Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Using the Ross-tech HEX CAN USB Cable with the Galletto 1260 software?  (Read 22804 times)
Taktijs

Is this possible?

I have a Ross-Tech USB HEX CAN Cable, and I'm trying to get it to work with the Galletto 1260 software (I have an Bosch EDC16U31 ECU, so unfortunately I cannot use the Nefmoto software). Now both the Galletto 1260 ebay cables and the Ross-tech cable use the same FTDI drivers.
Does anybody know the difference between the cables?
I've read on some forums that the galletto clone cables have the same FTDI chip serial number. Is this number programmed in the galletto software? And is this maybe why my ross-tech cable, with maybe a different serial # will not work?
Anybody has experience with this? Both the VCDS and Galletto software does not use the dumb mode, pass through...what are the differences?
Any help is very much apreciated!
pvl

You better buy a serious flasher for that ecu.  I can't understand why people try to cheapskate on
such stuff..  really. Galletto can be had for 10'ers of dollars, same as MPPS V12.  I think people really
like to BRICK their expensive ecu as they don't know what they are doing...   
Time to spend some beermoney on a new flasher, dude. You will NOT regret that wise descision !!!!

Cheers,

PvL
professor

I agree with pvl after my bad personal experience.

pvl can you list some cable's (galletto, mpps) sellers?

Cheers,

professor

Seat Ibiza MK4 Cupra 1.8t 20V, stg3.
"Those 1.8T 20V machines are really tough" ©
Taktijs

What an assumptions, what an assumptions. This is not about the money. I do not like the clone cables, I've bought a genuine Ross-tech cable. This is just for my understanding, what are the differences. I'm totally not interested in bricking my ECU. I just want to read the data first, before I flash anything new onto it. And I'm exploring options for that, hence my question...

You say in specific for my ECU Galletto is shit? Why is this? Just for my understanding...

And BDM, MPPS....there are also 100's of clones you can buy on ebay....are these shit as well?
k0mpresd

if its not about $$ and you prefer genuine tools instead of clones, i have this one and it works great and has awesome support: http://magicmotorsport.com/shop/index.php/magpro2-tools/products/magpro2-x17-standalone-chiptuning-kit-master.html  Smiley
k0mpresd

i will say the bdm clone works just fine on the edc16u31. i flashed my wifes car with one.
just dont hook it up backwards and make the cpu go boom.  Tongue
pvl

@ professor : untill now, the .com site of ebay always worked for me (i'm not really into advertising Wink ). Type-in mpps or galletto @ the search-input, and you
will get a few sellers. Check-out their feedback a bit and all will be fine.
Just got 2 new mpps-V12 dongles in, and they both work a treat. It's the black coloured obd2 plug/cable with integrated electronics.
Sellers who accept paypal are usually loyal enough to send stuff, and sometimes deal with warranty-claims. Untill now, i had no issues with any of these.

I only lately blew my older style V3 MPPS, updated to V12 mcu while plugging-in a charger onto my laptop, that was fed by cigarette-lighter-powersocket, while
the laptop still had connection with the ecu and ignition was switched-on. Never do this kinda thing Wink   Still figureing out what causes the spike in voltage over
USB or via OBD-port (i was just done with reading a EDC15P-ecu, and the battery of the laptop was nearly empty).

@k0mpresd : Thats one fine piece of equipment. I think that this price-range can give the real professional a broader range of professional/original equipment to choose
out of. Like The new Galletto, CMD, Piasini suite, and others. I don't think, one can really go very wrong with such tools unless there is NO manuf. support backing-up
the product. Clone's are tools for people who 'know' what they do, and don't mind the risk they are taking with a tool that has no support and might a be outdated
for some specific ecu's.

@Takijs : Your post can be interpretted in several ways. Generally people come over @ Nefmoto, seeking a cheap way to flash their car and info about tunes. Therefore
my comment.

It would be nice to know what specific edc16u31 this is. Can you pass us some numbers ? I'm sure your original vag-com lead can tell us that.
This might help a bit. My point of view stays the same. Don't fiddle with interfaces that aren't designed in the first place for flashing ecu's. The support is the issue
on these. Plus the fact that you might also get a bad-flash just because of trying a very alternative way/equipment/combination to 'upgrade' or 'read' the software.
A.K.A. bricking your ecu. Untill now, i have zero bricked ecu's. And this is due to heavily searching the net/forums for info to do it right in 1 hit. It costs alot of time,
and it pay's off afterwards.

"You say in specific for my ECU Galletto is shit? Why is this? Just for my understanding..." -> Find forums which deal with dieselflashing v.a.g. cars. Look-up threads
which handle the EDC16U31. See if they all use a Galletto, and when one does, if he/she succeeded or failed. Or even worse, bricked their ecu when writing. Bootmode-
recovery ain't a option for this ecu. Thats BDM which can save your behind  only, or a newer interface, like the mpps or other more expensive ones.

Cheers,

PvL

Taktijs

Hi pvl (and others),

thnx for the replies! To give some more info about my ECU, here the info I got from VCDS:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Address 01: Engine        Labels: 03G-906-016-BKE.lbl
   Part No SW: 03G 906 016 FE    HW: 03G 906 016 FE
   Component: R4 1,9L EDC G000SG  9820 
   Revision: 12345678    Serial number: AUX6Z0E0091338
   Coding: 0000071
   Shop #: WSC 00079 211 85608
   VCID: 6BD57CC7499ED11

Again for my understanding, are there different EDC16U31 ECU's? Sorry for asking, I'm indeed a newby in this world, here to learn!

I've decided not to pursue adapting my VCDS interface for other purposes. Also Í think I'm not going for a Galletto interface. As I read on the forums, there are a lot of problems with this interface. I think I will go to ebay and shop for a MPPS V12 interface.

In your post, you mention that there are differences between the 16U31 ECU's? What are these? They use different eproms, or?
Thnx
prj

There is atmega with logic that does all comms inside VCDS cable. Galletto is totally different altogether.
The only thing that FTDI does is convert USB to serial.

The question you are asking is to put it bluntly, completely ridiculous. Of course it won't work.

Maybe you would like to run a Mac application on Windows and ask why it doesn't work? Just as a comparison.
Or flash your EDC with ME7 software, would be trying to accomplish about the same.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 07:15:23 AM by prj » Logged

PM's will not be answered, so don't even try.
Log your car properly.
Taktijs

I've already ordered a MPPS cable. What can I say, I'm a newbie, but just for info. On ecuconnections I found a thread of somebody who did this.

http://www.ecuconnections.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=8265
prj

Atmega was probably reprogrammed. Usually solder job. Also he never got it to work.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 08:37:24 AM by prj » Logged

PM's will not be answered, so don't even try.
Log your car properly.
Taktijs

And what about the info from my ECU? Is it flashable with MPPS? Or is using BDM the way to go?
k0mpresd

i would use bdm. but jtag has always been my favorite interface. it works and is always recoverable.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: