Pages: [1]
Author Topic: ECU Adaptation Issues | ALH 1.9T EDC15 into 1.8T GLX ME7.5 Chassis  (Read 14590 times)
Deebeaux

Seems like my 2nd post here is going to be a long one and a doozie. Sorry about that.

We've got a 2003 1.8T Jetta GLX Wagon that's getting an ALH with a DRW 6-speed. The ALH itself is from an '00, but we've got a '03 Auto TDI ECU and harness. The Auto to Manual conversions have been done to the harness. I retrieved the SKC out of the original 1.8T cluster, which I presume matches the SKC in the ECU that was working with the car. As we don't have the cluster from the 2003 ALH the donor ECU came out of I retrieved the SKC from the 24C04 EPROM in the ECU and confirmed I can log into the ECU. (Login procedure does not produce an error nor a disconnect from VCDS.) With the original 2003 1.8T cluster and 2003 ALH ECU and following Ross Tech's Instructions I get a "System NOT OK" error when entering the old SKC into adaptation channel 50 when I'm supposed to get VIN and IMMO-ID information. Also the new VIN information does not transfer to the new ECU. The error is shown below:

The SKC 2995 (02995 above) is the SKC pulled out of the cluster that was paired with the original 1.8T ECU. It acts like it doesn't accept this as the "previous" ECU when attempting the adaptation.

I do have a few error codes due to some of the items not being swapped or wired yet, but the only pertinent one in the instruments is Unauthorized Engine ECU. The Engine ECU doesn't have any errors pertaining to immobilizer  or instruments.

Here's the VIN and IMMO-ID from the donor 2003 ALH ECU:

Here's the VIN and IMMO-ID from the original 1.8T cluster (VIN/IMMO-ID hidden):

Just not sure where to go from here. We've also got an FIS cluster that needs to get swapped in, but I presume I cannot swap a cluster and an ECU at the same time due to the need to pass the Immo-ID from Cluster to ECU and then from ECU back to new cluster in multi steps. We'd rather not disable the immobilizer.

Hopefully it's just something we missed. I've got a wide variety of tools at my disposal: VCDS HEX-CAN-USB, VAG TACHO 2.5 & 3.01, An EPROM reader capable of reading 24C04/95040 chips (and others), and probably could get NefMoto's software working with my VCDS cable if necessary.

I had to desolder the 24C04 from the EDC15 ECU to read it. My clip was not cooperating, but it read fine off the board. I can login using the retrieved SKC. I do need to find a clip that's reliable (Pomona 5250 is on the way) to make this easier in the future. Can the 24C04 IMMO chip be read via OBD or bench on the EDC15? Do I need to get information out of the ME7.5 ECU that I haven't already obtained? Not sure where to go from here. We'd like to retain immo functionality on this vehicle.

One theory that's been offered so far is the Diesel ECU will not adapter to a gasser cluster and to copy my immo information from my gasser cluster to my diesel one, but I'm not entire sure what I need to transfer? Just VIN/IMMO-ID/Checksums?

Any advice is appreciated. I can provide any additional information if necessary.
ta79pr

« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2013, 09:32:41 PM »

I am stuck with the same thing. I am doing a BEW (EDC16) into a TT.
Did you ever figure anything out?

02 TT tdi (BEW)
2005 allroad 2.7tM (BEL)
terok

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2013, 01:56:28 PM »

Is CAN-bus connected correctly? System not OK refers to cluster not being able to communicate with ecu.
ta79pr

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2013, 01:59:33 PM »

I have checked my diagrams and connections over and over. The cluster shows this DTC:
"01177 - Engine Control Unit
        65-10 - Unauthorized - Intermittent"

02 TT tdi (BEW)
2005 allroad 2.7tM (BEL)
Deebeaux

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2013, 04:09:37 PM »

CAN should be connected correctly as the chassis and donor harness/ecu are both 2003. We've been digging through a myriad of electrical issues and we're down to one. G68 Engine Speed Sensor is not communicating. Wiring is OK, sensor checks out OK in terms of resistance spec, but signal isn't getting to ECU. We're attempting to fire the car on a 2003 ECU that I've Immo-Off'd (De-Immo'd? Whatever.) I am no longer seeing Unauthorized ECU in my list of DTCs so I think we've got a harness or sensor issue preventing the start. I'm getting crank, but no run. Any additional advice on checking if CAN is functioning properly?

We also got our hands on a virgin EDC15 ECU at a reasonable price and I want to read the 24C04 chip on it before we adapt it, but the reader I have doesn't want to read it in circuit. This would allow me to have a virgin dump from an EDC15VM+ ECU for the immo chip, which I have not been able to put my hands on yet. I tried comparing the virgin 95040 files, but am not able to make enough sense to it to apply the same logic to an EDC15 24C04 dump. I'm considering the purchase of a USB Willem in hopes I can read the virgin immo chip without unsoldering it from the board. It's not that I'm not capable of it, it's just I'd rather not damage this virgin ECU in anyway as a result of some unforeseen incident. I've got a Minipro now, which reads/writes beautifully to the 24C04 with it off the board, but it won't read in-line. Also have a Pomona 5250 SOIC8 clip, some EZ-HOOK micro pincers, and a stack of .025 square pin jumpers. No matter what we try the Minipro won't read the 24C04 in circuit.

Any recommendations are always welcome.

Also, my buddy is on the way over to my shop right now with the de-immo'd ECU and we're going to try and start my car on it. I've got an '03 TDI Golf that came that way from the factory and I drive it every day, so we know there's no harness issues. Hopefully Murphy doesn't show up and render my daily undriveable. lol.
Deebeaux

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2013, 05:15:32 PM »

Well, my buddy just came by with the de-immo'd ECU that I flashed for him and it starts and runs my 2003 Golf without issue. So the suspect is definitely the harness in his car.
ta79pr

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2013, 05:18:34 PM »

can you scan the can-gateway (#19)?
if not, is that supposed to be scannable?

02 TT tdi (BEW)
2005 allroad 2.7tM (BEL)
terok

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2013, 02:22:37 PM »

Golf/Jetta/Bora CAN-clusters (1jx 920 xxx) do have gateway integrated.
Your CAN-bus is propably fine if you're not getting any communication related codes. 1J-platform cars usually have CAN terminating resistors on ABS and ECU (120 ohm each), so if even one of them is connected, bus works fine.

G68 Engine Speed Sensor is not communicating.

You propably mean G28. You need to check if your current engine hardware and the hardware where the ecu is from, matches. Older engines have different sender wheels on crankshaft. Older have something like 4 teeth, newer have 60-2 teeth. I'm not sure if there are any EDC15 with 60-2, or can there be different 4 teeth wheels.
Immo does not indeed prevent start itself. It only shuts engine off after 1-2 seconds.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 02:27:04 PM by terok » Logged
Deebeaux

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2013, 08:30:38 PM »

Yes, it's G28. I typo'd the sensor number.

We've tried with multiple clusters, yes the CAN gateway is integrated. Not getting communication errors with relation to CAN. I'm very familiar with the clusters in the MKIV TDIs, but this is my first delve into ECU work. Although I've been meaning to get into it...no time like the present, eh?

I'm almost certain my buddy's harness he got is suspect. He's got another coming so hopefully we'll be more on our way to diagnostic stuff. I'm confident the ECU and my immo-off tweaks work because it fires my car and runs without issue (and without any adaptation whatsoever).

I didn't think about the tone wheel on the crankshaft. The engine is out of a 2000, but the ECU/harness/chassis are all 2003. I wonder if that'll be an issue. We were getting the code before cranking, I assumed bad wiring or faulty sensor. We traced out wiring which checked OK and sensor resistance check is OK. It's just a hall effect sensor from what I gather, not something complicated.

I think I'm going to pickup a GQ-3X for reading (and possible writing) to 24C04 immo chips in the EDC15VM+ ECU without having to desolder. I've heard some people have issues with the GQ-4X reading/writing in circuit, but must seem to be able to accomplish it with the 3X. This won't solve our electrical issues, but it'll give me a virgin 24C04 out of an off the shelf new ECU my buddy acquired.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 08:32:47 PM by Deebeaux » Logged
ddillenger

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2013, 08:32:27 PM »

I've never had an issue with my gq4x reading/writing in circuit, and if there was an issue, it wouldn't be programmer specific. Some you may just have to desolder.

Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience!

Email/Google chat:
DDillenger84(at)gmail(dot)com

Email>PM
Deebeaux

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2013, 08:39:00 PM »

Hot air station is also on the list of things to get. They've finally become ridiculously affordable. I've got a TL866 MiniPro that I've used for programming various Atmels and it reads the 24C04 fine, but it won't read it in circuit on the EDC15VM+. I've seen several members post on these forums stating they can read their 24C04 and 95040 chips in circuit. The Willem is commonly mentioned as the reader they used. I was making the assumption that my MiniPro just wasn't up to the task. I know it's not as common or well known as a 3X or 4X, but it's never been any trouble for me. I typically only fool with EDC15 ECUs, not ME7.5s, and am searching for a reliable solution to read the immo chips for SKC retrieval and the occasional immo-off.

I've never had an issue with my gq4x reading/writing in circuit, and if there was an issue, it wouldn't be programmer specific. Some you may just have to desolder.
terok

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2013, 06:21:08 PM »

I confirmed that ALH engine starting from year 1999 has VR-sensor (not Hall-effect) on crankshaft, and sender wheel has 4 holes. Wiring as follows:
Pin1 -> ecu pin 102
Pin2 -> ecu pin 110
Pin3 -> ecu pin 86 (shared sensor ground, cable screen only)
MK2-VRT

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2013, 06:31:48 AM »

What say measeringblock 022 - 023 and 024 in 17-Instruments ??

Read the 24C en 93/95 with UPA prog and desolder the eeprom.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: