Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Program New Key 2004 VW V8 Touareg  (Read 11960 times)
Deviant0ne

« on: May 22, 2015, 03:25:17 PM »

I am attempting to extract the SKC from my 2004 Touareg. So far, I haven't really been able to answer my own question: what interface can I use that is under $50 to this task? I understand that VAG-COM [which I already have] cannot product a dump of the ECU, but the VAG-COM [as far as I understand] is able to program a new key once I have the SKC.

I have been looking into VAG K+CAN Commander but the information is contradictory, some providers say it works with the Touareg and other do not. Has anyone had any experience with this interface and this vehicle?

If the VAG K+CAN Commander doesn't work for this purpose, is it possible to use the VAG K+CAN Commander to dump the contents of the ECU to a file to be read by a member here? How about the MPPS K+CAN V.12? I've also found that using the Galletto interface could provide me the ability to dump the contents of my ECU to a file, but I haven't been able to find any information on if the Galletto is compatible with the Touareg.

TL/DR: Ultimately, I don't want to have to rip-apart my dash, crack-open my ECU and de-solder anything. If possible, I would like an interface cable [preferably under $50 USD] that I can connect to my computer and dump the contents of the ECU to a file, extract the SKC and program a new key using VAG-COM. Any assistance with this issue would be greatly appreciated.
316LV

« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2015, 09:59:18 AM »

First is your Touareg a petrol or diesel? If its petrol then it is ME7.1.1. You should be able to use your VDCS cable in dumb mode to read the contents of the eeprom in your ECU. Try Arg Dub's ME7 95040 tool from here using the switch '--SKC' in the command line. That should read out a copy of your e2p and SKC in one shot. To read your ECU bin file you should be able to use the Nefmoto flasher software.

I've used an internet copy of VAGTacho to retrieve the SKC from a friend's VW diesel using a cheap KKL cable with the FT232R chipset. I suggest getting a cheap cable to play around with instead of your expensive Ross Tech anyhow. I got mine on Ebay for $9 shipped. Here is a thread with people's suggestions for sources: http://nefariousmotorsports.com/forum/index.php?topic=325.0. They are so cheap I keep one in my car all the time along with a netbook.

You are correct in that once you have the SKC then a new key can be paired using VCDS. Its super easy. Ross Tech has a video to show you how its done on their site

I wish I had experience with the Touareg so I can tell you if the above suggestion will work. Its worth a try though... Arg Dub's tool won't write over OBD2 I believe, so its safe enough to try. Good luck.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2015, 10:18:31 AM by 316LV » Logged

Go ahead and give me negative karma... I don't care if you like what I post princess.
Deviant0ne

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2015, 08:22:54 AM »

Thank you very much for the information, 316LV. This software is exactly what I was looking for; however, now I'm having a different issue...

To answer your original question, I have a 2004 V8 gasoline [petrol] Touareg. With that said, I have three different VAG-COM cables and I get nothing but communication errors [07] using V1.31 or V1.40. One of the cables is Chinese and the firmware was upgraded, which broke the cable so that one is likely completely useless. The second cable is another Chinese cable and works with VCDS 12.12 without issue and the last cable is a HQ-clone from Bulgaria that works fine with the latest version of VCDS. The answer might be that I need to "invest" in one of the cables you recommended. In any case, thank you again for the information, I will keep trying.

As a side-note, what version of ArgDub's tool are you using? When I pass the --SKC switch to either version I was able to find, it's as though that switch isn't recognized. Thanks!
« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 08:25:48 AM by Deviant0ne » Logged
maltloaf_df

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2015, 03:23:21 PM »

When I pass the --SKC switch to either version I was able to find, it's as though that switch isn't recognized. Thanks!

--SKC must be upper case. If you put it in lower case it's not recognised
Deviant0ne

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2015, 07:06:37 PM »

--SKC must be upper case. If you put it in lower case it's not recognised

Thank you for the input! I still can't get ArgDub's tool to read my Touareg's ECU; I think I am just going to order an MPPS 16 from Diag Lauter and dump the contents of my ECU that way, unless someone has an ever better suggestion...
316LV

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2015, 08:30:16 PM »

Try version 1.30 or older... I think that is what I used because it was a long time ago. I'll check my car laptop when I get back to it though. 

I do recall having an issue with a comm error on a buddy's ECU. I did it on the bench instead of through the OBD2 port and it worked. Try that as a last resort I suppose.

Go ahead and give me negative karma... I don't care if you like what I post princess.
Deviant0ne

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2015, 07:17:29 AM »

Try version 1.30 or older... I think that is what I used because it was a long time ago. I'll check my car laptop when I get back to it though...

Thank you for the suggestion; do you happen to know where I could find the older versions? The only versions I see in the forums are 1.31 and 1.4.

EDIT: I found V1.30, are there versions older than that? Thanks!
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 07:20:45 AM by Deviant0ne » Logged
Hollywood

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2015, 10:23:31 AM »

Is the car KESSEY? I've extracted the PIN from Touareg and A8 by reading EEPROM in KESSEY module and using Carprog to get the pin. Post bin if you don't have carprog and I'll get you the pin.
Deviant0ne

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2015, 10:53:12 AM »

Is the car KESSEY? I've extracted the PIN from Touareg and A8 by reading EEPROM in KESSEY module and using Carprog to get the pin. Post bin if you don't have carprog and I'll get you the pin.

Yes, my Touareg has a Kessy. To your next point, I very much appreciate the offer, but I think that's my whole problem: how to I create a dump of my ECU? Would I be better-off buying an MPPS for creating a dump file or getting a CarProg 7.28 from eBay for the same purpose?
Hollywood

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2015, 08:06:13 PM »

Sorry for the delay, The eeprom in the KESSEY module is what I take the dump from to obtain the SKC> I forget which chip is in it, but if you do buy a china carprog, make sure you look into the modifications that people do to make them function better. mine was very flaky until I replaced the 74HC125 chips. Here is carprog showing you how to make china clone work properly http://www.codecard.lt/carprog/carprog-repair-kit-4x-74hc125-4x-22uf-capasitors-1x-mcp2515/prod_566.html Working great ever since. Any other EEPROM reading too should also work, but someone else will have to extract the pin from the bin.
Deviant0ne

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2015, 06:26:35 AM »

I decided to purchase a VAGDashCAN 5.14 in hopes that I would be able to recover my SKC. I purchased a key key as well, which arrived yesterday; now I just need the VAGDashCAN to program the stupid thing!

I also ordered a KKL interface based on the recommendations in this forum as a backup. If the VAGDashCAN can't get the job done, I'm hoping that the KKL interface in conjunction with ArgDub's tool can.

If neither of those options work, I'm back to square one; who knew this would be an involved process! I'll post back here with any new information on my situation, hopefully this can help someone else going through the same motions.
Hollywood

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2015, 02:04:36 PM »

I'm pretty sure the SKC isnt stored in the cluster on KESSEY cars. The kessey module is what validates the key info, not the cluster.
Deviant0ne

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2015, 02:13:06 PM »

I'm pretty sure the SKC isnt stored in the cluster on KESSEY cars. The kessey module is what validates the key info, not the cluster.

Thank you for this information; with that said, any idea how I could program this blank transponder I have? I still haven't received my VAGDashCAN or my KKL interface, but I plan to post back when I have more information on these interfaces.
Hollywood

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2015, 02:43:52 PM »

Do you have vagcom? I usually pull the eeprom from the kessey module, use carprog to read the pin from the dump, and use vagcom to program the key.
Deviant0ne

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2015, 02:48:47 PM »

Do you have vagcom? I usually pull the eeprom from the kessey module, use carprog to read the pin from the dump, and use vagcom to program the key.

I do have VAG-COM. Does that mean I have to de-solder the EEPROM from the KESSY? Is there anything that will read the SKC over the OBD2 port?

UPDATE: I received my KKL cable today and attempted to extract my SKC/dump the ECU to a .BIN and was unsuccessful. I'm still waiting on my VAGDashCAN, which is now in Sacramento, so I'll post back once I attempt the extraction with that tool.

UPDATE 2: After months of research and posting in various forums, I was finally able to program a new key fob on my own using VCDS and VAGDashCAN. I'm still planning on buying a CarProg, but the VAGDashCAN worked perfectly for me. Hopefully this information helps someone in the future.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2015, 06:23:25 AM by Deviant0ne » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: