Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Drive by Cable 1.8t AGU: Wide band logging option?  (Read 8926 times)
Sirocco20348

« on: September 17, 2013, 11:59:26 PM »

I am getting ahead of myself here...

But just out of curiosity what is a cost effective way of wide band logging a drive by cable 1.8t AGU powered vehicle?
eliotroyano

« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2013, 06:22:25 PM »

I am getting ahead of myself here...
But just out of curiosity what is a cost effective way of wide band logging a drive by cable 1.8t AGU powered vehicle?
M383 is narrowband by default so the way is add an external datalogger box. Personally I am using an Innovate LC-1 Wideband controller with a SSI-4 datalogger box. I am datalogging O2 wideband (via LC-1), RPM (from ECU), Boost (via external sensor), EGT (via external sensor) and Oil Pressure (via external sensor). It works really good.
Many people have used narrowband simulated signal from LC-1 just to use the plug in the downpipe. This signal doesn't have enough resolution from AFR control. Inclusive it is not useful because ECU goes open loop control when it see boost.
Sirocco20348

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2013, 10:40:02 PM »

Sensational reply, much appreciated.

All the gear looks very affordable.

Here are some links for people:

http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/products/lc1.php

http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/products/ssi_4.php
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 10:49:46 PM by Sirocco20348 » Logged
ddillenger

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2013, 11:00:34 PM »

I have the Innovate handheld portable LM2 and a tailpipe sniffer for pre-ME7. Works well.

Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience!

Email/Google chat:
DDillenger84(at)gmail(dot)com

Email>PM
Sirocco20348

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2013, 11:42:32 PM »

Thanks ddlilenger, the handheld unit looks like a nice piece of equipment.

Links: http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/xcart/product.php?productid=16321
Sirocco20348

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2013, 03:28:16 AM »

I have some questions about rpm logging with the devices above:

ddilenger: I have a question about the LM2. I was reading this review on the LM2 and they were having troubles with logging rpm accurately. Do you encounter this problem?

Review: http://www.digitalreviews.net/reviews/automotive/innovate-lm-2-vs-zeitronix-zt-2-airfuel-ratio-meter-comparison-review.html

eliotroyano: How do you record the data with the SSI-4? with a PL-1? and then analyse on a computer?
Also how do you sync the AFR reading from the LC-1 with the rpm from the ecu?

Update: Found this.."There's an analog cable that comes with and plugs into the LM2. The Black/White wire of the cable is where a tach signal gets connected to. ...

Do you guys slice the tach signal ?
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 03:51:48 AM by Sirocco20348 » Logged
eliotroyano

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2013, 05:33:40 AM »

I have some questions about rpm logging with the devices above:
ddilenger: I have a question about the LM2. I was reading this review on the LM2 and they were having troubles with logging rpm accurately. Do you encounter this problem?
Review: http://www.digitalreviews.net/reviews/automotive/innovate-lm-2-vs-zeitronix-zt-2-airfuel-ratio-meter-comparison-review.html
eliotroyano: How do you record the data with the SSI-4? with a PL-1? and then analyse on a computer?
Also how do you sync the AFR reading from the LC-1 with the rpm from the ecu?
Update: Found this.."There's an analog cable that comes with and plugs into the LM2. The Black/White wire of the cable is where a tach signal gets connected to. ...
Do you guys slice the tach signal ?

I datalog this signals: O2 wideband, RPM, Boost, EGT and Oil Pressure directly from the SSI-4 box. In the past I tryied to figure out how to sync the KW1281 RPM signal from my non-OBD2 M383 ECU with Innovate O2 signal (5V analog or ISP2 protocol) signal from LC-1 but I don't have luck. Then I use the SSI-4 box. I mean is not impossible but needs some software skills in that moment I don't have.
The SSI-4 is receiving the signals this way:
1.- O2 signal directly from the ISP2 serial signal from the LC-1,
2.- RPM (frequency signal) via M383 ECU pin #6 conditioned through a 2KOhms pull-down resistor.
3.- Boost (5V linear signal) via a GM 3Bar boost sensor.
4.- EGT (5v linear signal) via VEMS K-Thermocouple Amplifier module.
5.- Oil Pressure (5v linear signal) via 100psi oil pressure sensor.
Then using LogWorks you can made nice datalogs for tuning diagnostics.

About the LM-2 I think the case is similar to my Innovate SSI-4 box. LogWorks software, not LM-2, should sync input signals like RPM from OBD2 PIDs or analog input. But should be easy doable I think.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: