Pages: [1]
Author Topic: First step in tuning  (Read 3297 times)
overclockedpc

« on: August 24, 2015, 01:09:33 AM »

So, I'm obviously very new to this and I understand the process of reading and flashing, entering boot mode, immo deletes, etc.

So, after I get the stock file read and on my pc, and have it open in Tuner Pro with the appropriate maps, where do I start with tuning? Do we start with fuel, boost or timing?

As far as fuel goes, I know there's a lot of calculating to do and I know the values are all explained in the wiki, but how do I know how much fuel I'll need for a certain amount of boost? Obviously, I won't know 100% until tuning and logging, but how do I figure out my starting point?

Boost seems a lot more straightforward, ramp up to my desires boost, and back if off closer to redline to keep boost at a reasonable level for the next gear, correct?

Ignition is another story altogether, but I figure I could look at stock and tuned files to try and figure out what is going on with ignition timing, and with the 12 or so degrees of retard the ecu will pull in stock form, I'm guessing I have plenty of room for error there, correct?

I know I'm basically asking someone to hold my hand through the process, but I'm essentially looking for a bit of a head start to tuning....I typically learn better by doing, rather than reading and if I could get a half-tuned file on my car and working from there, I feel like it'll make more sense to me.

Thank you all for the amount of info and help you've put on this forum!
ddillenger

« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2015, 01:20:30 AM »

You start learning the concepts before putting them into practice. This next part is going to sound condescending, but it's not. Pickup a book on the principles of forced induction internal combustion engines and learn a bit of the basics. Then start reading the tuning wiki. I don't think you're quite ready for this stage however as you are already asking the wrong questions. Before starting this process, you should have a goal in mind. Ex: A turbocharged engine running x octane will operate most efficiently at x lambda. How do I achieve that? Ex: Here is my compressor map, peak efficiency is at x. What do I need to do to achieve this?

Then, use the tools here to reach that goal.

Or, just jump right in I suppose. It's incredibly hard to disable enough safeguards to melt an engine on stock hardware. I personally would choose the former however Tongue

Welcome, and good luck.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 01:25:52 AM by ddillenger » Logged

Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience!

Email/Google chat:
DDillenger84(at)gmail(dot)com

Email>PM
overclockedpc

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2015, 01:30:37 AM »

I agree with what you just said. Learn the concepts before putting them into practice. The way my brain interprets that is "tune a file, ask the pros their opinions, if it's safe and makes sense, put it on an ECU and log the results".

Don't worry about sounding condescending with me, I don't get easily offended.

My only problem with reading to learn is that my personality doesn't allow me the patience to read without practicing the concepts I'm studying. For example, if I read about the process of immo delete, and don't try it for myself, I'll forget the steps and software required, but if I read about it and then do it, it'll get engraved in my memory. I guess my brain works like flash memory; if you don't press the write button, all changes are lost immediately lol

How does this sound for a plan? Write the community project file to an ECU, log and modify and relog to see my changes in action. Could I break something by trying to do this that way?
ddillenger

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2015, 01:40:58 AM »

Rather than writing the community file, read the thread from start to finish, implement the changes yourself, and observe the cause and effect. That is if you want to learn.

Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience!

Email/Google chat:
DDillenger84(at)gmail(dot)com

Email>PM
overclockedpc

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2015, 01:59:12 AM »

Thank you! That's what I'll do Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: