Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9
Author Topic: How to prepare a spare MED9.1 ECU?  (Read 117725 times)
ddillenger

« Reply #60 on: October 09, 2014, 06:01:56 PM »

Opening your (insert commercial tuner name here) file in winOLS is a grey area. While you fine tuned it, there is a lot more to the base file, code, etc, that Tapp intentionally doesn't include.

If you understand the ethical implications, and aren't bothered by IP concerns and really want to look at it, you can read it from the ecu, then import it into winOLS. Don't expect it to necessarily be the same version you're working on though. Commercial tuners are lazy and tend to use the same base on multiple vehicles even if it's not ideal. Also, don't try to modify it in any way, and disregard any checksum related errors.

Keep in mind, the fact that you're here already means you're lumped in with the rest of us thieves and impostors (if you listen to the peanut gallery).

If you've done this, and still can't open it (winOLS cannot open this file because it is already modified), then search for NOREAD with a hex editor and remove it (fill it with FF's). Then you will be able to open it.

Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience!

Email/Google chat:
DDillenger84(at)gmail(dot)com

Email>PM
ericpaulyoung

« Reply #61 on: October 09, 2014, 06:25:07 PM »

Good news. I don't feel too bad about trying to read it, and am a little surprised that I can't read a Maestro file because I am the one that tuned it using Maestro. It isn't like I am trying to read what some other tuner did, unless you count dual personalities Smiley

Anywho, can you do me a solid and immo off the ebay read that I pulled? I am excited to keep learning and trying to work on the ME9 ECU. This thing is pretty damn cool.

Now I just need to get my car back together (the engine is sitting behind me right now).

epy

ddillenger

« Reply #62 on: October 09, 2014, 06:33:18 PM »

Sure. Can you email it all to me? Can't DL right now.

Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience!

Email/Google chat:

Email>PM
ericpaulyoung

« Reply #63 on: October 09, 2014, 08:03:18 PM »

You got mail Smiley
Basano

« Reply #64 on: October 10, 2014, 12:42:04 AM »

Also check out Lar's excellent program for e2p checksums and immo off:

http://nefariousmotorsports.com/forum/index.php?topic=5833.msg54763#msg54763
ericpaulyoung

« Reply #65 on: October 10, 2014, 02:32:46 AM »

Nice. I will check it out.

EPY
SB_GLI

« Reply #66 on: March 03, 2015, 05:56:22 PM »

Opening these MED9 boxes are not for the faint of heart or impatient types.  I bent the bottom of the case to shit and it made me bleed my blood.  Damn you MED9 ecu!  Damn You!  You've embarrassed me.

Good thing it was a spare ecu.
ddillenger

« Reply #67 on: March 03, 2015, 06:53:16 PM »

Opening these MED9 boxes are not for the faint of heart or impatient types.  I bent the bottom of the case to shit and it made me bleed my blood.  Damn you MED9 ecu!  Damn You!  You've embarrassed me.

Good thing it was a spare ecu.

Wait till you try to open MED17 or BMW F series.

OMG
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 11:32:29 AM by ddillenger » Logged

Email/Google chat:

Email>PM
TCSTigersClaw

« Reply #68 on: March 04, 2015, 08:39:47 AM »

Even VAG MED17 are a pain..... , be extra ultra super careful opening a MED17  Shocked

VAG cars newbie tuner Smiley
ddillenger

« Reply #69 on: March 04, 2015, 11:33:01 AM »

Even VAG MED17 are a pain..... , be extra ultra super careful opening a MED17  Shocked

I have 3 of them here from "slips" opening them with several resistors torn off the board!

Email/Google chat:

Email>PM
prj

« Reply #70 on: March 14, 2015, 07:31:28 AM »

If you think that's a pain then try opening EDC17CP45.

PM's will not be answered, so don't even try.
Log your car properly.
Rick

« Reply #71 on: March 14, 2015, 05:53:49 PM »

Best to put a dirty big hole in the back of those!
ddillenger

« Reply #72 on: March 14, 2015, 06:39:49 PM »

Best to put a dirty big hole in the back of those!

How are you plugging that big, dirty hole Rick?

Email/Google chat:

Email>PM
Basano

« Reply #73 on: April 04, 2015, 11:58:48 AM »

Just a footnote to mention that I actually did manage to retrieve the e2p contents without having to crack open my original ECU and BDM-read it.

At the start of this thread, I wanted to make a spare ECU so that I could learn and practice, but still have my original ECU to fall back upon should I mess things up. To clone the ECU though, I learnt you needed both the e2p and flash and whilst I could read out the flash over ODB2, I could never get the e2p contents without opening the ECU and using BDM to read it. I didn’t really want to open up my original ECU, so in the end I settled for making an immo-off ECU as described in the thread.

However, the e2p is mirrored in the RAM as well and so you can indirectly get the contents of the e2p by reading out the RAM.  I used a little RAM logger made from an Arduino and SparkFun CANBUS shield and read out RAM locations 0x7F8000 to 0x807FF0 using KWP2000 commands 0x2C (DynamicallyDefineLocalIdentifier) and 0x21 (ReadDataByLocalIdentifier). Just loop until you’ve read the whole range of addresses. Reading the RAM works both in the car and on the bench.

Once you’ve got the printout of the RAM and made it look nice and tidy in a hex file, you can open it in a hex editor and search for the VIN. If you don’t know the VIN, just look for the first few letters since they all start with that anyway. The VIN appears in a few places but if you see it repeated with a few bytes between instances then you are in the right region. This helps narrow down the general location of the RAM mirror.

Now have a look at this generic e2p screenshot and you’ll see it’s made up of blocks (01 03, 02 04, 03 04, 04 03 etc). Each of those is a block number and marks the start of a series of bytes that make up a block. The blocks are described in the FR in section EEP_CONF 5.150.0 EEPROM-Layout if you are curious.

If you look at the RAM dump, you’ll see the very same blocks

Using a hex editor, simply copy each block from the RAM dump file to a generic e2p file, overwriting the e2p contents with the RAM dump contents.  If you see a block repeated in the e2p, that’s not an error. Some blocks have two physical copies for redundancy. Just work though the e2p file, making sure each block in the generic e2p hex file is overwritten with the same block number from the RAM dump file.

Copy block 01 03 from the RAM dump file

Paste block 01 03 into the generic e2p file

The e2p file itself is duplicated – the second half is a copy of the first half. So when you get halfway through, you can simply copy the first half (0x000 to 0x7FF) and paste it over the second half (0x800 to 0xFFF).

Now that you have an e2p file that’s a faithful representation of the e2p, you can check it using
Lar’s great tool

If you BDM-write this new e2p file down to your spare eBay ECU, along with the flash you read out via ODB2, then you will have a working immo on clone of your ECU!

One thing to mention is that the first 64 bytes of the e2p file is not in fact in the RAM mirror and so can’t be read out and copied across. As far as I can work out, it’s just a date and a hardware/software number and doesn’t seem to interfere with the immobiliser. Certainly I now have my immobiliser switched back on in my spare ECU and my un-opened original tucked safely away 

« Last Edit: April 04, 2015, 12:11:59 PM by Basano » Logged
nobody

« Reply #74 on: April 05, 2015, 02:14:07 AM »

The 2.0 TFSI MED9.1's are all the same at a hardware level. No worries there.

Once the immobilizer is defeated (need both the eeprom and flash) you are correct, the ecu is able to be benchflashed, or whatever else you want to do.

PM me when you're ready.

I'll make a clone of a MED9.1 (1k0907115) ECU to another MED9.1 ECU (8E0910115) is this possible over BDM? Or only with ECUs ***907115 ?

Regards
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9
  Print  

Jump to: