Pages: [1]
Author Topic: EGT sensor on 1.8t  (Read 6418 times)
Terror_Flynn

« on: March 20, 2014, 07:06:23 AM »

I think I have read somewhere that the 1.8t engines from Audi TT & s3 uses a EGT sensor.
Are that sensor a wideband like the RS6?

If so, could you use the sensor in some way on an older 1.8t engine?

Audi A4 Avant 1.8t Quattro -2001 (AWT)
userpike

« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2014, 09:06:55 AM »

I think I have read somewhere that the 1.8t engines from Audi TT & s3 uses a EGT sensor.
Are that sensor a wideband like the RS6?

If so, could you use the sensor in some way on an older 1.8t engine?

afaik The 1.8t that gets the egt sensor in the TT and S3 is from the 225/215hp quattro version with the k04-023 turbo. All others rely on calculated EGT so maybe with the code changes you could "turn on" the ECUs ability to use the EGT sensor on the older versions but you would have to wire it up yourself as the ori wire harness won't have provision for this.

I think they are indeed wide band sensors though.

One more thing, the K04-023 turbo is the only one with an EGT sensor bung, the older models (k04-020 and 022) don't. So you would have to change turbos or install a bung in the downpipe. Another thing is the EGT sensor itself has some weird non standard (metric but not a popular size) threads, so you would have to source a bung with the same thread size. Good luck on that!
Terror_Flynn

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2014, 05:20:20 AM »

Good info!! Thanks!

As I thought, some wiring is required. I wonder how the wiring is done on the original loom.

And for the codechanges in the ECU, I have to look in some original .bin how the EGT stuff is implemented. Or get help from someone that has more knowledge.

About the metric bung, I don't think that is gonna be a problem. I from Sweden and we have the metric system.

Audi A4 Avant 1.8t Quattro -2001 (AWT)
userpike

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2014, 07:57:04 AM »

Good info!! Thanks!

As I thought, some wiring is required. I wonder how the wiring is done on the original loom.

And for the codechanges in the ECU, I have to look in some original .bin how the EGT stuff is implemented. Or get help from someone that has more knowledge.

About the metric bung, I don't think that is gonna be a problem. I from Sweden and we have the metric system.

no, I'm saying the size is metric but it's a weirdly odd metric size, thats all. Plus it works as a compression fitting kindof the way the design is.. I had to drill out the threads and re-tap on the turbo where the sensor screws in it so I could fit a standard "screw in" EGT bung and sensor in the ori's place so I could use my AutoMeter brand EGT gauge with the probe that came in the kit.

Here in the U.S., the metric system is used for car manufacture now-a-days, just everything else still has to be different from the rest of the world. 
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: