Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Cylinders 4 & 5 Ignition Circuit Open *2.7T*  (Read 5458 times)
AudiMan85

« on: April 16, 2015, 06:06:08 PM »

Ok, I did the coil swap to push on coils on my 2.7T A6. The coil swap has been fine for last year or so. Stage 2 tune by Daz.
No misfires codes etc.

I got the codes for open circuit on cylinders 4&5 and flashing misfire on cylinders 5 only. Today I went thru my ICM delete wiring and changed from butt connectors and soldered and shrink tubed the wires hoping my problem was there. I have swapped coils around and problem stayed on 4 &5. Feels fine underboost, pulls ok, tuned for w/m 50/50 running straight water so idk if that's the slightly less power.

When I wired the coil plugs/connections I soldered the 2 grounds to the one ground on the 5 wire harness. I know cyl. 4 only has one ground. Should I run a 2,3,5,6 separate ground to valve cover like the 1.8Ts? Or should I just check my wiring on 4 & 5 coils. Just looking for input before I go into the wiring. Not much length to the stock wires to be cutting and redoing. There all soldered and shrink wrapped and taped up. I thought ICM wires since it effects more then one set of coils.

Also, at idle there is not codes on vcds. Once I revv the engine and check I cyl.5 and if I revv higher or drive a code will show up quickly for 4 & 5. None at idle tho.

Thanks in advance.

I'd provide a log but letting car cool off so I can go thru wires if it seems like it's the issue. Boost and pulls fine.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 07:53:49 PM by AudiMan85 » Logged

"Ride like I got a horse stable under my hood" ~ The Game - Too Much
ddillenger

« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2015, 06:12:37 PM »

You cannot run straight water if tuned for meth. You are removing fuel under wide open conditions. You must continue to run the mixture as intended.

Probably not your issue, but still worth noting.

Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience!

Email/Google chat:
DDillenger84(at)gmail(dot)com

Email>PM
AudiMan85

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2015, 07:03:01 PM »

Ok. I will put the 50/50 mix back in. I was trying to save money for a little bit, I don't get on it hard.

Daz do u think its wiring at coils? I have to run out to store I'll log and post when I get back. I'll do a free revv log and a short pull log. Maybe you'll see something I don't in the data.

ddillenger

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2015, 07:08:41 PM »

Hard to say. Compression test and smoke test would be on my TODO list. That and making sure all the intake bolts are there.

Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience!

Email/Google chat:
DDillenger84(at)gmail(dot)com

Email>PM
AudiMan85

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2015, 08:01:39 PM »

Sorry, I was wrong about the code. Here is what I got. At 1st the CEL doesnt come on til a few miles after clearing it and these are the only codes.

17775 - Cylinder 5 Ignition Circuit
            P1367 - 35-00 - Open Circuit
17772 - Cylinder 4 Ignition Circuit
            P1364 - 35-00 - Open Circuit

Daz, you said to check the intake bolts. The ones that hold the IM to the heads? I will get a smoke test kit, never invested in one. I can compression test hopefully, I only can find the one threaded end for my gauge I guess I lost the other ends since I never used them over the years just same one been on it since I bought it so hopefully its the correct size and pitch.

**Also a side note, I had my battery go bad last week, one of 6 cells failed, got a new battery. A few days prior I seafoamed the car and also I ran 1.5qts low on oil. I also pumped out and replaced the front and center diff fluids (01V - Tiptronic/AT) Just figured I'd say what else has been a issue or been worked on within past few weeks/month.**

Free Rev log attached
« Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 08:50:17 PM by AudiMan85 » Logged

AudiMan85

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2015, 08:12:29 PM »

2 thing's resolved my problem.

1. A lose wire on a pin, it pulled out of connector. De-pinned and repair pin installed cleared up coil on cyl. #4 and then I made sure the rest of the pins on coils 4 n 5 where removed and squeezed closed tighter.

2. I used alittle dielectric grease on connectors.

No more codes or misfires so far. Coil plugs where new off amazon and came with pigtails. I see they use very little wire to close/clamp into Pins. So if anyone orders the connector repair kits with the think gauged brown and black wires might wanna just order the repair kit without pigtails cause out of 8 pins 3 were close to falling out. I will go thru others after I order a bunch of pins off the internet cause I just used a pin out of a broke MAF plug/connector.

vwaudiguy

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2015, 08:16:59 PM »

Thanks for the update.

"If you have a chinese turbo, that you are worried is going to blow up when you floor it, then LOL."
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: