Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: k04 and other mid/big turbos - make it spool faster  (Read 13500 times)
azaiats

« on: May 22, 2012, 05:27:05 AM »

Hi there,

I'm new here and have a 1.8T AUQ engine with a k04/e05 that I'm starting to play with it. I'm just an enthusiast and probably I'll do a lot of mistakes, of course Smiley
But, the subject is: I didn't see nobody here talking about how to make the turbos spool fast, and want to know which approach are you doing for these motors (besides the anti-lag system you all are assembly'ing).

1 - Lean and advance timing in the "spool time"?
2 - Rich and retard timing (like anti-lag) in the "spool time"?

Anything to say about the camshaft angles? Definitions files over here and there (called stage 3) didn't have nothing about camshafts, so I guess nobody or a little few are messing with it...

Please make your considerations about this issue. Let's share some knowledge.

2003 1.8T AUQ @ 06A906032HP - k04/e05 20psi - 317cc @ 4.5fpr - K&N @ stock box - ceramic clutch - 18" tsw wheels @ yoko's 235/45/18 @ eibach lowered springs

deka's 870cc in on the way down... boost wait for me Wink
littco

« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2012, 12:52:12 AM »

Ive been looking into camshaft angles, not specifically for anti lag but just to try and see if it could help with a few surging issues. There are from what I found so far to main maps related to WNWUE which are cam switch over maps. I can't remember exact map names as don't have my laptop with me but they are an rpm/% map, with a output related to cam angle. On my BAM setup these maps are configured in a -18 and -4 value with a switch over, rpm dependant at about 4500rpm which matched up with the can switch over point as logged in me7logger. Now adjusting these maps to either -18 or -4 across the board locks from what I've tested so far, which is limited to the, either overlapped or + overlapped state. It seems a switch on/off 2 state cam over lap. Ive yet to try other values to see if the cam can be set differently but was of the understanding that it's a 2 position cam Vvt switch in affect on/off. Like I say very limited in testing and couldn't really say I noticed anything different but it's Definately something I plan to explore more .

I'm hope if I'm way off the mark here someone can set me straight!
rob.mwpropane

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2012, 02:47:25 AM »

Here's a thread about guys attempting the use of VVT tuning. The only concern I would have is the longevity of the tensioner. Maybe someone knows of a better model? Tbh, I've only read 75% of this thread, just figured it noteworthy.....

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5116947-Who-is-using-VVT-to-make-power

This has nothing to do with cars but you can see my glorifying job at,

www.MWPropane.com
littco

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2012, 06:18:19 AM »

Yeah like you I've read that post and others including the r32 ones.

Personally I was seeing if I could help with surging issues by changing the cam angles at various rpm's , but it was/has been limited. Like you say holding a valve open or closed for long periods is going to shorten its life.

I also know this has been done in the past by others but yet I've found very little info about what was done or how, including specific maps etc so if I've repeated anything then sorry as I know some are very quick to point out when stuffs been done already!

« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 06:23:39 AM by littco » Logged
Aurélien

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2012, 09:23:34 AM »

If you want your turbo to spool fast, you need 2 things : flow and heat.

The more flow you have ( overlap, etc ), the better the spool is.
The hotter are you exhaust gas, the better the spool is.

That being said, you can try to stay at lambda = 1 ( highest EGT ) and remove timing till you get 950°C or so, you will only get a boring engine until you're only using it for drag or such a thing.

Low end torque is much better and important than saving 100/150 rpm of boost threshold !
lulu2003

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2012, 12:30:20 PM »

are you sure that lambda 1 makes hotter EGT than 0.9 (lean best torque)?
I would try with 0.9 in a situation with not enough air....
littco

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2012, 12:33:10 PM »

.9 is rich, 1 is lambda, 1.1 would be lean.
marcellus

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2012, 09:03:14 PM »

I remember my turbo spooling instantly when I got a screwed up base file from Ctapp.  There was a software glitch that made my timing always int the negative values.  The turbo and exhaust would glow from all the heat, and the turbo would spool at almost any throttle input. (anything underhood got burnt up too) This was back when it was 4cyl still.
Aurélien

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2012, 01:24:03 AM »

.9 is rich, 1 is lambda, 1.1 would be lean.

1 is stoeich, not lambda.

Lambda is just a factor telling how much air there is in excess.
Aurélien

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2012, 01:25:36 AM »

are you sure that lambda 1 makes hotter EGT than 0.9 (lean best torque)?
I would try with 0.9 in a situation with not enough air....

Yes.
lambda = 1 is hottest egt possible.

But your engine drive ''much'' better at lambda = 0.9 during spool !
Aurélien

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2012, 01:26:51 AM »

I remember my turbo spooling instantly when I got a screwed up base file from Ctapp.  There was a software glitch that made my timing always int the negative values.  The turbo and exhaust would glow from all the heat, and the turbo would spool at almost any throttle input. (anything underhood got burnt up too) This was back when it was 4cyl still.

Sounds just normal ! Retard = high EGT = high energy availible at the exhaust ! Smiley
jibberjive

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2012, 01:54:17 AM »

I was going to eventually make a similar, about all of the tips and tricks to get the best spool, so I'll be following this.  With regards to the cam phasing, I started a thread about my S4 in this link, though I'm not sure how many of the specific maps carry over to your ECU.

http://nefariousmotorsports.com/forum/index.php?topic=1848.msg17954#msg17954
littco

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2012, 03:44:58 AM »

1 is stoeich, not lambda.

Lambda is just a factor telling how much air there is in excess.

Sorry, you correct and that's what I meant. Stoich not lambda. I was trying to put lambda 1 = stoich.

On a side note certain hybrids don't need spinning up any quicker as they already spin up to quickly and surge as a result.
azaiats

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2012, 03:50:07 PM »

Will try the VVT stuff and see what happens. Like I said, I'm running a k04/e05, and it only get full boost at 4k (with stock ECU). This is why I really need to make things to make my turbo spool faster than this. I'll post results here later (waiting for my car to came back from the shop... getting hotter and the g'monkeys still figuring it out).

2003 1.8T AUQ @ 06A906032HP - k04/e05 20psi - 317cc @ 4.5fpr - K&N @ stock box - ceramic clutch - 18" tsw wheels @ yoko's 235/45/18 @ eibach lowered springs

deka's 870cc in on the way down... boost wait for me Wink
marcello7x

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2012, 12:41:45 PM »

leaning it out will also make part throttle mpg better! Im going to start looking into this at some point once i clean up other parts of my tune.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: