Pages: [1]
Author Topic: strategy going from normally aspirated to boosted  (Read 2740 times)
BrianC72mg

« on: June 28, 2014, 11:27:49 AM »

I'm a total noob and just found this site and the amazing resources surrounding it.  I've got a 2000 D2 A8 and then there's this STS-V supercharger sitting on the shelf.....hmmmm   ...so I was wondering when going from NA to boosted what would be the best strategy.  Originally I was planning an AEM FIC piggyback to handle fuel and timing on boost.   But I would love to reflash the stock ECU instead.  I'm thinking at a minimum I'll need a MAP sensor to replace (or supplement) the MAF sensor and a bit of harness hacking.  My question is at the outset, should I be looking for an ECU from a different boosted V8, or could I tell this one to expect to see positive manifold pressure.  Figure I'll never go higher than 12 or maybe 15 psi. I may have to knock down my compression a a point or two as well. What would be the better starting point: utilizing my NA ECU or using one from a boosted Audi V8 application?

To that end, I'm also wondering if I can wipe a spare A8 box, flash an entire RS6 map and then adapt it from there.  The last time I played with this stuff was way back ...oh er...uhmm...15 years ago tuning a GM box for a 3.4 swap into an MGB.  Time to dust off Excel ninja skills.

Also switching the tranny to a 6 speed manual.  The entire project is a few months away...still picking up parts and also rehabbing my new-to-me house...kitchen almost done...only 3 bathrooms to go.

Thanks in advance,

Brian C.

jackson.amrol@gmail.com

"you sir are an animal"

« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2014, 07:10:16 PM »

I had/have a similar similar goals.. Except mines born on date being 2001.5 40v.

Swap wiring harness to a 2001.5 to run an me7.1.1 ecu(piece of cake)   
Do 6 speed swap (walk in the park)
 Figure 3+ less compression of a stock motor(uhm).
Spend countless hours waiting for RS6 parts to pop up on ebay.
Bug DoubleD with random power wheel pics, and get barred from ever opening another ecu for life..
Sort out cooling nearly 1 bar from a supercharger.
weld up your custom manifold.
Sell everything and buy a 2.7T motor, k04's, few prostitutes, and a set of injectors.

This has been my personal experience, not to say it won't get done eventually.. But it's simply not feasible to achieve it with a mortgage, kids.. For me anyway

Lost, No.. My minds around here somewhere..
Shh, I'm calling my mom.. "It's 3AM" SHH!
Mom, is there such a thing as kosher pork?
"I'm not bailing you out tonight"...
jackson.amrol@gmail.com

"you sir are an animal"

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2014, 07:15:42 PM »

But the best starting point would be a fully defined RS6 base file. Without that, you'll go nowhere.

Lost, No.. My minds around here somewhere..
Shh, I'm calling my mom.. "It's 3AM" SHH!
Mom, is there such a thing as kosher pork?
"I'm not bailing you out tonight"...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: