Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Could somebody give this the once over, please!?  (Read 7032 times)
RelentlessDan

« on: December 15, 2015, 01:46:36 PM »

OK, so with some help from a couple of forum members, a lot of reading of the S4Wiki and a lot of spare time, I have finally started to begin my tuning adventure.

I've taken my boring stage 1 map (which didn't account for my FMIC), and compared it to a friends stage 2 map (which did), but was pretty poorly written unfortunately.

I've then created my own hybrid file (attached, along with the KP file too Smiley) of them both, and upgraded to 4 bar fuelling. I modified the standard file, so there would be no cross flashing involved.

I've put many hours into this file and I think it might finally be ready... I'm happy with the timing, engine load, fuelling, diagnostics, blah blah. I'm 99% certain that I'm ready to flash.

However, before I give it the flash, could someone quickly just check it over for me please? If you could just double check my work and make sure I haven't done anything stupid, that'd be amazing. Also - WinOLS, Me7Check and Me7Sum all say there are no checksum errors. But if somebody could check with MPPS or another piece of software that would be awesome and I'd be eternally grateful. I may even buy you a beer when I get paid!!

I have a bench harness made up in case it all goes wrong. And I'm going to backup my EEPROM using argdubs tool from within the car, before the flash, so I should be able to rescue it. But I'd rather avoid the hassle of fixing a broken car if I can!

Merry Christmas & a Happy New Year!
adam-

« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2015, 02:04:50 PM »

Rear O2 isn't disabled in ESKONF.
Tank vent isn't disabled in ESKONF.
SAI relay isn't disabled in ESKONF.
N249 isn't disabled in ESKONF.
N112 isn't disabled in ESKONF.

I'm assuming you've done the usual 1.8t mods; btw.

How are you controlling fueling?  Using LAMFA or KFFDLBTS?  Because KFFDLBTS is set at 400C; so will be active all the time, and it's wrong if you're using that. Set it to 1 and run with KFLBTS as your fueling table.

Why is KFLDHBN maxed?
Why is KFTARX maxed?

Why is KFLDIMX changed?  You've no logs of boost issues.  Similarly, why is DRL changed?

Why is KFMIZUFIL maxed?  Why is KFMIZUOF maxed?

Why is KWZW/KFZW2 upped so much; but you have no logs of cylinder retard?

Other than that, it's fine.  Checksums are good too.  Safe to flash, but a little more understanding of what the maps do is needed.

vwaudiguy

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2015, 02:58:20 PM »

It also looks like there are quite a few areas with changes that aren't mapped using your .kp I'm not quite sure why?

"If you have a chinese turbo, that you are worried is going to blow up when you floor it, then LOL."
RelentlessDan

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2015, 03:06:35 PM »

Rear O2 isn't disabled in ESKONF.
Tank vent isn't disabled in ESKONF.
SAI relay isn't disabled in ESKONF.
N249 isn't disabled in ESKONF.
N112 isn't disabled in ESKONF.

I'm assuming you've done the usual 1.8t mods; btw.

How are you controlling fueling?  Using LAMFA or KFFDLBTS?  Because KFFDLBTS is set at 400C; so will be active all the time, and it's wrong if you're using that. Set it to 1 and run with KFLBTS as your fueling table.

Why is KFLDHBN maxed?
Why is KFTARX maxed?

Why is KFLDIMX changed?  You've no logs of boost issues.  Similarly, why is DRL changed?

Why is KFMIZUFIL maxed?  Why is KFMIZUOF maxed?

Why is KWZW/KFZW2 upped so much; but you have no logs of cylinder retard?

Other than that, it's fine.  Checksums are good too.  Safe to flash, but a little more understanding of what the maps do is needed.

Wow. That is really helpful, thank you. You're right, more understanding is definitely needed, but I am getting there - albeit slowly. I thought I had started to truly understand it but your reply has made me realise I still have a long way to go.

Mods include Twin Pass FMIC, 4 bar fuelling, Forge TIP, 007P DV, VR6 Clutch, G60 Flywheel, 2.0 TFSI coils, SAI/N249/N112 deletes... The usual stuff.

ESKONF - Bit of a cock up on my part there and just forgot to set it. Have subsequently fixed that and disabled SAI, rear O2, and the N249/112. Thanks for spotting it. However, do I need to disable the tank vent, if I have not removed the N80? For now I have left this as 00.

I was controlling using KFFDLBTS, but now I've confused myself completely. What should I do with LAMFA, if I run KFLBTS as my fuelling table? Keep it as original?

KFLDHBN - with UK altitudes never altering, I assumed it was safe to max this one? Have I gone totally mad here? Huh
KFTARX - I maxed this in the theory that my FMIC would keep temperatures low, and I could take logs and adjust if necessary at a later date, but for now I should be OK. Was this stupid of me?

With regards to these two maps, what's the best way to work out what they should be?

KFLDIMX is totally wrong, you are right. I have blindly kept this from my original map just to be safe. Am I OK to set to set this to the standard values from the original map, and tweak once I've got logs? I'm aware that the ECU itself adapts these values too, correct?

Should I also be setting KFZW/KFZW2 to the original values for now? I kept them at my stage 1 values, in the theory they would provide some protection for my upgrade to stage 2, where I'd need to tweak them even more.

KFMIZUFIL and KFMIZUOF were maxed to disable torque monitoring, so that I could set KFMIRL without adjusting KFMIOP because I can't find that map. Might be stupid but I read about it here: http://nefariousmotorsports.com/forum/index.php?topic=970.0. Lazy tuning I know, but it should work, right?!

Adam, I really do appreciate your help - you have taught me a lot so far already. If you get a spare five minutes could you advise me on what you would expect me to do with the maps mentioned above? I want to make sure my first tune is at least fundamentally sound... I can work on the refinements later, but maxing stuff out willy nilly probably isn't the right way to be doing it, you're right.

Thanks again.
RelentlessDan

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2015, 03:09:01 PM »

It also looks like there are quite a few areas with changes that aren't mapped using your .kp I'm not quite sure why?

How do you know that?

I'm so bloody confused by the amount of .bin files I have on my computer now. I've named them all awfully similar things too.

Maybe I need to start a fresh, and get this right.

I'm happy with it in general but Adam has shown me there is some serious refinement to be done... Sad
RelentlessDan

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2015, 03:10:56 PM »

My brain hurts. Too many late evenings on this one.
vwaudiguy

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2015, 03:23:33 PM »

How do you know that?

I just loaded both files in WinOLS and applied your .kp
Connect windows, and it shows the differences
I realize some areas might be checksum differences, but I'm familiar with most of the areas that are affected by checksums, and there def looks like a lot more than that.

"If you have a chinese turbo, that you are worried is going to blow up when you floor it, then LOL."
RelentlessDan

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2015, 03:24:56 PM »

Ah. I recently swapped to a new .kp file, and you're right, it seems to be missing a fair amount of the maps (I thought it was actually better than my old kp, oops...).

Try this one.
RelentlessDan

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2015, 03:28:50 PM »

Still a handful of maps missing.  Roll Eyes
RelentlessDan

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2015, 03:38:16 PM »

SUSSED IT.

Stage 1 was a HJ map.

My HJ map pack is far more complete.

I need to start a fresh here, using a HJ map pack and setup. I'll copy over what I've done so far, and ask for more help then... Sorry!!
adam-

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2015, 03:41:12 PM »

Mods include Twin Pass FMIC, 4 bar fuelling, Forge TIP, 007P DV, VR6 Clutch, G60 Flywheel, 2.0 TFSI coils, SAI/N249/N112 deletes... The usual stuff.

ESKONF - Bit of a cock up on my part there and just forgot to set it. Have subsequently fixed that and disabled SAI, rear O2, and the N249/112. Thanks for spotting it. However, do I need to disable the tank vent, if I have not removed the N80? For now I have left this as 00.

That's fine, should be good then.  If the N80 is still there that's fine.  Mine's ripped out though.  Makes no difference.  ESKONF is basically the hardware setup for the engine.

I was controlling using KFFDLBTS, but now I've confused myself completely. What should I do with LAMFA, if I run KFLBTS as my fuelling table? Keep it as original?

LAMFA is the pedal request map; so when you mash the pedal to the floor, it'll follow that (read 100% and along RPM).  That's your fueling at WOT.  My issue with LAMFA is the table resolution is small (very little values to be able to edit).  BTS allows for more resolution, so more fine tuning.  It's preference how you want to tune.

I've got initial LAMFA quite rich, and then holding it.  BTS will take over though (as richest wins in this management), so it'll follow BTS mainly.  Use TABS to adjust the temperature that you want BTS to kick in at.

KFLDHBN - with UK altitudes never altering, I assumed it was safe to max this one? Have I gone totally mad here? Huh
KFTARX - I maxed this in the theory that my FMIC would keep temperatures low, and I could take logs and adjust if necessary at a later date, but for now I should be OK. Was this stupid of me?

That's fine, tune that how you wish.  Mine is the same.  Ideally it should have values in it, but a lot of people will max it anyway.

With regards to these two maps, what's the best way to work out what they should be?
Read, log, adjust, log, adjust, read, log, adjust, ask, read, log, adjust.  Find mountains, adjust, log, find higher mountains.

KFLDIMX is totally wrong, you are right. I have blindly kept this from my original map just to be safe. Am I OK to set to set this to the standard values from the original map, and tweak once I've got logs? I'm aware that the ECU itself adapts these values too, correct?
Leave it as standard as you have a STANDARD turbo, so it SHOULD work fine.  Log boost and find out.

Should I also be setting KFZW/KFZW2 to the original values for now? I kept them at my stage 1 values, in the theory they would provide some protection for my upgrade to stage 2, where I'd need to tweak them even more.
Similarly, log knock and find out.  This is not a set and forget map, it'll need a lot of massaging.

KFMIZUFIL and KFMIZUOF were maxed to disable torque monitoring, so that I could set KFMIRL without adjusting KFMIOP because I can't find that map. Might be stupid but I read about it here: http://nefariousmotorsports.com/forum/index.php?topic=970.0. Lazy tuning I know, but it should work, right?!
Correct.  Understanding is good too.  If IRL/IOP are correct, you WILL NOT get TM.  As you've pointed out though, they are, so you will.  Find IOP.  The only reason you've got all these maps is because I've defined them for you.  It'll take two minutes to find IOP in a documented file (the BAM/TT/mine).  Smiley If you're still struggling, LMK and I'll find more maps for you/Tom/however else on here.
RelentlessDan

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2015, 04:01:11 PM »

You're a star. Thank you.

I've ended up losing myself tonight and drowning myself in bin and kp files. So much that I've confused myself with which file is which, and I've given myself a headache. I'm going to get an early night and look through it again after work tomorrow. I'm tempted to start again completely, every time I redo something I learn much more.

It's made more complicated by the fact I am trying to learn using TL and HJ maps. My HJ map pack seems to be very complete - I am typing this from my phone, but I will attach it tomorrow, for reference. I need to learn to define the maps myself.

I understand your issue with LAMFA resolution and that makes perfect sense. I will follow your lead then, and run the LAMFA quite rich and readjust BTS.

I am pleased that I can just leave the TARX and DHBN at max. It would be nice to add values but I'm not going to worry about it all the time I am only travelling between Hampshire and Hertfordshire haha! It would be a lot of work to find enough mountains.

I need to stop searching for a set and forget map, as you said. It's just not going to happen and that isn't proper tuning anyhow. I guess I want to get it spot on first time... But that simply isn't going to happen!

I'll clear this map up. Maybe start again. Possibly hassle you once more just to give it a quick once over (if that's OK with you?) and then I'll go ahead and flash it. The real learning starts with logs. I need to hurry up and get to that stage.
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2015, 04:35:51 PM »

I would not leave TARX maxed out. It is a CORRECTION MAP. If anything it really be flat at 1 (NOT MAXED) or tapering.

In particular, as IATs get very high, you will want it to oppose FTBR action or you will get a ton of requested boost as IATs go up.

If your requested boost goes over the MAP limit, you are going to be very very sorry. Maxing TARX is a great way to blow up your turbos.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2015, 04:41:03 PM by nyet » Logged

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: