Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Chinese REVO cable  (Read 11815 times)
vdub

« on: December 18, 2011, 08:47:35 AM »

Ok, I confess my sin.. Couldn't find a room for myself - wanted to flash any tuned file in my 1.8t AWP tiptroned ECU. The problem is that my abilities in programming is limited to "read and clear" errors in VAG-COM  Undecided That's why I decided to be fast and furious buying the Chinese REVO cable...
The advertisement was nice but none of sellers give me any information of how that cable works and so on.. So it is in my hands now, but .... after I spent enough time at this forum I understood that if I  will flash included REVO .rtk file I may have to start looking for new ECU or try to return to life my old one. So it is dangerous to flash it especially   when the ECU names don't match with flashing file (not all ECUs are covered, I am lucky - my isn't too).

In my guess those files are real REVO software, cable should work (at least the chip inside it looks serious  Grin ), so maybe someone already had an experience of using this thing? Are there any way to dig into REVO .rtk file and pool needed maps or whatever and build a "normal" file and flash it via nefmoto???
createddeleted

« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2011, 10:18:35 PM »

You are running into trouble already. Start from the ground up. Mimicking and copying won't let you learn anything, which is essentially ignoring the core concept of tuning. You should know what you change and why. Don't blindly flash a file to your ecu, you will learn the hard way as you have already foreshadowed.

vdub

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2011, 07:20:06 AM »

Actually REVO sells their original cables so you can chip ECU by yourself with zero  knowledge in programing, I think the one I got is just a copy, why "copy" shouldn't work? As for now, I was not going to make any changes in maps etc., this cable came with a REVOFLASH software, the only problem I see is that tuned files which came with cable doesn't match my last ECU letters, so I may have some IMMO problems.
You are right about that I shouldn't flash whatever in my ECU while I have no idea what I'm doing. But since I still have this cable in my hands I see no hedge why I can't be trying to find out how make it work and why it won't work. Also, this topic might be helpful for others who got same cables from China...
TTQS
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2011, 08:37:05 AM »

I have Revo Stage 2 on my motor.

Please would you post a link to this cable?

TTQS
coreyj03

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2011, 08:51:51 AM »

it doesnt matter what the 2 letters on the end of a file are (there are very minor differences). as long as the file is for the same motor and transmission the flash will work.
I have successfully ran passat files in jettas, audi files in VWs and vise versa
and the immo is store in a different chip so dont worry about it.

another note i personally know the revo china clone works.. it has like 9 flashes on it Smiley but they are all out dated tunes.
vdub

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2011, 11:07:35 AM »

Please would you post a link to this cable?
They are not popular (yet, maybe). And the price range is wide... I bough it on Alibaba.com, here they are http://www.alibaba.com/showroom/revo-flash-3.html

...the immo is store in a different chip so dont worry about it.
another note i personally know the revo china clone works.. it has like 9 flashes on it Smiley but they are all out dated tunes.
About the IMMO - it was a topic here and the experiment says it won't work if your flash other lettered ECU http://www.nefariousmotorsports.com/forum/index.php?topic=564.0

I'm sure it will work - I don't think the software is a Chinese development, they found original revo files somewhere and somehow and made a couple thousand cheap copies....

I just tried it and unfortunately had no success - couldn't connect it, but that's my bad - I think I need another com port adapter, not USB to COM but PCMCIA to COM.
Aslo here is a picture with a list of included files, please look on the ECU last letters, maybe you can definitely tell which are interchangeable...
I actually have 1.8t AWP 032NL ECU (auto) but, of course, there was no mine in the list...

createddeleted

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2011, 11:13:25 AM »

If we're going down this route... lol

Any way you can increase the credits on the cable?

Can you upload a zip of all your RTK files?
vdub

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2011, 11:24:09 AM »

If we're going down this route... lol
Any way you can increase the credits on the cable?
Can you upload a zip of all your RTK files?
Don't about increasing credits. 9 flashes seems to be more then enough for one car  Grin
I'll do it later, it's almost 170mb..
But as far as I know .rtk file is an encrypted REVO file and it's not possible to convert it to bin. When Aslo I know that now REVO files have another extension, not .rtk anymore...
TTQS
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2011, 02:18:40 PM »

any way to dig into REVO .rtk file and pool needed maps or whatever and build a "normal" file and flash it via nefmoto???

Ahh... I see what this cable is now: a piece of hardware and some software on a disc with copies of nine original Revo tunes. I would be interested in seeing these Revo files for curiosity's sake, even if all that came out of it was a comparison between a 'normal' binary file and a Revo one. Please share and you will get the feedback you want pretty soon I'm sure.  Grin

I don't see any TT codes in that list, but there is an S4 and an RS4 2.7T tune, so surely that would be of interest to the main players on here if we could decode or interpret the .rtk files? 2003-2005 might be outdated, but my car is a MY2005 and the S4 and RS4 are MY2000-2001 so not an issue?

This is a worry though...

http://nefariousmotorsports.com/forum/index.php/topic,564.msg4546.html#msg4546

Revo make changes not only in calibrations maps also in exec code + add custom code and specially encrypted additional calibration maps.

TTQS
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 02:32:38 PM by TTQS » Logged
vdub

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2011, 02:44:18 PM »

I forgot to say that there are also a lot of trial files, so in theory I can try it and if something go wrong it will cure itself after 5 hours... As I said, in theory (my theory, my has no base). I also heard that once you got  a trial Revo soft flashed to your ECU the part of it will stay in there even after the time expired.. So again, I would like to get as much information about this tool as possible before I do anything to my ECU (don't have the spare one, you know).

TTQS, there were TT codes also - 018AH,CB,CC,Q and for A3, Leon, Cupra, A6,A8,Beetle, even R32...
TTQS
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2011, 02:49:51 PM »

TTQS, there were TT codes also - 018AH,CB

Superb! Let's see them... Grin

TTQS
ArgDub

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2011, 03:05:23 PM »

it will cure itself after 5 hours? good luck!
coreyj03

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2011, 03:06:28 PM »

revo must flash the 90540 chip along with flash memory chip.

because i know i have flashed files with different numbers without tripping immo.
lezsi

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2011, 03:28:05 AM »

revo must flash the 90540 chip along with flash memory chip.

because i know i have flashed files with different numbers without tripping immo.

Hi!

I thought the same thing when experienced with this cable, but had no success
(see http://nefariousmotorsports.com/forum/index.php/topic,564.msg4465.html#msg4465 )

I'd be interested in others experiences.

As for the USB/RS-232 converter, I needed to get an FTDI chip based cable, and then it worked fine.
(PL2303 chip's no workie here)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: