Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Warpedhalo's tuning blog  (Read 4266 times)
warpedhalo

« on: June 24, 2012, 07:38:40 PM »

Ok guys… I’m going to paypal the money over to get the checksum corrector for tunerpro after this post and begin to SLOWLY tuning everything. Spen was nice enough a while back to get my definition file in order, and he said I should have everything I need to tune, and I've been reluctant to mess with all of this in-depth tuning because I'm basically scared of it. BUT I'm not sure what the hell I'm scared about considering I'm using lemmiwinks right now, and I have my fuel dialed in as good as i feel it's possible to get with lemmiwinks, logging with vag-com to confirm all of this, and basically everything is going well. Better than when I started messing with it in fact. So it's time to move into the big boy realm. But I'm not 100% sure on how to modify the tables in tunerpro and a few other odds and ends questions that probably can be answered with 1 response and I want to basically make a blog on my tuning and have you guys call me out on mistakes. In my mind, someone in my position is going to run across this thread in the same situation that I am in and want to know the same stuff I want to know, so I'm trying to do this for all of us ya know? May be a bit delusional, but if such a thread were out there I’d read it. So... where to begin?

I decided that I was going to try to start tuning with something small like the rev limiter or something. I say this and it may sound silly to a lot of you guys who are hardcore into this stuff, but because all of these "I bricked my ecu" threads the average guy like myself gets too scared to try it. So to maintain the happy puppies and snuggly rainbows feelings about doing this stuff I wanted to do a small test to feel a bit of accomplishment and re-assurance that it'll all be ok as long as you take everything in small steps. So, it’s my understanding that you can read/flash the ecu on the car just be sure to run a battery charger yes?*  As in voltage loss is the main reason for a bad flash.

*someone please confirm this

And if I were to change my rev limit to say 3k rpm and flash it to the ecu and all is successful I should be able to see my car bounce off the rev limiter like a Honda at 3k rpm when revving it while just sitting there with the gas pedal pressed correct? So that’s the pointless but reassuring test I’d like to do first and I’ll do it and post the results after someone replies to this.

I’d like to point out that I am fully aware that this rev limiter thing is a complete waste of time and may make anyone reading this apprehensive about helping me because it sounds like I’m a total stupid and I’m going to end up blowing up my car. But please know that I’m just being WAY too cautious. It’s strictly for the fuzzy bunny reassurance feelings. I am borderline obsessive on taking it slow when venturing into unsure territory with my car. I try to have as many steps and fail-safes and whatnot that I can. But have faith in me please J. I know what I’m doing and can say that with confidence… but the more you know the more questions you have.

I apologize for the rambling, run-ons, use of words such as “whatnot” and “stuff”, the informal tone, and all of the other stuff my English teacher would have freaked out about. My goal is to build this thread to be a dummy’s guide to tuning, or at least bring out the info needed for one. The s4 tuning wikki is already pretty good but I want to fully elaborate everything.
warpedhalo

« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 12:09:51 AM »

Read 97 times so far and nothing? Really? Well... hoping that it just needs a bump, I did figure out the battery charger thing and it seems that yes it will work. Found it in the http://www.nefariousmotorsports.com/wiki/index.php/Getting_Started section which I didn't find before somehow. My next question is how do I fix the linearization of maf voltage map to not freeze tunerpro? I've read that it's because there are too many columns or rows in the table for tunerpro to handle and you can either fix it by changing it from a million columns to a million rows (or vice versa) or split it into two tables. However I do not know how to do either. Can anyone chime in on this one?
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 09:37:13 PM »

You didn't say what map definitions file you are using. The good ones should already have the axis swapped.

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
littco

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 01:27:42 AM »

I'd say the first thing you should do is learn how to bench flash your ecu in bootmode! That way if you brick your ecu you can recover it. I know it's not mapping but believe me you can learn all you want about how to tune a car but you brick your ecu and you'll either be buying another one, sending it off or spending hours trying to learn how to recover an ecu!

With regards the maf voltage map in tuner pro , it seems if you go anywhere near MLHFM it crashes! It's because it's 512bits long on one axis. The way around this I found was to split it in 3, thus creating a MLHFM 1,2 and 3 . If you try to create a 512 map it tells you it had to be split then crashes, if you try to create a 256 map it crashes so I ended up with 2 * 200 column maps and 1 112! Right ball ache!  Now I don't know if it was just the xdf I used as the original base but it had 512 columns and 277 rows , it crashed every time I went near it. It should be 512 by 1 So that got deleted and I used the above. Honest though if you say are fitting an s3 maf into a a4 or similar then just use a hex editor and copy and paste the hex over from one to the other! Far easier especially if you have a known working maf map.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: