Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Needing some General Info  (Read 5033 times)
DYLANtheWHITE

« on: March 28, 2013, 05:48:05 PM »

Hello Everybody!

So, I'm very new to the whole tuning thing, but this is something that I'm very interested in learning about. Is there a thread for beginners, that goes over general basics? Like terms, and such. I would Like to get familiar with terminology so that when I'm searching for info, I know what I'm reading. Anyone recommend any readings? Couldn't find a Tuning for Dummies book Tongue

I have an 04' VW GLI 1.8t AWP 180hp
ddillenger

« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2013, 06:06:18 PM »

http://s4wiki.com/wiki/Tuning

Welcome.

The terminology you refer to is based on the FR (funktionsrahmen). Take a look at the translated modules if you have any questions.

Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience!

Email/Google chat:
DDillenger84(at)gmail(dot)com

Email>PM
DYLANtheWHITE

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2013, 07:54:28 PM »

Awesome!
thats exactly what I was looking for! Time to crack down and hit the books!  Cheesy

Thanks!
DYLANtheWHITE

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2013, 09:05:35 PM »

I have downloaded a bunch of bosch documents of all the map terminology, but theres a few terms I see a lot that are used in these docs that Im not seeing it defined. The term is "lambda"? It's probably so basic it doesn't need to be explained but its over my head  Undecided haha. Does it have any thing to do with the greek letter?  Huh

Also "damos" im seeing around a lot. It appears that damos means file?
ddillenger

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2013, 09:13:14 PM »

Damos is a definition file for identifying maps and scalars in flashes (commonly called bins). It's a winOLS extension.

Lambda is Air/Fuel ratio. The o2 sensors are technically lambda sensors. A lambda of 1 is stoich, or an AFR of 14.7.

Lambda as referenced on this forum relates to fueling.

Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience!

Email/Google chat:

Email>PM
DYLANtheWHITE

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2013, 09:20:19 PM »

crazy, everything that I have been reading has all clicked! lol

All this is a lot to take in, but it starts to become clear. A lot of the stuff discussed on this forum is towards the S4/A4 when it comes to ECU's but im assuming it's pretty much the same for all vw/audis, just have to have the correct defining variables and such.
ddillenger

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2013, 09:33:33 PM »

crazy, everything that I have been reading has all clicked! lol

Great. Keep reading. It'll lessen the amount of questions you ask, which will reduce the amount of backlash you'll have to suffer through. Some of us forget we weren't born knowing everything Tongue

But seriously, the golden rule around here is always search/try before asking for help. If you do that, you'll find everyone very accommodating. As your posts have proper punctuation and grammer, I don't mind reading them and helping. Kudos for your mastery of the English language.

A lot of the stuff discussed on this forum is towards the S4/A4 when it comes to ECU's but im assuming it's pretty much the same for all vw/audis, just have to have the correct defining variables and such.

Indeed, you assume correctly. The majority of the guys here are s4 enthusiasts, with the 1.8t guys being in the minority. Of them, the jetta gets very little love. That doesn't change the fact that they all use the same map structure and file architecture. The differences are small and insignificant. Your biggest challenge going forward is going to be identifying maps and creating a definition file. There are countless threads on how to do so, but if you get stuck, feel free to ask for help.

Email/Google chat:

Email>PM
mightemouce

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2013, 07:46:13 AM »

Your biggest challenge going forward is going to be identifying maps and creating a definition file. There are countless threads on how to do so, but if you get stuck, feel free to ask for help.

This has been one of the most difficult parts for me but this site has helped out a lot!!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: