok so currently i dont have an issue ECUXplot, But i am having an issue with Me7Logger. I cant seem to get it to register the correct drivers? I think? here is what happens when i try to run Me7 logger. I have already created my template file and a file for what is commonly logged ect. Created the ecu file ect. 

-> Reading log config file C:\Users\alm\Desktop\Cool Stuff\Austins Autos\Persona
l Autos\01 S4\Nefmoto\Software Shortcuts\Me7 Logger\ME7Logger_DIST_10072013_v1.2
0\logs\Commonly Logged.cfg .... done
-> Reading ecu characteristics file C:\Users\alm\Desktop\Cool Stuff\Austins Auto
s\Personal Autos\01 S4\Nefmoto\Software Shortcuts\Me7 Logger\ME7Logger_DIST_1007
2013_v1.20\ecus\AustinsOriginalECUfileGIAC.ecu .... done
Used Ecu definition is:
[Communication]
Connect      = SLOW-0x11
Communicate  = HM0
LogSpeed     = 56000

[Identification]
HWNumber           = "0261207452"
SWNumber           = "1037362558"
PartNumber         = "8D0907551T"
SWVersion          = "0003"
EngineId           = "2.7l V6/5VT"

Logged data size is 70 bytes.
Really logged are 38 entries with 70 bytes.
can't load library ftd2xx.dll
Initialization failed, exiting ...
exiting (cause=0x1)...

C:\Users\alm\Desktop\Cool Stuff\Austins Autos\Personal Autos\01 S4\Nefmoto\Softw
are Shortcuts\Me7 Logger\ME7Logger_DIST_10072013_v1.20>

I have read through the Me7Logger threads and it==they seem to lead me to the conclusion that my drivers are not setup correctly and that i need to update drivers with the driver located here:

http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/usb/virtual-com-port.html

However when i find the drivers manually and direct it to that location, it states that the most up to date drivers are installed. Kinda confused... Ive done alot of reading but not sure where to go next. it seems like id be able to get past this point even if i wasnt hooked up to the vehicle(id think itd get to a point and say no connection.). Trying to get this figured out while im at work, any ideas?
AustinLee

« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2016, 12:26:01 PM »

The above was shortened because Nefmoto wont let me post the variables im trying to log. Oh well at least everyone can see the issue.
AustinLee

« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2016, 12:28:49 PM »

When I try to leave in the variables logged i get this error:

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, webmaster@nefariousmotorsports.com and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Apache/2.2.31 (Amazon) Server at nefariousmotorsports.com Port 80
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2016, 12:29:12 PM »

However when i find the drivers manually and direct it to that location, it states that the most up to date drivers are installed. Kinda confused... Ive done alot of reading but not sure where to go next. it seems like id be able to get past this point even if i wasnt hooked up to the vehicle(id think itd get to a point and say no connection.). Trying to get this figured out while im at work, any ideas?

That's a windows driver installation issue; there are various ways to force windows to install the drivers that you want; unfortunately it depends on which version of windows etc. you are using.

I don't really have the patience to walk through the exact sequence and post it up.

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: