Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: Stock standalone 4.2L V8 tune?  (Read 37004 times)
Marc

« on: December 28, 2012, 05:48:26 AM »

Hi,

I've got this project i'm working on:

It's a 4.2L V8 in a porsche 944 that will get beat up on the track.

I'm looking for guidance on which ECU i should get and which tune to put in. i just want a stock like level of power without the immobilizer stuff

Thanks in advance,
  Marc
prj

« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2012, 06:46:13 AM »

What engine code is it ?

PM's will not be answered, so don't even try.
Log your car properly.
Marc

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2012, 07:56:03 AM »

assuming it's the first three letters on this sticker: http://frankensteinmotorworks.com/944/IMG_0068.JPG it reads "ABZ"

from what i understand it's a 300HP motor.

i will be putting this through the stock 944 transmission (which is an Audi 016). my goal isn't maximum power, my goal is good power and maximum reliability. it will be raced in 24hours of Lemons which pretty much means non stop thrashing for two days at a time.

Motor swaps and fuel injection aren't new to me, but it's my first time working with Audi motors. here's a previous swap i've done: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rdbt8nCkItI (WWII radial airplane engine in an MR2 that i fuel injected with megasquirt)

ddillenger

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2012, 08:00:19 AM »

I was just reading about the airplane engine-something about a 500 dollar budget for the car that didn't apply to radial aircraft engines, so you shoehorned a 5cyl in there?

Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience!

Email/Google chat:
DDillenger84(at)gmail(dot)com

Email>PM
prj

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2012, 08:02:55 AM »

You could use the stock ECU as well.
The immo will need to be deleted, or you can simply use a small emulator box to fool the ECU. They can be had on e-bay for very cheap.
The stock ECU is quite easy to remap as well, but some creative cabling is required to do this in real time on a dyno.

The stock ECU also has knock control, which is a lot of effort to get working on an aftermarket ECU.

The important question is - why do you think you need an aftermarket ECU?
If the problem is only the immobilizer, then that is easily solved.

Log your car properly.
cerips

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2012, 08:03:12 AM »

I thought it was an ABZ.

It's from a pre facelift Audi A8, 32v and 300 bhp.

You could use the original ECU and use the 034 motorsport chip http://www.034motorsport.com/034efi-engine-management-034efi-chip-tuning-abz-v8-manual-conversion-performance-chip-p-21340.html
Marc

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2012, 08:16:35 AM »

I was just reading about the airplane engine-something about a 500 dollar budget for the car that didn't apply to radial aircraft engines, so you shoehorned a 5cyl in there?

yeah, it started from an "I bet you can't" moment and evolved into that car in about 4 months. there's a HUGE build thread here: http://forums.24hoursoflemons.com/viewtopic.php?id=4861 (warning, there are over 1400posts in that thread)

You could use the stock ECU as well.
The immo will need to be deleted, or you can simply use a small emulator box to fool the ECU. They can be had on e-bay for very cheap.
The stock ECU is quite easy to remap as well, but some creative cabling is required to do this in real time on a dyno.

The stock ECU also has knock control, which is a lot of effort to get working on an aftermarket ECU.

The important question is - why do you think you need an aftermarket ECU?
If the problem is only the immobilizer, then that is easily solved.

actually, i specifically do not want an aftermarket ECU. i want a reliable engine with good knock control and reliability.

the power to weight ratio of a fast lemons car is about 9lb(as raced)/hp at the crank. so the stock 300HP gives me 2700lbs as a weight target. they weigh about 2800lbs stock so i should be able to get it down to about 2600lbs even after i put a rally style cage in it while still keeping full stock body structural integrity.

I thought it was an ABZ.

It's from a pre facelift Audi A8, 32v and 300 bhp.

You could use the original ECU and use the 034 motorsport chip http://www.034motorsport.com/034efi-engine-management-034efi-chip-tuning-abz-v8-manual-conversion-performance-chip-p-21340.html

that chip looks like everything i'm looking for. I'd prefer it without the stage 1 tune. I'll e-mail them and ask if it is possible.

i did not get an ECU with the engine, what should i shop for to get a stock one?
prj

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2012, 08:28:09 AM »

I think that "chip" could be just the software from euro S6.
In that case paying 550$ would be a bit odd.

Log your car properly.
Marc

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2012, 08:32:43 AM »

I think that "chip" could be just the software from euro S6.
In that case paying 550$ would be a bit odd.

they mention soldering which seems odd to me. i absolutely do not have an issue with surface mount soldering but i also expected this ECU to be reflashable.
prj

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2012, 08:45:02 AM »

The ECU is not flashable, the chip is OTP.
It was a 27C1024 IIRC.
You can get a flash replacement, and you can socket the ECU, then you can write it multiple times.

For serious tuning a 16 bit emulator will need to be hooked up to the ECU.
This will take some spaghetti. Unless you have the correct adapter.

Log your car properly.
Marc

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2012, 09:03:00 AM »

ahh, i see.

changing the eeprom in a CPU isn't a problem for me. I've done plenty of surface mount component work.

I'm not looking to tune it. i want a stock tune in a stock ECU with stock reliability. problem is, it seems that the "stock" tune i want does not quite exist. i need the immobilizer and the automatic trans control stuff removed.
prj

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2012, 09:19:33 AM »

Immobilizer is not done in the chip, it's done in the EEPROM.
Or you can use an emulator.

In fact I'd say - you can use an emulator, buy a 27C1024, find some S6 250kw stock euro software with manual box and then write that into the chip.
Then see if it starts up.

The chip is going to be a couple bucks, and since you can solder yourself, I guess it's worth trying, before shelling out half a grand.

Log your car properly.
Marc

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2012, 12:32:33 PM »

what about the automatic transmission stuff? if i just use an A8 computer with the $150 immobilizer bypass. what will the automatic transmission stuff cause? just a check engine light or will there be drivability issues?
ddillenger

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2012, 01:53:24 PM »

Given your budget, I'd say just run it with the oem management and the immobilizer bypass. I don't know how much the lack of a tcu will effect it, but PRJ should.

I read the thread. I feel terrible. Good luck this time around.

Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience!

Email/Google chat:
DDillenger84(at)gmail(dot)com

Email>PM
Marc

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2012, 06:40:37 PM »

Given your budget, I'd say just run it with the oem management and the immobilizer bypass. I don't know how much the lack of a tcu will effect it, but PRJ should.

I read the thread. I feel terrible. Good luck this time around.

i'm not sure why you say you feel terrible.

sure, it was "only" 20 laps, but how many people put a WWII engine in a car and took it around a race track? it was downright awesome!

there were lots of lessons learned and the next iteration of that car will be much more reliable.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: