Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Stage 3 S4 stuck with Vast  (Read 4100 times)
moskau626

« on: June 15, 2014, 06:30:53 PM »

Hey everyone,
I'm new to the forums but I have been scouring the boards and the entire web for quite some time now trying to educate myself on tuning.  I rebuilt an 00 S4 I bought with a rod through the block and spent quite some time and money doing it. I had the block re-machined, put in forged rods, and had everything balanced.  Putting it together and getting it running was easy, but I haven't the slightest clue how to tune.....so I got a Vast tune 3 years ago, and since they shut down have never found anyone that can tune it.  Maybe I am just looking in the wrong places, but I am stumped and don't know what to do. I would rather not have to buy yet ANOTHER ecu, the first ECU in this car was sent to Unitronic and they fucked it up.  It came back from them with a huge dent in the case but they refused to take responsibility for it, so I pretty much flushed $700 or so down the toilet.

I have a genuine VagCom, I have ECU-X (though haven't used it) and Unisettings, and an Innovate wideband, but I really just am not sure what to do.  The car mostly sits around these days, if I drive it its just for a cruise, it is just too rich at WOT to be a good driver (literally 8.5:1 AFR or worse, alot of soot and smoke).

I will list my mods just in case it helps,
  • Vast Tuned M-Box
  • 85mm Hitachi MAF
  • Walbro 255 fuel pump
  • 550cc Bosch Injectors
  • 2.8 cams
  • APR Bipipe
  • RS4 airbox, accordion hose, inlets, etc. etc.
  • K04's (Currently at 23-24psi)
  • 2.5" catless DP to 3" straight pipes
  • Snow Performance meth setup (twin nozzles)

I have a JHM MBC installed because I was getting low boost pressures with the N75, I am assuming because of the tune. I am sure there is alot of mods I am forgetting, if there is anything important I need to add I will gladly do it. If there is some posts or FAQs that I should read that will help me, please point me in the right direction.  I have been reading alot about UniSettings and using ECU-X to check knock, etc. etc. but to be honest, it is just too much information for me to make sense of.  Any help is appreciated, and if it matters I live in Newport News, VA in case anybody is local and wants to lend a hand!

Thanks everyone, hope that you had a good fathers day.
TurboNick

« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2014, 03:33:07 PM »

like you i am just starting out with all this, however on a much smaller budget lol

what i would do if i were you would be to get TunerPro, i have it and its magical. on this forum there are alot of resources. there are all the XDF files and tuned bin files you will need on here.  tuner pro can edit your ecu bin file and nefmoto will flash it to the car. i just drive around and log it and make the changes to the bin file based on the logs.

if i were you i would go to ebay and buy an extra ecu for your car. that way you have a test box. very smart idea considering i have seen some for $100

moskau626

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2014, 04:01:38 PM »

Thanks for the information, I am downloading TunerPro now and will start reading up on how to use this ish!  My main ecu (M Box) has the Vast tune but I will just try flashing it anyways, I have a spare H box but like I said UniTronic trashed it.  It is useable, I can drive the car with it installed, but it does not run very well.  Emergency backup only really.
TurboNick

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2014, 01:00:40 AM »

get a galletto setup and see if you can bench flash the hbox with a stock file and see if it works and start from there before you discard the unitronic ecu who knows maybe you can save it
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: