Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Want to buy MPPS? Look here before!  (Read 2711 times)
marantzvieta

« on: February 20, 2023, 11:31:50 AM »

Hi,

After searching a ton of info about chinese clone MPPS versions I want to share the bit of information that worked for me when had to purchase a good working MPPS clone for hobbyist use.

There are two versions you can buy today: V18 and V21.

V21: more modern but has caused thousands of people a ton of headaches by locking themselves after 10 uses and left them stranded with a 20 to 30usd plastic and not so heavy paperweight.

V18: a bit older and some people have reported issues, but others have not. Why?

It is hard to find but there is one chinese page that shows the difference between a good clone and a bad clone, hardware and software wise

Hardware: when looking for an MPPS cable to purchase, only do so for a V18 version and with pictures of their boards in the description or reviews. There are some clones that will change the circled resistors (511) for others like 101 or 102, which are not correct as per the original pcb. Also, the diodes circled sometimes are missing. They are ESD Can protector diodes PESD1CAN (3 pin) and PRTR5V0U2X (4 pin). If you get a bad clone, you can rework them with these components, but making sure to purchase a good one in first place will save you headaches. Some have been working without issues without the 4 pin diode, so if you get one withou it, it may be worth a try.

Software: a V18 MPPS HAS to be used with a V18 software. Sometimes they ship it with V21 software without notice and it'll kill it after 10 uses like has happened to other poeple. So make sure to verify your software before using it, and if this happens to you text the seller and ask him to send the correct software.

Hope this info is useful and that helps you make a good purchase.

Kind regards,
Blazius

« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2023, 11:38:20 AM »

Thanks.

But you can also buy the V16 version these days, the only downside is it only works up till Win7, but iirc it can be made to work on win10.
As for reliability it never once let down and it mustve been used 100 times by now.

Another thing iirc is that some boards only work with a specific software version that they supply and if its the wrong one aka lock after 10 tries then you are out from luck.
royce5950

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2023, 05:10:02 PM »

Thanks.

But you can also buy the V16 version these days, the only downside is it only works up till Win7, but iirc it can be made to work on win10.
As for reliability it never once let down and it mustve been used 100 times by now.

Another thing iirc is that some boards only work with a specific software version that they supply and if its the wrong one aka lock after 10 tries then you are out from luck.

I have a v16 clone that I too have had great luck with.. and I don't even have one of those "fancy" EU clones with a blue or purple PCB or anything like that.. I just have a $17 china clone. I just always ran it on windows 8.1 and all was good.

Purchase Tuned Files Ready To Be FlashedFor Audi / VW 1.8T & 2.0T Engines ➡️ TUNEDBYV3@GMAIL.COMAs low as just $50
kubawd

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2023, 09:47:38 AM »

I bought my V16 a few years ago. No issues and it's working on Windows 10.
stuydub

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2023, 03:02:50 PM »

v16 on win 10 and 11 no issues and no loader software
v18 locked after 10
v21 no issues so far....

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: