Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Timing Retard and what causes it...  (Read 11708 times)
boomerro

« on: July 23, 2012, 10:41:30 PM »

according the the s4wiki (not sure how accurate any more) the timing retard is caused by 3 things.
  • long-term(CF)
    Medium term (IAT)
    short term (KV)

I am wondering when logging how to tell what is timing being pulled due to knock.  I know I can log knock voltage and I read through the tread talking about what safe knock voltage is, but that just confused me more... lol.    I am not as smart as most of you guys and I come from the subaru and dsm scene where "knock" is the timing being pulled due to knock voltage reaching a limit. 

Is there any way to figure out if the timing being pulled is due to CF's, IAT's or KV? 

I am ok with the ecu pulling timing due to IAT, that is safe and normal, but I want to be able to check if its being pulled due to Knock voltage, or maybe what the safe knock voltage is for a motor.    Also in the subaru world it was possible to check with a program called Learning View what the stored Ignition Timing Correction Factors were.  Is there any way to log this, or check this with ECUx or ME7 logger or other software?

Ive been searching and there doesn't seem to be clear info on what timing retard is actual knock and what is just due to IAT, or how to see what the CFs are.     

seems as though bob was closest to being able to figure out what timing being pulled is timing to actually be concerned about. 
What you see in your logs are applied ignition corrections of the knock control including adaption values. The maximum retard due to knock control is limited to KRMXN! If you learn high adaption values it will take the adaption quite a while to get ign <back to normal>.
The mean value of the last 6 ignition corrections dwkrz(x) due to knock control also influence the max. allowed load in LDRXN. It has a long term adaption which becomes active above RLKRLDA.
The correction factor for LDRXN can be found in KFFLLDE. How fast the adaption works can be influenced by TLKRLDAB and TLKRLDAU.
If there are any specific questions just feel free to ask.

Here is a 3rd gear log I did showing Timing retard and Knock Voltage from ECUx

car is an rs6 turbo car with a vast tune

« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 11:10:09 PM by boomerro » Logged

The goal of this site is to openly discuss ME7 tuning and promote good practices.
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2012, 11:46:02 PM »

There are several things that pull timing.

The most common are:

1) CF (knock)
2) ARMD (anti judder)
3) torque monitoring

All three have been covered extensively in several threads on Nef and in the s4wiki tuning page.

Your "summary" is wrong as well; not sure where you got that information

CF is not long term (there are both long and short term corrections)
IAT is not medium term (IAT generally only causes timing to be pulled due to more knock)
KV is not short term (it goes into the long and short term CF terms after being filtered)

I will update the s4 wiki tuning page time permitting.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 11:49:32 PM by nyet » Logged

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
boomerro

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2012, 11:47:48 PM »

There are several things that pull timing.

The most common are:

1) CF (knock)
2) ARMD (anti judder)
3) torque monitoring

All three have been covered extensively in several threads on Nef
Your summary is wrong as well, not sure where you got that information

CF is not long term (there are both long and short term corrections)
IAT is not medium term (IAT generally only causes timing to be pulled due to more knock)
KV is not short term (it goes into the long and short term CF terms after being filtered)

I will update the s4 wiki tuning page time permitting.

I got it from your s4 wiki... lol.

The goal of this site is to openly discuss ME7 tuning and promote good practices.
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2012, 11:50:00 PM »

I don't see those anywhere in the tuning page :/

ECUx Plot

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
boomerro

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2012, 11:54:24 PM »

I don't see those anywhere in the tuning page :/

http://s4wiki.com/wiki/Timing

this is the page I got it from.

I am really confused as to how the ecu's handle knock and pull timing based off knock.   I want to know if the knock voltage I am running is safe, and if the timing retard is due to knock or something else...  In the subaru and dsm world no timing being pulled is acceptable.   I don't know if under 10 degrees of timing retard is acceptable because the s4 motor is a bit more tough or if the ecu is better (faster) or if the timing is being pulled from some outside factor.   Can anyone explain more on this? 

@lq!

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2012, 04:18:30 AM »

Does it cause to wrongly tuned maf scale ? because engine load will calculated wrongly.. do you have a any idea about that ?
professor

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2012, 04:37:52 AM »

Under 30V with stock knock sensitivity you are ok.

Seat Ibiza MK4 Cupra 1.8t 20V, stg3.
"Those 1.8T 20V machines are really tough" ©
phila_dot

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2012, 04:53:48 AM »

What you see in dwkrz_* is timing being pulled due to current knock or adapted values. Zwbas is also offset for other conditions such as IAT and dynamic conditions (wkrdy), but that is not reflected when you log "CF's".

Does it cause to wrongly tuned maf scale ? because engine load will calculated wrongly.. do you have a any idea about that ?

Yes, knock sensitivity is adjusted for load/rpm.
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2012, 08:18:07 AM »

http://s4wiki.com/wiki/Timing

this is the page I got it from.

Ugh. I need to update that page. Thanks for the heads up.

I am really confused as to how the ecu's handle knock and pull timing based off knock.

The knock signal goes through a lot of filtering. The raw knock voltages really don't tell you much, since they are highly dependent on load, rpm, and cylinder (there are only two knock sensors, and they are nearest to cyls 2 and 5, so 2 and 5 will always read higher)

I want to know if the knock voltage I am running is safe

Look at your CFs

and if the timing retard is due to knock or something else

You'll have to log for that. If you don't see it in CF, it is something else

I don't know if under 10 degrees of timing retard is acceptable because the s4 motor is a bit more tough or if the ecu is better (faster) or if the timing is being pulled from some outside factor.

ME7 is very aggressive about pulling timing, much more so than many other systems.

ECUx Plot

boomerro

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2012, 02:15:27 PM »

thanks for the help nyet, I read through the knock voltage thread again and it looks like the ecu in these cars is a lot smarter than others.  It does a good job of telling what types of knock are dangerous and such and does complicated calculations and filtering to pull the correct amount of timing.

thanks for the help!

pvl

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2012, 03:06:40 PM »

Hi all,

i think my friend @lq! means this question not in general (ME7.x based), but for the older ecu's (M3.8.3)

My belief is, that the sensitivity is determined in a knock-map. Other maps don't have influence
on that ? Please correct AND explain if this information is not right.

Thanks,

PvL
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 03:08:46 PM by pvl » Logged
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2012, 03:55:33 PM »

Unfortunately, I am only familiar with ME7 Sad

ECUx Plot

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: