Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Noob here Flash question  (Read 5345 times)
staycute
« on: March 24, 2013, 09:14:37 PM »

My cousin just bought a s4 which apparently has an apr stage 2. I can read the ecu no problem so i'm skeptical of it being flashed at all. Didn't drive the car to find out if it feels flashed. I'm reading the forums and i see that the apr chip can be soldered to the eeprom? He wants to make sure it is stock. Would flashing it with a stock file be possibly dangerous? I have the read file from the ecu i'll post it up in a bit, im on the desktop now. Any help will be apprieciated. 
staycute
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2013, 09:19:43 PM »

My cousin just bought a s4 which apparently has an apr stage 2. I can read the ecu no problem so i'm skeptical of it being flashed at all. Didn't drive the car to find out if it feels flashed. I'm reading the forums and i see that the apr chip can be soldered to the eeprom? He wants to make sure it is stock. Would flashing it with a stock file be possibly dangerous? I have the read file from the ecu i'll post it up in a bit, im on the desktop now. Any help will be apprieciated. 

Heres the dump. Im looking into this file with a stock file from here.
aysix

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2013, 11:33:22 PM »

That ecu likely doesn't have a soldered in unit if it is APR. GIAC loved to do that it seems. Just make sure you are prepared to recover if things go south.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 11:53:43 PM by aysix » Logged

Silly Rabbit 6 speed A6
ddillenger

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2013, 11:54:45 PM »

That ecu likely doesn't have a soldered in unit if it is APR. Probably OK to flash a file. GIAC on the other hand seems to like embedding their own chip.

I'd say the opposite. Most APR flashes prevent reading, but I've had a lot of luck reading the physically chipped units. That, and given the age of that file (November 7th, 2002 was the last revision), I'd say chipped as opposed to flashed is likely.

In any event, try to write a file. If it's chipped, it'll fail before even starting. That, or just open the ecu.

I know I posted in this thread before with a similar point, but it looks to have disappeared. Check out 0xFEFA0 in the hex, and you'll find this:

Revision Date 07 NOV 2002  **** Code Changes Copyright (c) 2000 Audi Performance And Racing ****

Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience!

Email/Google chat:
DDillenger84(at)gmail(dot)com

Email>PM
staycute
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2013, 06:49:15 AM »

Alright, thanks. I have compared it with a stock file and they have the same values and what not. I'll look for your post. So question, if I would write the stock file to it and it was physically chipped then it wouldn't let me? I would assume it would do the same with a flashed ecu correct?
ddillenger

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2013, 07:46:51 AM »

Alright, thanks. I have compared it with a stock file and they have the same values and what not. I'll look for your post. So question, if I would write the stock file to it and it was physically chipped then it wouldn't let me? I would assume it would do the same with a flashed ecu correct?

A flashed file you could write over without a problem. Chipped, it would fail.

Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience!

Email/Google chat:
DDillenger84(at)gmail(dot)com

Email>PM
staycute
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2013, 07:50:23 AM »

Alright, i'll give that a try. If anything goes bad while the flash, i would have to reflash through boot mode correct? I have read it and have the file that is on the car now.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: