Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why does KFLDHBN differ on K04?  (Read 3943 times)
fdante

« on: January 28, 2018, 04:03:04 PM »

Lets discuss KFLDHBN in ME7. I have seen different tables in RS4 B5, BAM 1.8T and APX 1.8T files. Why did the engineers bother to change them if they are not addressed at stock levels (lets say max 2.2). I am curious. The first is the APX which reduces heavily at temps lower than 30deg IAT. Why?
fdante

« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2018, 04:03:42 PM »

Lets discuss KFLDHBN in ME7. I have seen different tables in RS4 B5, BAM 1.8T and APX 1.8T files. Why did the engineers bother to change them if they are not addressed at stock levels (lets say max 2.2). I am curious. The first is the APX which reduces heavily at temps lower than 30deg IAT. Why?

The stock BAM is not reducing at lower temps than 30deg:

Stock RS4 reduces but not so heavily like APX :
« Last Edit: January 28, 2018, 04:08:14 PM by fdante » Logged
KasperH

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2018, 05:04:52 PM »

It protects turbo from overspeeding at high IAT by limiting max boost request.

As to why the APX & BAM are different; probably hardware differences/limitations
despite them being mostly identical  Smiley

But you are going to be between 20℃ & 70℃ on IAT in most cases,
and in that range the is little to no difference between the two.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2018, 05:12:45 PM by KasperH » Logged
fdante

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2018, 04:03:18 AM »

It protects turbo from overspeeding at high IAT by limiting max boost request.
Can you explain why this is needed? I would expect the hotter air to be less dense causing less volume of air being moved by the same amount of compression ratio. We are shifting to the left of the compressor map, closer to surge line, and fearing that we surge we shift down as well.

But the main question was why Bosch engineers reduced at lower temps? I suppose the answer might be that more volume of air is moved (denser) causing to shift to the right on the compressor map, and we might hit choke point/max flow limit of turbo.

Any opinions on this? Is my logic flawed?

But you are going to be between 20℃ & 70℃ on IAT in most cases [/
]
I agree, but at the moment it is 0 Celsius and doing some pulls.
TijnCU

flying brick

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2018, 12:57:32 PM »

No, because ME7 is load based you need to look at load input. If the mass air intake is lower, the ecu will request more duty from the turbo to achieve requested load. In result your turbo will have higher shaft speeds/pressure for the same mass flow. KFLDHBN is for turbo protection when going on high altitude, when the air gets thinner. It is not boost pressure but pressure ratio between ambient pressure and turbo outlet pressure. You can look at the k04 compressor map and verify max pr.
Why the BAM has different low temp values than the APX, I dont know. I would just match them to the highest values in the corresponding rpm column or calculate max pr that keeps you on the compressor map at those engine speeds and use that.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: