Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 2 bricked ECUs in 2 days.... any ideas?  (Read 7527 times)
pablo53

« on: May 07, 2013, 09:22:02 PM »

I always have a spare ecu, but tonight, I bricked the second one and have had zero success recovering either one.

First was last night on my RS6R 3L A6.  M box software and currently working on boost PID for these turbos.   Flashed the file with NEFMOTO on the bench, cycled the ECU a couple times, then stuck it in the car.   When I turned on the key (without starting the car) for tba, the tb just kept clicking.   

I flashed my second ecu after verifying the checksums were good, and drove around logging boost for an hour or so.  Drove to work today no problem.  Got home to see about fixing the broke ECU.  I was able to read it in Galletto in boot mode, but when trying to flash, it loads up to 6% then gets and error.

I got an MPPS cable the other day so I tried that, too, and it causes an error as well.  It reads ecu info, goes through the security stuff, clears ecu, then flashes an error.  MPPS won't read or write at any of the 3 speeds including recovery, and NEF doesn't connect at all.

I've attached the working file, and the file read back from Galletto, and as you can see, there are many differences in the files.  Scary differences.

I'm stumped.  Any ideas?

As for the second ECU, similar issues.  A friend's car has an A6 L box (my 2000, bosch maf), we tried to flash with modified for Bosch Maf S4 L-box, and had the same problem.   I pulled the good ECU from my car, re-flashed the 4B0...L file without a problem, and sent him on his way.

Been at trying to un-brick one of these ecus for hours.
coreyj03

« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2013, 06:39:19 AM »

im in the same situation right now with a vr6 and 1.8t ecu.  when they fail to flash in boot mode the only option ive been successful is to desolder the flash chip and use a programmer.  im currently experimenting with using a 44 pin test clip but that is is a PITA to solder all those wires.
prj

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2013, 07:59:34 AM »

Hot air, programmer, done.

If you do not want to get a hot air station, you can use chipquik to flood the pads and remove the chip, useful in a pinch.
However, you will spend a lot more time cleaning the pads than with hot air.

PM's will not be answered, so don't even try.
Log your car properly.
pablo53

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2013, 12:20:06 PM »

I have some chipquik left over from replacing my cluster display.  Can someone recommend a decent and inexpensive eprom programmer?   I'm considering this one, but shaky on if it's all I will need: http://www.mcumall.com/comersus/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=4282

Constantly stepping into territory.  Again  Cheesy

I suppose it’s time to buy a hot air station along with the programmer.   I've been wanting to, just no good reason to take the step.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 01:04:43 PM by pablo53 » Logged
prj

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2013, 02:57:25 PM »

That programmer is great, I've been using it for many years now and it never let me down.

Get the 29Fxxxx ZIF adapter as well from their site and you should be good. Code ADP-019.

PM's will not be answered, so don't even try.
Log your car properly.
ddillenger

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2013, 04:27:49 PM »

Yep, gq4x here as well. I had a 3x prior, but the 4x is better. Make sure the 29fXX adapter is psop44 to dip 32/40, not dip44 as that won't work in the programmer.

Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience!

Email/Google chat:
DDillenger84(at)gmail(dot)com

Email>PM
pablo53

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2013, 11:04:30 PM »

Thanks for the advice.    I'd almost panicked and ordered this stuff before I knew for sure what to buy, but this evening I had an idea.

Since I was able to read the file in boot mode with Galletto, and then write the same file back on (no other files would work), I tried then flashing the same file again with MPPS in normal mode.   I'd tried flashing other files, and I would get an error.   

It worked with the sheit file though.  Quick too.   Once it flashed, I did not cycle the ECU.  I left it powered and immediately tried connecting with nefmoto.    This left the bad flash in limbo.  I connected to nef and the "This is the RAm Program" message pops up....

Which was what I was hopping for.   Reflashed a good file, cycled the power, and shazam... resurrection.

Tried it with the second ECU, and was able to read/write in bootmode, but no communication between the ECU and MPPS.    So I will pick up some am29F800bb chips, a programmer and adapter, and give it a go, but at least I am not scrabbling for an ECU now.

Test and tune is Saturday.   Lots of work to do before then.
pablo53

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2013, 09:37:55 PM »

Got my GQ-4 today along with a 5 pack of AM29F800BB, and wow.  Easy to use and works like a charm.     

Rescued the second bricked ecu and even save another one that I though for sure was a goner.  It's been sitting for a year. Alligator clips from the power supply touched and shorted in the middle of a flash.

Thanks for the advice guys.

ddillenger

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2013, 09:45:10 PM »

It's worth noting that the factory 29f800bb is a 70SE. I typically replace them with 29f800BB-70SD which is fine, but make sure to get a chip with the same, or faster rated speed (IE you can use a 50 in place of a 70, but not a 90 in place of a 70, the suffix is access time, lower is faster).

Glad you're up and running!

Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience!

Email/Google chat:
DDillenger84(at)gmail(dot)com

Email>PM
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: