Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
Author Topic: LPG tuning  (Read 43187 times)
prj

« Reply #60 on: June 02, 2022, 03:04:31 PM »

Well, I didnt want to say that but thr car was previosly on dyno, without advanced ignition for lpg. It made 7hp and 15nm less than on gasoline. I think thats a good result for gasoline ignition, considering the fact, that for the same lambda lpg is 6% less to burn than gasoline.
Not my experience, I have had multiple LPG cars on dyno and the difference was much more than 7 hp for me.
I did the first cars with LPG and mapswitching over 10 years ago I think on old 2.2T ecu.

Even if they are, prj used it as a confirmation of what he said.
I did not. I used it as an illustration that LPG burn rate is more susceptible to lambda change than gasoline, nothing else.

But hey, as I said. Do whatever you want. I stopped calibration 2 years ago, it's not relevant for me anymore.
All I can do here is give advice based on my previous experience, which most likely has a sample size that is a magnitude larger than yours, since I did this professionally for a long time.

Thats my 4th car with lpg, previous ones were 1.8t and none of them got valvetrain damaged, even if i made each of them 100-150kkm…
You probably didn't drive them with stock ecu map WOT or the LPG switched to gasoline at WOT.
If you drive 1.8T with stock mapping and especially those that have ATR active at WOT on LPG you will damage the engine.

If you set up KFDZWKG correctly, then that's already 90% of the problem solved, the other thing is limiting ATR target leaner.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2022, 03:10:11 PM by prj » Logged

PM's will not be answered, so don't even try.
Log your car properly.
BlackRazor

« Reply #61 on: October 10, 2022, 03:09:17 PM »

Hi prj. I've read all of your posts related to LPG tuning on NefMoto. I have a question to you related to a (future) LPG installation.

The car in question is a 2002 Fiat Stilo 1.6 16v 103ps (1596cc, 182b6000, last gen of Fiat SOHC engine block, with a DOHC 16v valvetrain). When new, these cars could hit 113hp at flywheel. I don't know how mine holds but, it can hit easily 205kmh (GPS tested, straight line) with 2 people and 100kg of stuff in the boot. So I suppose pretty close to that.

I bought it used at 300.600km from the countryside of Greece. Right now it sees tons of city stop-go traffic in Athens and with fuel prices heading to almost 2eur/Liter I would get an ROI in less than 8000km (LPG 0.86eur-0.92eur per liter). I also do long highway trips of 300+km every 3 months or so.

In Greece the auto LPG mixture is 80-20 (Butane+Propane) with slight variations towards 70-30 in some cases.

I know many people have used LPG in this engine and it has last over 360.000km of city driving with proper maintenance. The ECU is a Marelli IAW 5NF.T9 that uses a MAP sensor.

Now the question is: should I invest +200eur to get a kit with a EuropeGas ECU that can also dual inject petrol (up to 50%) in high load scenarios? Bear in mind that the better LPG kit also has Hana injectors which are very fast won't create issues with idle etc. I don't know if cheap LPG ECUs can handle the ignition advance separately but I think that something that is needed to achieve good fuel consumption using LPG AFAIK.

Or should I get just a basic quality LPG kit and tune it all the way to the redline (7100 rpm rev limit) using ONLY LPG? Should I always target the lean best torque AFR? And maximum lambda 0.92? Stoichiometric should be close to 15.5:1 for our LPG mixture.

I want to say that I plan to keep the car for at least 4 more years. In any case, these Fiat engine did not have issues with head gaskets as they mostly had oil consumption issues. Mine burns around 180ml/1000km (a quart per 3200 miles) with low quality 5w40 oil and I plan for a good 5w50 next change to see how it helps. In any case, the LPG conversion will pay itself, even if the engine eventually breaks down (which can also happen using petrol btw).

Thanks!
« Last Edit: October 10, 2022, 03:53:20 PM by BlackRazor » Logged
kacperoooni

« Reply #62 on: April 14, 2024, 02:49:35 PM »

After 4 years and 140k km on lpg with k04 engine still generates the same power (just dynoed). Valvatrain seems to be ok too. Just sayin Smiley
quattro85

« Reply #63 on: April 15, 2024, 01:37:55 PM »

What is your WOT lambda and ignition advance?
If it is close to 0.77 lambda, then probably you never made just a few WOT runs during those 140K kilometers.

There is a simple thing that make the things goes wrong - if ME7 (or any petrol ECU), decide to keep EGTs low it inject more fuel, for a simple reason that this unburnt fuel will evaporate taking thermal energy from combustion chamber or/and exhaust manifold.
So more fuel = less EGT.

However lpg is already evaporated when injected, so instead of cooling down - it getting hotter.

ECU thinks it is hot - let's cool it down => put more fuel... ufff it is still hot => then put MOOOORE fuel... Aghhhh it is really hot here!
prj

« Reply #64 on: April 15, 2024, 01:47:36 PM »

I mean technically the further you get away from Stoich the lower the EGT is.
But injecting tons of LPG really does a number on the flame front speed, so without a ton of extra advance you get LPG burning at the exhaust valves, which causes premature failure.

Simply put, the normal strategy for temperature control on gasoline does not work well for LPG.

PM's will not be answered, so don't even try.
Log your car properly.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
  Print  

Jump to: