Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 14
Author Topic: ME7 Emulator Tested and working.  (Read 112435 times)
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #75 on: February 22, 2013, 03:48:11 PM »

Dave: thanks for your post.

I am unsure of the best way to integrate logging with TunerPro. As prj said there are already some fairly flexible OBD based logging tools available for ME7. I'll try to summarize to help you find the best route.

VAGCOM/VCDS - very rudimentary logger. On ME7, it is extremely sample rate limited, and can only log the things that the ECU is set up to provide vs measuring blocks. Logs to CSV, some rudimentary real time display.

ECUx - Software tool developed by APR that can log much much faster, and can log (in theory) any location in the ECU's memory space. Unfortunately, it is closed source, no longer supported, and not extensible (can't tell it to log locations it doesn't already know). GUI based, so you can see data in real time in graph/gauge/etc format

ME7Logger - Software that uses the same technique as APR, but is easily extensible to log custom RAM locations. Command line based, dumps output to .csv files

NEFMoto Logger - same technique as ME7L above, GUI based, but still logs .csv files, no special real time display

ECUxPlot - very rudimentary GUI to visualize .csv logs from all three above.

Unfortunately, only the source to ECUxPlot is available, so translating the output of ME7L or Nefmoto into packets that TunerPro can interpret might be difficult. Likewise, adapting tunerpro to natively talk to ME7 ECUs over OBD may also be pretty difficult.

It would be REALLY nice if ME7L or the NEFMOTO logger could be hacked to transmit to a network socket (TCP, Unix Domain etc), but lacking the source (or the original authors' attention), that may be a pipe dream.

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
jibberjive

« Reply #76 on: February 22, 2013, 04:40:38 PM »

Maybe someone can pull on the ear of Setzi?  Would be really awesome to have this all streamlined into one package, but I'm not sure he's too keen on sharing the source.
prj

« Reply #77 on: February 22, 2013, 05:06:05 PM »

It would be REALLY nice if ME7L or the NEFMOTO logger could be hacked to transmit to a network socket

This is very easy to do actually. But not sure why it's needed as you might as well read from the command line on the fly Wink

PM's will not be answered, so don't even try.
Log your car properly.
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #78 on: February 22, 2013, 05:31:35 PM »

This is very easy to do actually. But not sure why it's needed as you might as well read from the command line on the fly Wink

Yea, I wrote a script that "tail"s me7l into netcat but it is pretty flaky under cygwin.

Would be better to run ME7L natively under linux with a named pipe, but I dont have a linux laptop handy.

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
littco

« Reply #79 on: February 23, 2013, 02:11:45 AM »

Hi Dave

Thanks for taking the time to come on here and help.

I have a few .adx files I've created that I plan on posting,mainly to give an idea of what "could be done" but its really on relevant to individual ecus as the address change from version to version, unfortunately not all me7 ecus are the same, but just like individual xdf files I'm sure in time adx files could be produce very easily. We have all the tools already to get all the info to fill in the blanks in the ADX files and it is a pretty straight forward job of setting them up.

I think , as has already been discussed there are some pretty great tools available for logging already however the ability to data trace would in my mind be a fundemental essential to making the RR truely awesome.

I have been talking to mark ( TP author) quite a bit about this and he seems to think it is possible, its just a question if how. There exists already an ELM327 plugin for TP to allow data tracing but whether this works or not I'll find out soon when my cable arrives. From research I'm not convinced it will but I know soon enough.

Now for anyone that's not familiar. In your ADX file, you create a variable which uses the memory address , conversion etc. you can then assign that to an axis in your xdf or use it in theory to create a gauge or log . Obviously the connection between TP and the Ecu is the sticking point at present and way above my head! I don't know if there is anyway to create a plugin similar to the elm327 one available but for the vagcom cable instead?

Hopefully this week I'll get a full how to guide up with pictures etc . I have a copy of the new TP with 8 and 16bit emulation support, if anyone would like a copy then please drop me a PM. I'm a little reluctant at present to post as this is still Beta and if it gets put in the domain and someone tries to use with anything other than me7 it might not work.

Just to add setting the Ecu in"test" by making the appropriate changes in the EEPROM has worked brilliantly for not chksumming whilst emulating.
littco

« Reply #80 on: February 23, 2013, 02:17:03 AM »

Thanks Dave and Dan(littco?) for the updates, I am one happy person to se this coming true  Smiley

Unfortunatly my car is my daily used car, otherwise I would probably get on and help beta testing this out.

Is there any other way I can contribute? I have some basic disassembly skills regarding ME7.x if thats to any help.

Mine is in my car permantly now, just a lead running into the cockpit . With the new adaptor board on the me7.5 you can close the lid fully without the risk of water ingestion onto the board, assuming you seal where the cable comes out ok.

The only issue I've had, which I think prj had as well was the car initially cut out once or twice, it was down to the boards vibrating in the casing. I fixed this by adding rubber mounts to the boards to take the shocks..

Also I've had to add a thin sheet on the top of the case on the inside to protect against the boards shorting on the casing as its pretty tight. A thin piece of foam sheet glued on seems to work well.

ibizacupra

« Reply #81 on: February 23, 2013, 10:07:41 AM »

great progress Dan + moats guys

If you are an ols user, and have built up a nice set of assorted ols files for ecu's I tune, what would bridge someone like me to emulate with this and tuner pro.. Not being an active user of it, and not having any xdf's for it.  Bridge the gap for an ols user to use TP/Moates without having to re do a lot of invested time porting ols's.  Whats the solution here?

littco

« Reply #82 on: February 23, 2013, 10:24:33 AM »

great progress Dan + moats guys

If you are an ols user, and have built up a nice set of assorted ols files for ecu's I tune, what would bridge someone like me to emulate with this and tuner pro.. Not being an active user of it, and not having any xdf's for it.  Bridge the gap for an ols user to use TP/Moates without having to re do a lot of invested time porting ols's.  Whats the solution here?

Easiest way is to use emutility which is small program (free) which can be setup up to "monitor" a file and update the emulator in real time with any changes made to a map.

For instance, you have it all setup, road road installed in the Ecu on the car and running on the dyno , then emutility set to monitor the base file you currently have loaded in winols. You do a run and decide say kfldrl needs adjusting so make a change in your map in winols, when you then save that map and it check sums, emutility senses that change in the map and updates the RR automatically whilst engine is running etc. you can continue like this until your happy. Very easy but unlike TP and emulation you need to click save rather than it doing it without prompting.  If you set up a short cut key in winols to save it pretty straight forward. You can of course do a Save As along the way to save individual versions.

I think though I have pretty complete xdfs now for the ECU's you use
Bische

« Reply #83 on: March 20, 2013, 01:36:09 PM »

Anymore updates on this?

Im ready to go Smiley
NOTORIOUS VR
Administrator

« Reply #84 on: March 20, 2013, 09:35:07 PM »

^^ x2 Smiley

SCHNELL ENGINEERING BLOG ·  STANDALONE ECUS · TUNING · DYNO · WIRING · PARTS · VEMS
Google Talk: NOTORIOUS.VR
n00bs start here: http://s4wiki.com/wiki/Tuning
phila_dot

« Reply #85 on: March 21, 2013, 04:40:43 AM »

x3
Bische

« Reply #86 on: March 21, 2013, 04:49:32 AM »

I emailed Dave and asked if they have setups available.
NOTORIOUS VR
Administrator

« Reply #87 on: March 21, 2013, 05:47:46 AM »

If any one of the current beta users would make a short little video showing it in action that would be sweet too! Smiley

SCHNELL ENGINEERING BLOG ·  STANDALONE ECUS · TUNING · DYNO · WIRING · PARTS · VEMS
Google Talk: NOTORIOUS.VR
n00bs start here: http://s4wiki.com/wiki/Tuning
phila_dot

« Reply #88 on: March 21, 2013, 06:02:38 AM »

I'm curious if data tracing is working.

If not, what needs to be done to get it working?
littco

« Reply #89 on: March 21, 2013, 09:14:37 AM »

I'm curious if data tracing is working.

If not, what needs to be done to get it working?

Hi guys.

Sorry, partly its my fault as had so much going on I've not had a chance to reasly up date. Roadrunner and me7.5 is now fully compatible. The designed adaptor board functions as it should and the byte swap on it now allows tunerpro to emulate both 8 and 16 bit maps in real time. I have a beta copy of tunerpro solely for nef users which isn't available directly on the tunerpro website as Mark can not provide full technical support as he does for the other versions. Its free but has the 10second delay on startup but a license will clear that. I'd suggest people using pay the license as a thankyou to mark. If anyone has any issues then can you direct them through me as I can collect and pass on to him when needed.
As for the emulator, I need to let Craig know that the boards are good for the me7.5 . Perfect allows case to close and data come out of the vacuum port on the rear if needed. It works on the me7 directly but needs the Edian swap patch and emutility, it would be very easy to get Craig to redesign the me7.5 for the me7.1 on the s4 as I know the 29f chip is located differently but I don't have access to one to assist in this.

Data tracing is still a sticking point. It was originally designed to use with elm327 and its generic pids used on code readers, but we can not get it to work and elm327 in my option is crap for our needs so wouldn't be much use.

Prj mentioned a simple driver plugin would facilitate all this for us on tunerpro using the me7 logger as a base and then parsing the info over, we need to develop this further but is well beyond my means completely! Mark is looking into the data tracing but tbh due to actual work ;-) kids and general life its been on the back burner.

But my TT has been and was running with the emulator plugged in and left in for the last 2 months and never an issue. If I need to make a change, fire up the lap, plug in the cable , start tp make the change and drive. 1minute max...

I'll get a video, simple way to demonstrate is too adjust idle in live time whilst sitting in the back ;-)
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 14
  Print  

Jump to: