Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Replica vcds cable questions  (Read 17337 times)
MadCow

« on: April 04, 2013, 03:07:26 PM »

I bought a replica vagcom cable a while ago, all I know is it's labelled VAG908,has a ft232r chip and reading it in ft-prog says it's a ross-tech HEX-USB, although the label looks like it was based off a HEX-CAN cable and was advertised as being compatible with canbus. It came with a hacked version of VCDS 908.1 that always worked better than the typical blue cable/VCDS lite combo. At some point I tried installing an official version of VCDS (stupid I know) and now the serial's wiped. I've never been able to use this cable with vcds lite for whatever reason and it doesn't work at all with nefmoto flasher so I suspect the hardware is slightly different.

First question is, has anyone played around with one of these cables before? I'm searching for a serial that would work but nothing is turning up. It's not sold anymore too so I can't just buy another one, read it and return it. Does anyone have a working serial or the full flash from one of these cables? Is there a hardware difference between the 908, 912, and 10.6 cables? I tend to seem them grouped together. Finally, is there any way to determine if work with CAN apart from actually trying it in a newer car?
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 03:17:15 PM by MadCow » Logged
k0mpresd

« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2013, 03:32:38 PM »

throw that piece of shit in the bin and buy a real one!
sweegie

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2013, 04:10:14 PM »

^^^ This.

Healthy levels of electronics knowledge may be required to get this cable working again. If you're lucky, it may still work with VCDS-lite.
ddillenger

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2013, 04:15:55 PM »

There are a few guides to repairing these cables after vcds bricks them, the package comes with a fresh ept and all. However, I'd just flash a regular EPT to it and use it with vcds lite.

Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience!

Email/Google chat:
DDillenger84(at)gmail(dot)com

Email>PM
Drehkraft

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2013, 05:41:51 PM »

+1 Uwe doesn't take kindly to coping his work!  (Hence the nuked cable)

littco

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2013, 02:41:21 AM »

+1 Uwe doesn't take kindly to coping his work!  (Hence the nuked cable)

Can you not use the software that changes the vcds cable to work on galletto to reset the chip?
k0mpresd

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2013, 08:48:48 AM »

Can you not use the software that changes the vcds cable to work on galletto to reset the chip?

much more involved than that.
ddillenger

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2013, 09:14:35 AM »

much more involved than that.

Yep. There's a recovery kit. They actually nuke the cable. It is fixable, but I wouldn't feel right helping you do it considering the context.

Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience!

Email/Google chat:
DDillenger84(at)gmail(dot)com

Email>PM
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2013, 09:23:13 AM »

IMO VCDS is worth the money.

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
MadCow

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2013, 11:51:51 AM »

If I had the money I'd buy it, but as it stands that cash could be better spent elsewhere. I bought a cheap cable for VCDS lite, I was just hoping to rescue this one instead of throwing it away. I didn't realize this was such a hot topic here, I'll just shut up now.
cyril279

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2013, 12:10:57 PM »

...I was just hoping to rescue this one instead of throwing it away. I didn't realize this was such a hot topic here, I'll just shut up now.

I'm not sure I feel any heat in the room, we're just trying to be sure that you understand that:
-you bought a replica vcds cable, and that's all that it should ever be.
-real vcds cables are not fourteen dollar ft232r cables with a specific EPT, and don't respond well to being manipulated.
-real vcds cables are worth the money if you can spare it.
-most of us that have them, value them.

happy flashing
MadCow

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2013, 01:48:17 PM »

Oh believe me I've very well aware of the drawbacks of replica cables, it just seems to me that people aren't liking the fact that I'm using one. I don't mind dealing with stupid issues like this because the money I saved is well worth it, if I needed to use it often I would definitely consider a real cable.
sweegie

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2013, 03:56:19 PM »

I don't mind dealing with stupid issues like this because the money I saved is well worth it, if I needed to use it often I would definitely consider a real cable.

Really? I'd be pretty unhappy throwing 60 euros down the drain after my cable bricked its self. I fail to see any money saving here!
Drehkraft

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2013, 04:42:40 PM »

IMO VCDS is worth the money.

Agreed.  Been using the same cable for 6 years now.  Well worth every penny.

MadCow

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2013, 07:09:47 AM »

Really? I'd be pretty unhappy throwing 60 euros down the drain after my cable bricked its self. I fail to see any money saving here!

I got at least a good year of use out of it before this happened, and even now it's fixable so I don't mind. I want to build something like an SI-Prog anyway to recover the lock codes off some stock radios I have just sitting around, so I'll be able to flash the cable if it comes to it.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: