Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16
Author Topic: 2001 Audi A4 with 2.7 single turbo swap  (Read 174168 times)
marcellus

« Reply #195 on: May 20, 2012, 02:33:39 PM »

I think I just found out why my fueling took a crap on me out of the blue.  My flow straightener came dislodged and was sitting crooked resting against the MAF sensor.  I put a couple dabs of goop on it to hold it in place,  and did a few little tweaks to my file and the fueling has been holding consistent again.  I also rerouted the open port from the N75 back into the intake just after the MAF.  I figured it was probably bleeding off metered air, and it was plumbed this way stock.  Idle STFT are holding pretty solid.  The banks are pretty close...good enough to dial in.  

The car still doesnt to be held in one range for too long.  Eventually the trims will start to go their seprate ways.  I tried turning off the trims with raising the values in RLLRUN, but I was unsure if I had the map defined properly since I just copied it from the Gbox XDF.  Raising the values did seem to eliminate the ECM control of the O2, but with all the other issues I was having, I didnt feel comfortable pushing it with my jacked up fueling map.  I felt I needed the ecm to correct some just in case I did something wrong, or if the ecm started to dump or pull a bunch of fuel like it has done before.

Once I find the actual info to define the RLLRUN map I would like to slowly raise the load little by little one rpm band at a time, disabling STFT for small sections for fueling and really dial in the KFKHFM.

I also need to figure out which map to tweak to get the "increasing loads" type of fueling a little better.  The fuel trims are showing that the ECM is adding up to about 10% at times on throttle...picking up speed.  Steady state is pretty solid.

Lastly, I am still overboosting.  I dont think there is enough AR with the VGT fully open to stop or slow spool once it gets spinning.  I am still trying to dial in the PID and think I am getting a small idea on the areas that I need to adjust.  It is really nice to be able to tune the response of the turbo, versus just allowing the VGT do whatever.  

...AND a log.

« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 03:02:53 PM by marcellus » Logged
marcellus

« Reply #196 on: June 07, 2012, 08:26:57 PM »

Thanks to you guys and posting all that useful tuning info, I now have to replace the tranny.  I was trying to do a quick 1,2,3 log and blew third gear up.  I am still not ready or willing to go 6 speed yet, so I am just going to swap in the 2.8 5 speed.  Hopefully the taller gearing will help MPG and maybe stretch out first and second.
jibberjive

« Reply #197 on: July 17, 2012, 05:55:52 PM »

nah nah, sounds legit.   i'm trying to develop a matlab routine to automatically parse pulls and derive corrections from such information.  have you tangibly seen your STFT's go down?  can you show some examples?
Any way I can help contribute to that?  Such a tool would be very useful, and I'm more than willing to help in any way I can.
marcellus

« Reply #198 on: July 18, 2012, 08:59:14 PM »

I am reworking my MAF setup:

I milled a bit off of the spare housing I had and shaved all the extra bosses and crap off of it.  I was trying to shorten it up, but its still a really tight fit.
marcellus

« Reply #199 on: July 18, 2012, 09:03:30 PM »

With that work being done, I am still have some things to figure out.

I am considering relocating the brake booster closer to the charge piping and routing the filter/intake at the end of the bend I am holding up in the picture.  Do you guys think the bend being so close to the MAF will screw crap up?  I am running a flow straightener.
marcellus

« Reply #200 on: October 13, 2012, 02:08:21 PM »

I finally got time in my schedule to up grade the fuel system a bit:
IE rails, 034 FPR adapter, fittings and connectors I bought and modified and had some welded.

Passengers side rail:

Drivers side rail:

My boy Mikey at ASP putting it together for me:

Some finish work:  polished fittings, polished FPR adapter.  The black got old in just a couple of days.
marcellus

« Reply #201 on: October 13, 2012, 07:26:02 PM »

After a week of modifying fittings, and planning on where to place components routing the lines I ended up with this:

ddillenger

« Reply #202 on: October 13, 2012, 09:15:27 PM »

That turbo is an he351 correct? Keep an eye on it, the vgt's (vanes) on those tend to stick, generally closed. Looks like an interesting project.

Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience!

Email/Google chat:
DDillenger84(at)gmail(dot)com

Email>PM
marcellus

« Reply #203 on: October 19, 2012, 09:46:09 PM »

Yes its a HE351-VE.  I took a pencil grinder and clearanced the vanes a little bit to give them a bit more room with the elevated EGT.
marcellus

« Reply #204 on: October 19, 2012, 10:03:16 PM »

I had a unfortunate event that gave me a bunch of time to do some freshening up this week.

ddillenger

« Reply #205 on: October 20, 2012, 01:00:34 AM »

I was going to powdercoat my vcs when I had them off this week, but you can't see them with the y-pipe and engine covers on, so I just cleaned the 12 years of grease off of them. Clean up that wiring!

On another note-is that RTV I see between the throttle body and intake? Remove it, and get a gasket! That stuff doesn't survive fuel vapor.

Good luck!

Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience!

Email/Google chat:
DDillenger84(at)gmail(dot)com

Email>PM
marcellus

« Reply #206 on: November 19, 2012, 02:30:14 PM »

I decided to machine my own coil pack adapters and get rid of the 034 pieces.  The only real difference is the countersunk holes and a bit better finish.  
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #207 on: November 19, 2012, 02:31:27 PM »

I can't wait to see this beast running

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
marcellus

« Reply #208 on: December 14, 2012, 12:53:21 PM »

More changes:  I just ordered up a HPX PMAS, aluminum flange, and pigtail.  Hopefully I will be able to get blow through to work.  I cant stand how my intake is set up, and blow through is how I origanally planned the project.
marcellus

« Reply #209 on: January 02, 2013, 03:25:11 PM »

UPDATE:

My friends at ASP are redoing my up and down pipes new wastegate and dump, new aluminum coolant tank and a surge tank/catch can combo
ASP making me some new goodies:

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16
  Print  

Jump to: