Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Hi all from a new VW nut in the North  (Read 13302 times)
mikeb52

« on: November 09, 2013, 10:34:39 PM »

Hi folks, I'm Mike from Orangeville Ontario Canada.
Been a car nut my whole life and have been playing with a 90 G60 Corrado for a few years. Restored her supercharger and front k frame along the way.
I now have a donor 1.8T AWW with a tweaked chipset from an 01 Jetta I want to install in my Rado to give her speed and torque to match her style.
I am learning about the ecu and the immobilizer among other things and want to disable the immo, as well as some, if not all of the emission stuff I wont need on the Corrado.
I am looking at a usb connector on ebay as below for like 20 bucks

OBD2 OBDII VAG K+CAN Commander 1.4 diagnostic cable for Audi/VW/SEAT/SKODA H110

Will it work with the nefmoto flash programs etc.
Any tips to speed my education will be appreciated and paid forward as it were..

Cheers all.
Mike
oldcarguy85

« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2013, 05:56:22 AM »

Hey mike,
Yes, that cable sounds like the right one.  Can you post a link to the ebay auction just to make sure?

I also have an AWW (although in a GTI).  Immo off is relatively straight forward -- u do have to put the ECU in boot mode (take ecu apart, ground pin 24 on eeprom during power up, etc.), but that's not a big deal.

Good Luck!
mikeb52

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2013, 03:38:21 PM »

Thanks for the reply!
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/271304445606?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649
Is the link to the cable I picked up.
I have a copy of vag com, as well as the flasher program from on here and once I get the above cable I will be able to defeat the immobilizer hopefully, once I learn all the steps.
What else can I do with this set up?
My car is a 90 Corrado so I will probably want to eliminate all sorts of things that won't be hooked up from the jetta.
The jetta 1.8t seemed to have a tune or chip set mod done as it was not stock,, fastest little car i've ever been in, hands down..
So I want to see if the ecu settings overall work once I have her installed.
Want to learn how to make back ups of my program, modify parameters, work with tweaks,, you name it!
Anyway, Thnks again for the reply and the help to all in this board!
oldcarguy85

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2013, 05:19:21 PM »

http://nefariousmotorsports.com/forum/index.php/topic,1168.0title,.html

That's what u need to read/write the EEPROM to defeat the immobilizer. Make sure you backup the EEPROM before reading the ecu with nefmoto software. Some aftermarket tunes store info in the EEPROM that gets overwritten by thw nefmoto software.

If you need help tuning the aww, I've become somewhat proficient having just finished my stage 1 AWW tune
mikeb52

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2013, 09:40:27 PM »

http://nefariousmotorsports.com/forum/index.php/topic,1168.0title,.

If you need help tuning the aww, I've become somewhat proficient having just finished my stage 1 AWW tune
Thanks for the link, and the offer to help with the tune 85. I'll be waiting a month for the cable so will spend the time finishing pulling the donor engine and harness out of the jetta.
Can't wait to get this puppy planted in my Corrado..
Cheers.
mikeb52

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2013, 05:55:34 PM »

So I have the software installed but haven't opened it yet as I still don't have the cable but I was thinking about the steps.
This thing plugs in through the obd2 port I am presuming so I'll need to wait until after everything is installed to access the ecu programming?
I have vag com 4.09 already but haven't used it yet either. It seems to have an immobilizer icon but I am guessing that has nothing to do with the process of defeating the immo.
This is all still quite intimidating a process, I thinks I needs a coffee..going to be a steep climb up learning curve hill. .
Cheers..
 Grin
oldcarguy85

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2013, 07:23:54 AM »

So I have the software installed but haven't opened it yet as I still don't have the cable but I was thinking about the steps.
This thing plugs in through the obd2 port I am presuming so I'll need to wait until after everything is installed to access the ecu programming?
I have vag com 4.09 already but haven't used it yet either. It seems to have an immobilizer icon but I am guessing that has nothing to do with the process of defeating the immo.
This is all still quite intimidating a process, I thinks I needs a coffee..going to be a steep climb up learning curve hill. .
Cheers..
 Grin

It's farily easy to get your cable connected on teh bench.  In the thread below, see response number 3 for the pinout.

http://nefariousmotorsports.com/forum/index.php?topic=3709.0

The immo defeat is relatively straight forward.  You just get the EEPROM programing tool in the post about and, once your have your cable connected, follow the instructions to read teh eeprom.  You then update two bytes, and update the checksums (i believe directions for that are in that thread as well).  if you need help with the actual modifications to the EEPROM, i can help you (or loads of other people can).  Then it's just a matter of using hte same program to write the eeprom. 

Have you read the procedure for entering boot mode?  It's fairly simple, but it does require popping the cover off the ECU.  you basicalyl ground pin 24 on the eeprom, power up the ecu, then remove pin 24 ground.
mikeb52

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2013, 04:15:15 PM »

Thanks for the reply, yet again sir.
That link helps me to understand the wiring involved very well. And realise I need more than just that laptop dongle to do this immo defeat.
I thought I could do it all with just that and my laptop while the original harness was still in the donor car without cracking open the ecu at all.
Now it looks, and I'm still reading, that I need to put it on the bench either way to get the ecu into boot mode.
I have downloaded and tested both those me7 programs and I got me to their help screens so I'm gtg there!
Think I will be hitting the surplus store tomorrow looking for atx cables and really little connectors. And a power supply,
So do I just run wires from my obd2 connector, which in turn is connected to the laptop via the usb port to the identified pins on the ecu? ie pin 43 on ecu to pin 7 on obd2 connector, pins 1 and 2 to pins 4 and 5 etc? what about those can bus leads, are they not applicable on our ecu's?

Thanks again!Wicked site for information on tuning here...
« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 08:57:59 PM by mikeb52 » Logged
oldcarguy85

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2013, 11:51:01 AM »

Sounds like you've got it! Yes, you don't need can lines hooked up
mikeb52

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2014, 06:57:10 PM »

Hey all, finally finishing this swap after a crazy cold winter up here.
Actually opened my ecu cover slowly tonight and hopefully will have an image of my EEPROM file later tonight.
From all my readin online this winter it seems I will need to eliminate the immo, the sai codes, the evap codes, the asr, or anti slip codes to make this work seamlessly in my Corrado.
I wold also like, if possible to rebrand the file with the 1990 vin and ID for clean air purposes.
So any help, assuming I don't fry stuff in my imminent efforts will be appreciated..
Cheers for now..
mikeb52

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2014, 10:07:39 PM »

Well, strike one.
Hd everything connected properly, I think. Switched power going to the dongle and two points on the ecu. Ground going to the two as well, k line connecting and grounding wire.
When I try to connect the ecu I get the following message,
No echo from cable error =0x07
Any ideas where to look, I hope I don't have a crap USB cable. It does let me use it in the other car with vag com so I presume that it's ok.
Thanks
mikeb52

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2014, 03:01:03 PM »

So, it was late and I was tired last night.
Checked my connections again today and my set up is as follows:
Pass through usb dongle, I'm connected to ground on pins 4 and 5, 7 is k line and 15 power.
On the ecu ground on 1, k line on 42, switched power on 3, and 62.
This dongle when tested with other car allowed certain vag com functions but I also got " to many communication errors" messages via VC that I presumed were the car as its a bit of a beater but could be the cable possibly.
Any help on the echo error message, would be awesome.
Thx
I have an older serial cable type vag com cable with a black box mid cable that I was thinking of trying on the other pc, but wonder if this old style would work. Pass through capabilities and such.
Sorry, I'm such a newb at this for an old guy..
« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 03:56:21 PM by mikeb52 » Logged
ddillenger

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2014, 04:07:42 PM »

You need an FTDI, serial cables will not work as far as I know Sad

Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience!

Email/Google chat:
DDillenger84(at)gmail(dot)com

Email>PM
mikeb52

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2014, 05:16:46 PM »

I bought an OBD2 OBDII VAG K+CAN Commander 1.4 diagnostic cable for Audi/VW/SEAT/SKODA H110 off eBay.
Is that not an ftdi cable? I'd buy a different one if the above isn't right.
Thx for the reply..
mikeb52

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2014, 07:01:05 AM »

Well, I ordered a cable as tested on the nefmoto page, now I need to wait for delivery.
The one I have now says it has the same features but for the sake of trial and 10$ I ordered another.
Keeping busy finishing the install in the Corrado, plumbing in the new euro Hellas and auto leveler wiring etc.
Once I actually have the bin safely copied, then I will have more specific questions being a complete newb to this stuff.
Thx for the help..
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: