Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Bricked Porsche 996 Turbo ECU  (Read 8459 times)
Rabbid

« on: August 11, 2013, 01:21:52 PM »

Hi All

I've had a bit of an issue with a Porsche 996 Turbo, was helping out a mate on the side which kind of back fired. Ended up writing the file with MagPro after an old version of WinOLS promised me checksums were updated and bricked the thing.

I've got a genuine Kess v2 master went all the way to the workshop (90 miles) tried to recover it no luck so wondering if anyone in the UK has tools or links to someone at Porsche that could potentially do a boot mode recovery please get in touch and let me know the price to fix this.

Lesson learnt, new car use a tool you trust..

Regards
Richard
Rabbid

« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2013, 06:09:18 AM »

I've managed to revive it, for those that don't know if you kill the power for the ECU you can connect to it for the first boot only.

Interestringly WinOLS 1.721 claimed to have done the checksums, I've now used Kess which claims checksum correction but I can only start the car once after a flash, once the dash is off and on again then it fails to boot.

With the standard file it flashes then starts everytime.
IamwhoIam

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2013, 07:58:10 AM »

Back when WinOLS 1.721 was the current official version, 996 turbo checksums were never an issue.

I have no logs because I have a boost gauge (makes things easier)
Rabbid

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2013, 02:36:10 PM »

This is what I am confused about.. The file was altered in 1.721 as I don't have the right dll for 2.24.

Claimed checksum was fine, flashed file with MagPro2 clone as it was at home helping a mate and it wouldn't start up after and wouldn't talk to me anymore.

After working out the battery check I attempted to flash with a genuine Kess V2 Master and still had issues. Kess claimed it could correct checksums. I then read out the file that Kess V2 wrote and it was different from what WinOLS 1.721 produced.

I then got desperate and used ECM to checksum and they claim its correct.

So perhaps it's not checksums, but something else? I worked from the original binary off the car which has the same HW SW numbers as the version commonly available online but a slightly different binary layout as it seems to have a different SW UPGRADE number. But this isn't a problem as I ported the maps I needed easily enough and for now I was just requesting a bit more load to check what tools worked and get a feel for where to start.

Anyone experienced with Porsches know of any issue I could be running into here?
overspeed

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2013, 03:35:46 PM »

I saw in other forum something about this CKS issues when making by OBD in MY2004 forwards...

try to alter just one bit in some know map and see if it happens again...
Rabbid

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2013, 03:57:54 AM »

Hmm perhaps i should downgrade it to the older version supplied here
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: