Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Linux & Tuning... Is there anybody out there?  (Read 12182 times)
mtx-electronics

« on: May 02, 2011, 07:27:29 AM »

I opened this topic to try and see how many Linux user are out there that would like to have a Linux application to tune their car? I myself have been using Linux for years and keep a windows partition, VirtualBox & Wine installation just for my tuning apps. and I have had just about enough of this cr..p.

I'm working on a lot of ideas and one of these is a free native Linux app. so if you are interested and want to know more here I am.

Attached is the first beta release of the app. Smiley
orienz

« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 11:18:11 AM »

Are you developing this application yourself? I use Linux but only on my servers, tried using it as desktop a few times but I find that I am spending most of my time configuring/fixing it than actually working on stuff so i ditched it. As server OS it's rock-stable and all my servers run some kind of Linux distro but I am looking to move to FreeBSD soon as well.
mtx-electronics

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2011, 11:42:33 AM »

Yes I'm developing it.

When I first started to use Linux it was rough because of config. issues with various devices, etc.. Also formated several times going back and forth between the two os's Sad but in the end I got used to it and as the years went on things were always easier with better hardware compatibility and I found various open apps. that could replace the commercial apps. I was used to using. Today the only reason I keep windows installed is to use my tuning apps.
ElementalVoid

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2011, 05:28:21 PM »

I'm certainly interested. I am a Linux admin and use it for everything I possibly can. I'd love to be able to edit tunes on a Linux box. But, to play devil's advocate, I think that I'll still have to have a windows vm of around for logging. I think most people will tell you the same. Even if you designed an ME7 tuner with builtin logging support I would still need a windows vm to log my innovate chain. Still, to me that would be an overall a win.

Regarding innovate (and others) they do publish their serial protocol specs so an app could be extended to log them, too. That would be awesome.
coreyj03

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2011, 07:35:03 PM »

just started learning linux with some red hat software. ill give it a try Smiley
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2011, 12:59:07 AM »

I opened this topic to try and see how many Linux user are out there that would like to have a Linux application to tune their car?

Me, but only if there is source code available and it is a community driven project.

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
mtx-electronics

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2011, 07:11:43 AM »

Quote from: ElementalVoid
I'm certainly interested. I am a Linux admin and use it for everything I possibly can. I'd love to be able to edit tunes on a Linux box. But, to play devil's advocate, I think that I'll still have to have a windows vm of around for logging. I think most people will tell you the same. Even if you designed an ME7 tuner with builtin logging support I would still need a windows vm to log my innovate chain. Still, to me that would be an overall a win.

Regarding innovate (and others) they do publish their serial protocol specs so an app could be extended to log them, too. That would be awesome.

Keeping a VM installed is always a necessity to try various win apps., etc.. If you wanna flash an ME7 you still need to use NefMoto Wink Unless Tony's up to writing a plugin.

For logging like you said there are open specs. and one could talk with open minded company's to see about getting their specs. when needed.

Quote from: nyet
Me, but only if there is source code available and it is a community driven project.

If there are people seriously interested in contributing I would consider publishing the code with some limitations on the licensing (for example Creative Commons ShareAlike)... But if I'm going to end up doing only the work then might as well keep it for me!

I've had some experience with starting open source projects where there have been 1000's of downloads and not anybody giving any useful feedback or contributions, only someone deriving their own products for profit.

Attached is a screen shot for those that don't have Linux to see what's been done so far.
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2011, 07:31:03 AM »

If there are people seriously interested in contributing I would consider publishing the code with some limitations on the licensing (for example Creative Commons ShareAlike)...

Absolutely. I have no preference for license, as long as i can help code and build my own binaries and redistribute source and/or binaries (free of charge, of course).

I already have a real job as a programmer; i don't need side income from selling other peoples code. I understand your reservations w/r/t people taking your code and selling it! All i can say is, make yours better, and give it away for free, and they'll have tough time competing Smiley

ECUx Plot

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
Tony@NefMoto
Administrator

2001.5 Audi S4 Stage 3

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2011, 11:13:53 AM »

Why not just extend ROMRaider? http://www.romraider.com

It's open source and written in Java.

Remember you have to log in if you want to see the file attachments!
Info or questions, please add to the wiki: http://www.nefariousmotorsports.com/wiki
Follow NefMoto developments on Twitter: http://twitter.com/nefmoto
mtx-electronics

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2011, 11:36:20 AM »

I looked at RomRaider a while back but personally did not consider it much because it is in Java and I am absolutely not Java friendly Sad

Also I don't know how it would be possible to implement plugins for checksum correction & flashing on a Java prog. seeing that it's all VM based and would not be very secure.

Tony@NefMoto
Administrator

2001.5 Audi S4 Stage 3

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2011, 11:57:20 AM »

You could always write your plugin in native code and use JNI to allow Java to call into your plugin code. This is the same way that everyone runs C/C++ apps on Android which is Java based.

Remember you have to log in if you want to see the file attachments!
Info or questions, please add to the wiki: http://www.nefariousmotorsports.com/wiki
Follow NefMoto developments on Twitter: http://twitter.com/nefmoto
mtx-electronics

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2011, 12:08:37 PM »

Ok, that's possible. So my only problem would be having to learn Java to be able to make the necessary changes to the RomRaider code to add extra features, etc...
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2011, 11:30:35 AM »

Why not just extend ROMRaider? http://www.romraider.com

It's open source and written in Java.

interesting link! thanks

ECUx Plot

mtx-electronics

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2011, 04:51:23 PM »

You know the thing I really don't like about any of the free tuning software I've found so far is the missing ability to edit/view bin files in 2D with a complete set of functions that allow you to select maps on 2D and create/edit definition files from the 2D.

Don't jet me wrong I fully understand this concept for the DIY tuner that does not know what 2D or HEX are and just wants to change values in a table with any possibility to screw up.. and even when he does make a definitions file he will most likely only make one for his car in his entire life...
...but this is absolutely not usable/plausible for even a semi prof. garage that deals with diffent cars every day and needs tools to make new defs. and/or modify existing defs. on a daily basis.
mtx-electronics

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2011, 05:10:30 PM »

P.S. Attached is an updated copy of the linux app. and as a treat I cross compiled a win32 version and bundled it in the same archive so now window'z users can check it out too.

I've got a little code cleaning up & commenting to do and then I can decide what type of license to use for releasing the code before I start work on the next major updates which will be some extra feature for the table editor with mainly have to do with difference viewing between BIN's, 2D/3D charting and plugin support.

If there is anybody that would like to contribute once the source is available please contact me, besides coding there are other usefull things that can be done like icons for the menubar, toolbar, etc.., documentation and many other things...

P.S.S. If there is anybody that uses MAC OSX out there it would be nice to also see about getting a version out for it. I don't expect there to be any difficulties because code is very cross compile friendly.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: