Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Slight throttle cut high rpm  (Read 22776 times)
spacey3

« on: November 10, 2014, 05:45:36 AM »

Hi Folks,

I've been doing some logging recently and noticed that at high rpms (=> 5500 to be precise) the actual throttle angle is very jumpy.

I'll upload some logs after work tonight but was hoping for some ideas or some areas that I should be logging.

I've checked already :-

- EGT's - These appear to be not getting to high, no enrichment etc.
- IAT's - These rise up to 32*C at redline so don't think this is an issue
- Fuel - This is ok, I'm getting low 12's (checked with my wideband also)
- Boost - Actual is following desired pretty well
- Knock - I've pulled the timing so now I'm getting max 1.5* retard upon knock now (previously ~3/4 so thought this could be the cause)

I can't think of anything else that would pull the throttle, it's only a small amount, ~3% cut but it's very unstable.

I've been thinking a faulty N75, but that should show up with requested vs actual boost pressure shouldn't it?

Apart from this I'm thinking possibly a boost leak somewhere, or my wastegate is too tight (as turbo has been rebuilt a few months ago so it's been apart). Reason I think this is I put the standard map on and it overboosted and huge throttle cut at around the same rpm. It doesn't overboost on my mapped file though, maybe the turbo doesn't have enough in it to do so but something's wrong causing the erratic throttle angle?

As said, I'll upload logs later (new ones if anyone has any ideas as to what extra I should log), I also logged WGDC's but can't remember them off the top of my head, what should these roughly be at?

Thanks in advance!

Edit:- I'm running 22psi tailing to 17psi redline and is an LCR (BAM engine) K04 turbo.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 05:48:51 AM by spacey3 » Logged
spacey3

« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2014, 11:45:45 AM »

Quick update for anyone looking/thinking

I've loosened the wastegate and retightened until it's just nipped up, few mm preload that's all. Was maybe 7/8mm too tight and the car feels much better!

Boost gauge fluctuates much faster and stuff so it must be better controlled, not done any more logging yet as it's hideous out right now (damn rain) and can't safely do 4th gear pulls.
spacey3

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2014, 10:08:29 AM »

Any ideas?

Don't think I should be at 95% duty cycle should I?
ddillenger

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2014, 10:14:53 AM »

That is not throttle cut, and it is largely irrelevant.

Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience!

Email/Google chat:
DDillenger84(at)gmail(dot)com

Email>PM
spacey3

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2014, 10:21:17 AM »

Yes, I guess I believe it's not throttle cut in the sense of preventing boost deviation, but why it is so unstable?

I've checked it against the requested angle and it requests it. Albeit yes I probably can't feel it, it would be nice to know if there is an underlying problem, I just can't see/understand why it's happening?
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2014, 11:13:23 AM »

You'll need to actually post the log.

http://nefariousmotorsports.com/forum/index.php?topic=5295.0title=

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
spacey3

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2014, 11:34:04 AM »

Apologies, I had to cut some down as it was too big to upload but should be all there.

Ignore the initial overboost, I'm tuning this out Smiley

Thanks in advance
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2014, 11:41:05 AM »

Looks like you are at 100% WGDC.

That turbo is probably not going to be happy in the long run, unless you set your wg pretty soft and thats that.

BTW log is missing

1) timing
2) injector on time

Also, you have quite a bit of boost overshoot, you'll probably want to log the various PID variables.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 11:42:46 AM by nyet » Logged

ECUx Plot

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
spacey3

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2014, 11:46:34 AM »

Thanks Nyet.

Yea, I have a feeling I've made the wastegate too loose :/ it was previously around 70 IIRC. It's a k04-023 so I thought they'd easily do what I'm asking of it?

I have older logs with timing (it's fairly conservative I think with little to no knock)

I'll get another hopefully shortly with injector and timing.

Does the unstable throttle angle look like anything you've seen before?
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2014, 11:48:55 AM »

Does the unstable throttle angle look like anything you've seen before?

Yup. Very common, especially on older throttle bodies (and old harnesses... that is the signal from the throttle plate angle sensor)

If you are paranoid, you can pull it and give it and the connector a good cleaning. Might help.

If you want it gone entirely, you may need a new TB.

Does it matter? No, probably not..

ECUx Plot

spacey3

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2014, 11:53:41 AM »

Awesome, that puts my mind at rest then! I was thinking it could be something like that but everyone's logs I looked through were 100% all the way up.

Found it a little odd that the car is requesting that throttle angle, not just the signal coming back. It's a 2003 leon so it's getting on a bit.

I'll tighten the wastegate a little and clean the TB then get another log, see if anythings changed Smiley

Thank you.
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2014, 11:56:03 AM »

Found it a little odd that the car is requesting that throttle angle, not just the signal coming back. It's a 2003 leon so it's getting on a bit.

Uh, i confess I did not look that closely to notice that. That does actually seem odd.. Still, a few % isn't going to change much (or shouldn't)

ECUx Plot

spacey3

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2014, 12:00:16 PM »

Oh man :p

But no it's definitely not going to have any (noticeable) effect. Just wondering if there's an underlying issue somewhere.

I tried the standard map and it just overboosts (large TIP and exhaust) so I was going to try raising the limits (and keeping an eye on fuel) and seeing if the same thing happens.

Would confirm if it's a hardware issue I guess wouldn't it?

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2014, 12:44:57 PM »

Oh man :p

But no it's definitely not going to have any (noticeable) effect. Just wondering if there's an underlying issue somewhere.

I tried the standard map and it just overboosts (large TIP and exhaust) so I was going to try raising the limits (and keeping an eye on fuel) and seeing if the same thing happens.

If you have messed with waste gate pretention / adjustment rod you might have the pretention way off. You need to hook up a hand pump with gauge and pump 4-5 psi to each WG. You have to watch the Wg arm and adjust it so the WG arm just starts to open ( cracked open ). The waste gate should be wide open at 6-7 psi . If you have every thing way off you will have one turbo doing a lot more work and boost spiking. It is very important that you get the adjustments within 1-2 psi other wise you will get boost spiking , lag , turbo over spool and burnt out N75.

Lee

Poor quality lingers long after the price is forgotten ....
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2014, 01:05:01 PM »

The boost issues you are seeing have nothing to do with the throttle plate weirdness.. get your PID straight and your boost will be fine.

ECUx Plot

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: